Author Topic: Entities Boycotting the NRA  (Read 29161 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Entities Boycotting the NRA
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 01:01:34 AM »
Just seen a facebook post where someone shared a screenshot of someone from Australia who posted that they just bought an NRA membership. :rofl:

<Mr. Burns> Excellent <Mr. Burns>
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 01:19:28 AM »
Not proof of anything, but chatter on other gun forums has included a lot of "I finally got off my butt and joined" and "I just kicked in an extra donation to the NRA."

I believe it. I reinstated my lapsed membership right after the Sandy Hook massacre.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2018, 05:34:14 AM »
Life member, can't lapse.

If my clothes washer hadn't just eaten it's own drum, I'd be kicking some money over to them now.  :(

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »
I just saw an (unverified) estimate that NRA membership grew by 500,000 over the weekend.

On the boycotting, it looks like even liberal Warren Buffett uses common sense, which makes sense considering how he acquired his wealth. Sadly, Blackrock, which also administers the Federal TSP retirement fund, is apparently looking at divesting from firearms related stuff. You can't really do that with an index tracking fund, but it's vexing that the people who handle my money would consider politicizing my money. MY money, not their money.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/warren-buffett-dont-think-berkshire-should-say-were-not-going-to-do-business-with-people-who-own-guns
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
Dad heard today that because of all the NRA hate people *without* guns are even joining now.  :rofl: I don't know where he heard it, but I actually believe it.
Of course they don't have guns.  When the media polster calls them asking if they are a gun owner, they clearly say "No". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
Yup. Bad idea.

I understand where he's coming from, but you don't want gov to butt into stuff like this. Anytime something like this is brought up, I ask myself what I would think if it was used for something I didn't like. The Harry Reid rule is a good yardstick for "when stuff backfires". Or possibly "What's good for the goose is good for the gander". Or, "Be careful what you wish for". :)

It's a bad idea and I don't want to live in a country that does this.

However, given the left has already gone down this route (remember the "boycotts" from cities and states over the Religious Freedom bills?) I'm no longer opposed to this stuff.

The left has removed the gloves. They must be made to play by their own rules until they are ready to act civilly again.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
Erick Erickson, who I believe is a GA native, explains some of the back-story on GA/Delta. Starts about 1m 40s.

https://ricochet.com/podcast/erick-erickson-show/a-bully-by-any-other-name/

He says Delta has been throwing its weight around in the state, pushing it to the left. While he doesn't approve of Delta being punished for being anti-NRA, his message for Delta is "live by crony capitalism, die by crony capitalism."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2018, 06:17:26 PM »
Here's a new twist I just heard...  Jeni' s ice cream (overpriced gourmet crap) is going to stop using FedEx for shipping unless FedEx dumps the NRA...

http://www.businessinsider.com/fedex-nra-deal-sparks-boycott-from-jenis-ice-cream-2018-2
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »
That one tweet about choosing the NRA over the American people made me laugh. It's like they don't realize that the NRA is made up of, wait for it, American people.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
That one tweet about choosing the NRA over the American people made me laugh. It's like they don't realize that the NRA is made up of, wait for it, American people.

Well, there is at least one Australian . . .
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
Here's a new twist I just heard...  Jeni' s ice cream (overpriced gourmet crap) is going to stop using FedEx for shipping unless FedEx dumps the NRA...

http://www.businessinsider.com/fedex-nra-deal-sparks-boycott-from-jenis-ice-cream-2018-2

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  She thinks that her 100,000+ shipments a year is going to make a dent in FedEx's bottom line when (according to FedEx's own page) they handle >14,000,000 a day.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  She thinks that her 100,000+ shipments a year is going to make a dent in FedEx's bottom line when (according to FedEx's own page) they handle >14,000,000 a day.

Well, has-been band Blink 182 or whatever their name is also boycotted Fedex. What do they do, ten packages a year?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »

If it saves just one life makes enough customers think she's woke AF.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
Not looking too good for entities boycotting the NRA
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/02/28/backfire-alert-heres-some-unsettling-news-for-all-companies-that-caved-to-threats-from-the-anti-nra-crowd/

Ahem.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA<Breathe>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Who could ever have guessed that spitting on people (we'll call it, minimum ~25% of the country) might have negative conseqences? Something, something, basket of deplorables?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »
I'm calling Delta to complain.  They had a 68 min waiting time to speak to a rep.  They are supposedly going to call me back.

Here's there number:

1 (800) 221-1212

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
I know there's at least one thing I need that I can order from Amazon today. I think I'll also stream a few segments of NRA TV from both Amazon and my Roku. :)

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/01/today-is-alyssa-milanos-march1nraboycott-of-amazon-apple-and-fedex-everyone-shop-stream-and-ship/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »
I know there's at least one thing I need that I can order from Amazon today. I think I'll also stream a few segments of NRA TV from both Amazon and my Roku. :)

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/01/today-is-alyssa-milanos-march1nraboycott-of-amazon-apple-and-fedex-everyone-shop-stream-and-ship/

I ordered a couple of gun bits, but this would also have been appropriate.

https://www.amazon.com/Hands-Off-My-Gun-Defeating/dp/1455584339/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1455584339&pd_rd_r=K42DMYXFY8YR7ZYMEHWP&pd_rd_w=FHM2Z&pd_rd_wg=9KYPk&psc=1&refRID=K42DMYXFY8YR7ZYMEHWP

Should we send one to Alyssa?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
I've never watched NRA-TV; is it any good?  I have a Roku now.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »

I've never watched it actually, but just thought this would be a good time to check it out.  =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2018, 10:16:01 PM »

I just got it. The American Rifleman show was decently interesting. The talking heads stuff is talking heads, but for background noise it's better then the talking heads on CNN. (I've had the live stream on for about an hour)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »
Well, it looks like Delta has made a fool of itself (and likely pissed off its shareholders). Digging, by USA Today no less, showed that Delta has only ever issued 13 - yes, thirteen - NRA discounted tickets. Compare that to how many NRA members and others are now booking other airlines.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/02/now-that-is-funny-turns-out-deltas-gun-control-pr-stunt-was-even-stupider-than-you-thought/

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
Yeah. I don’t think I’ve ever actually used my NRA card for a discount. I’d bet most members don’t. A lot of companies are going to lose a lot of potential customers who never used NRA membership status for discounts, but now will remember who they won’t do business with again.

I also think a lot of people get caught up in thinking the NRA only has those 5 million members number that is often referred to. I’d bet it is more like 5 to 10 times that number that consider themselves members. I’ve personally considered myself a member since I was in my teens, but I didn’t always actually have a paid membership. I’d guess like many forget to renew for awhile, then renew for a year or three; then forget for awhile again. The whole time they would still side with and consider themselves a member so to speak.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2018, 03:44:08 PM »
George Will wrote about that in 2004:

AARP (formerly the American Association of Retired Persons), with nearly 36 million members, is the nation's third-largest organization (behind the Catholic Church and the American Automobile Association). The NRA has "only" 4 million adult members. Thirty states and the District of Columbia have smaller voting-age populations. And whereas slightly more than 50 percent of age-eligible Americans have voted in recent elections (51 percent voted in 2000), about 95 percent of NRA members vote. Liberals who lament voter apathy should be careful what they wish for.

Each of the 4 million pays $35 in annual dues. Polls indicate that another 14 million Americans think that they are NRA members and an additional 28 million think they are affiliated in some way with the NRA because of their membership in one or more of the 35,000 shooting and hunting clubs.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »