Author Topic: Lonesome Dove  (Read 971 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Lonesome Dove
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
It doesn't matter how many times I see it, it still breaks me up when I see Woodrow Call say goodbye to Augustus McCrae.

One of the best westerns ever made.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Lonesome Dove
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:48:59 PM »
Missed it when it was new, purchased the VHS set. Never watched it for some reason.

Now I don't have a functioning VHS drive.

Maybe I'll get it on DVD.

Read the book though, awesome.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Re: Lonesome Dove
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:22:08 PM »
Missed it when it was new, purchased the VHS set. Never watched it for some reason.

It's an excellent saga. Have seen it 3 or 4 times.

Sent from my electronical brick via Tap-O-Crap!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Lonesome Dove
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:23:53 PM »
It's an excellent saga. Have seen it 3 or 4 times.

Don't know how my reply ended up on your post. New tp Tapatalk

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »

Check goodwill. They have functional VHS players all the time.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
I read the book a long time ago and just recently both reread it, and am currently reading the other three books in the saga, which I had not read before. As much as I love westerns, for whatever reason, I'd never seen Lonesome Dove and decided to watch it after the second reading of the book. It was indeed a great mini-series.

One interesting thing I noticed is that if I had not read the book before watching it, I'm not sure I would have liked it as much. Not because of the acting or script, but because the mini-series "scene jumps" in ways that, had I not been prepared for the scene from the book, I would have felt like things were disjointed. I think that actually comes from the mini-series trying to stay as close to the book as possible. It's a nearly 1000 page book, so there's only so much you can squeeze into around a 12 hour TV show. Of course it could be that I felt that way because I had read the book first.  :laugh:

So definitely watch the series, but read the book first.

Oh, and it's available as (pay to rent or own) streaming on Amazon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
 I didn't read the book, all i got out of L Dove is that there is this guy, he is in love with a corpse that he takes everywhere with him.
Some attractive lady is also in love with the corpse but like the dude guy is handy with a gun so he gets to keep the corpse.
              The End.

Love Dove isn't nearly the great western movie, doesn't come close to Once Upon A Time In The West or Liberty Valence
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."