Author Topic: Moar Globular Warming!  (Read 1719 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Moar Globular Warming!
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »
Or not.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/02/20/delingpole-noaa-caught-adjusting-big-freeze-out-of-existence/

Surprise! NOAA has been cooking the books again, this time to make the big January 2018 deep freeze into more of a sauna. Question: Do they really think nobody is going to notice when they fudge the numbers like this?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Moar Globular Warming!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:47 PM »
It sure would be nice to hear about a housecleaning at that place.  The Commerce Secretary is a Trump appointee, but I don't know if he is the housecleaning type.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »
How dare you question the sciencing dudes?
The sciencing dudes too busy sciencing to save the earf to be concerned with details that don't fit the consensuses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
Aw, give NOAA a break.  You can't say an area is getting colder just because an arctic cold front moves across it.

Jeeze, you guys are sooo picky.  Clearly, having a cold front show up just generates anomalous data which must be corrected with good scientific wisdom.  [barf]

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:05:20 AM »

Record low (+5°F) for this day of the year for the Denver area .  Obviously this data was affected by a cold front and should be adjusted upward to somewhere above the last record low (for this day) set about 100 years ago.

After all, since it was so long between these lows, the data for today must be regarded as untypical and therefore adjusted upward. Let's call it 45°F, OK?  Snow should be gone by tomorrow morning.

>:D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:30:43 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »
We had Glubular Cooling here in Ft. Myers Beach in January.  Now we's got Glubular Worming this month.  I wonder what March will be?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
We had Glubular Cooling here in Ft. Myers Beach in January.  Now we's got Glubular Worming this month.  I wonder what March will be?

Tell me about it..  Spent a week in Sanibel during that time and it didn't get over 67.  Which beats the hell out of Ohio,  but one still hopes for a bit of heat in FL.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »
NOAA is in the newz again:

https://realclimatescience.com/2018/03/noaa-data-tampering-approaching-2-5-degrees/

For (you guessed it) fudging the numbers on global warming.

I don't get it. If they want us to have a discussion about global warming (or climate change, or whatever the nomme du jour is), how about starting the discussion with honest data? Then maybe there can be an honest discussion. As it is, they're just proving that Mark Twain was right when he said (or wrote), "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
Does NOAA say why they adjusted the temperatures?  Or do they admit to it?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »

How dare you question the sciencing of your betters? It is settled sciencing and will brook no questions or deplorable deniers.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:41:03 PM »
One reason often given is that changes in protocol or surroundings for measurement locations requires adjustments.  That is, if measurements were taken in the morning and the standard shifted to middle of the day tests then they have to account for that.  Or, if a measuring station was placed in a greenbelt but due to development was impacted by an urban heat island, they'd have to adjust for that.

Thing is, their adjustments are always up, not down, which isn't what you'd do in the case of a heat island.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 10:05:40 PM »
Thing is, their adjustments are always up, not down, which isn't what you'd do in the case of a heat island.

This is a big problem I have with what I've been reading on adjustments. Geostatistically, there should be some downtrends as well, but they never seem to make it above statistical noise in the raw data to model conversions. Conversely, the heat island affect is much more pronounced in recent decades versus in older data, often due to very rapid development in station locations. If anything, I would expect to see some downtrends in aggregate data over the last few decades specifically correcting for heat islands springing up near WX stations.

It seems like they're spending more time correcting "older and inaccurate data" than they are ground-truthing current WX stations (of which there are many, many more) that may have had an asphalt pad laid next to them five years ago or whatever.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."