Author Topic: Why Parkland?  (Read 1530 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Why Parkland?
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
I'm still asking why the Parkland shooting seems to have turned our gun rights "discussion" back to the 90s.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27562/walsh-parkland-shootinglas-vegas-matt-walsh

https://ricochet.com/498051/a-tale-of-two-shootings/

I think the media wanted to focus on this, because the shooter could be made to look like a Trump supporter comitting hate crimes, and an AR was used. Then they stayed, because there were some students ready to push gun control. Also, some have suggested that the media attention is about turning Florida blue, electorally.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Why Parkland?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »
I think it is because affluent suburban white children were the victims, and that plays well in the media and it strikes a chord with a large segment of the population.  More so than gangbangers killing each other in the inner city.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »
I think it is because affluent suburban white children were the victims, and that plays well in the media and it strikes a chord with a large segment of the population.  More so than gangbangers killing each other in the inner city.

Affluent suburban white children were victims at Columbine and Sandy Hook as well.

The midterms this year could be a factor.  Democrats are counting on winning the Senate (and possibly the House) to counter Trump.  Since the economy is doing well, the Trump-Russia collusion story has been a nothingburger, and things on the international front are relatively quiet, gun control is pretty much all they have to use.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
I think you also have a Sheriff's department that has been playing political games (ignoring crimes) for a while to make the schools look better and get more state funding.  I think they were pretty desperate to put blame on something other than themselves.  The more details I hear about it the more dirty it all looks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:12:44 PM »
Affluent suburban white children were victims at Columbine and Sandy Hook as well.

The midterms this year could be a factor.  Democrats are counting on winning the Senate (and possibly the House) to counter Trump.  Since the economy is doing well, the Trump-Russia collusion story has been a nothingburger, and things on the international front are relatively quiet, gun control is pretty much all they have to use.

Yeah, but Columbine happened in the middle of the last "assault" weapons ban, and didn't some extra legislation come out because of it?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »
Yeah, but Columbine happened in the middle of the last "assault" weapons ban, and didn't some extra legislation come out because of it?

Not Federally.  Some states (including Colorado) added some restrictions.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
The perfect storm and the other side has learned its lessons.

They knew that our side would wait and allow the families to grieve.  They were waving the bloody shirts before the bodies were cold.

They had teenagers, not elementary school kids, to be the(ir) voice(s).

They need something to flog the R's with for the Midterms. Trump-hate, Russia, Tax-cuts, etc. are all loser issues for them.  They need something.

And yes, the Sheriff, School (board), and FBI need to demonize someone else to keep the spotlight off their failures and misdeeds.  Who better then the NRA ??

We got caught flat footed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:07:11 PM »
Thing is most of the bad guys in this deal are corrupt Democrats.  If the Stupid Party had any brains or guts they'd point that out.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 08:52:16 PM »
Thing is most of the bad guys in this deal are corrupt Democrats.  If the Stupid Party had any brains or guts they'd point that out.

The don't like being the majority party and *want* to lose the midterms.  It's good for fundraising, plus that way they don't have to actually do anything.  It's not stupid so much as it's lazy.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
Democrats were just waiting for another incident, and jumped on it with both feet. The agenda-driven media was in on it, and nearly continuous coverage is still going on.

Maybe the shooting itself wasn't planned, but everything that followed was prepared, orchestrated, and IMHO funded in advance.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 04:52:53 AM »
Chicago and other high murder rate ghetto ass cities are 100% the fault of Democrats so that is why gangbangers killing each other in massive numbers never makes the news like a school shooting. "Failures, what failures? It's always a Utopia when we are in charge, Comrade!"

Just like when inevitably the school shooters are revealed as being hard left that is hushed up. If it wasn't for those pesky right wingers digging *expletive deleted*it up and collaborating on tbe internet that stuff would never be known.

Dead kids in big groups also are a lot more valuable for attention whoring for your causes as well
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 06:25:20 AM »
I don't think it's the place or the shooting that's different, it's the time. If all went as planned the disarming of the American people should have been far ahead by now. There was, however, a glitch in the Matrix and Hillary didn't get her turn. Certain interests are now growing desperate to disarm the American people to get on with the program so they HAVE to make a bigger deal out of the standard issue crisis. Expect more to come.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 03:20:13 PM »
Thing is most of the bad guys in this deal are corrupt Democrats.  If the Stupid Party had any brains or guts they'd point that out.

First, I have heard that pointed out a few different places, just not by the politicians.  I don't watch the news so if it was mentioned there I don't now.

Second, the primary vote happens on March 6th in Texas.  All the politicians who are up for reelection are campaigning to try not to lose to party challengers.  If the Democrat furor continues, I would hope to see a more organized response. 

Third, in the first days after such an event, many people aren't interested in a reasoned response geared toward actual solutions.  Sometimes the best thing to do is just keep the mob from lynching our rights and deal with it after the emotions calm down.  Even if every elected Republican issued a press release pointing that out, I really doubt it would get reported at all. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
I think you also have a Sheriff's department that has been playing political games (ignoring crimes) for a while to make the schools look better and get more state funding.  I think they were pretty desperate to put blame on something other than themselves.
This is something that could be really important.  What exactly is law enforcement's responsibility other than "enforcing the law" which usually means AFTER the crime is committed.  We have been told over and over again that law enforcement can not protect you and that isn't their job.  But what is?  You can be charged for lying to an LEO, but they can lie all they want to....

I agree that Parkland is getting more attention because it is primarily more affluent victims plus it is a matter of timing for the democrats relative to the mid terms.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)