Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet acting up  (Read 1624 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Whirlpool Duet acting up
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
I came back to my washing machine this morning to find it hadn't done its job, it was showing a code F06, which google says is a drive motor tachometer error.  As I occasionally get codes after which it runs fine, I hit start again, only get the code again.  Also, the tub makes weird sounds when it was trying.  Taking out all the wet wash, and taking the top off, I can see that the belt is trying to turn the tub, but failing.  I can manually turn the interior tub now, but it doesn't feel like it's attached property - before when I did that I would feel some resistance but the tub would turn smoothly, now it almost rattles - it turns, but it doesn't feel like it is attached any more.

Currently tearing it apart.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Whirlpool Duet acting up
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
Rear tub bearing. It is a big job. Might have an item stuck between the inner and out tubs but those usually end up in the pump and it is full off water.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »
Here's a video on the rear tub bearing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXEiY1GWCs
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 05:32:13 AM »
Welp, update:  Tearing it apart found big shavings of tub plastic stuck in the rubber liner.  A couple handfuls of it.

Looking at the video, my conclusion is: Buy a new washer, because otherwise I'd need to replace the tub as well, and that just isn't financially worth it.  I can get a NEW washing machine for $700, complete with steam sanitization* and all that.

*Wouldn't that otherwise be known as "being in the dryer"?  Same general effect?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:38:11 AM »
Yep, sounds like you have a bent shaft or other catastrophic issue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:35:43 AM »
Do yourself a favor and take Samsung off your list. Their track record isn't exactly great lately...

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »
Our daughter and son in law bought new Samsung with all the latest tech features. My wife used it when we visited and hated it, now daughter hates it also. Has had so many service calls and issues, some not yet resolved.
Our 22 year old whirlpool went out and we bought new Speed Queen commercial. I understand they stopped production in January but they are still available and we are assured that parts will be around longer than we will. Made in America and built like a tank. Does not meet all the latest energy efficiency standards but cleans better because of it. I like that we finally have a unit big enough to wash my carhart coveralls and insulated bibs at home.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »
Are you dead-set on sticking with a front loader?

Bad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
Ex wife and I bought a high-end Amana top loader with the stainless steel drum the year after we moved into the house, around 1994, I think. I've used it pretty much weekly since then and it has been flawless. Not a single issue with it. If I do have a problem with it, I'll do everything I can to fix it because it's been such a great machine.

Friends of mine have the LG series front loader. They've had it, and the associated dryer, for about 10 years. The washer has required a new rubber drum to door boot and also a sensor of some kind. I was able to help him repair both without too much trouble. The biggest problem was getting the dryer unstacked from the washer given the limited space we had to work in.

All I can say is thank god for all of the repair videos on Utoob and the various appliance repair sites.

I used one a few years ago to fix a neighbor's dishwasher and another to repair the rollers on my dryer.

Firethorn

• friend
Update on Washing machine
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 03:52:37 AM »
Well, ripping the machine apart to get some of the fun stuff, like the water line actuators (5W, 120V),

decided to pull the tub apart to both make it easier to carry and see the damage.

Yeah, it was totaled even before I took it apart:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »
We had a front load washer around 15 years ago.  Top of the line Maytag at the time.  Over $1000.00.   Bad news.  Maytag actually gave us 2/3 of our money back when it puked a little after a year.  Plus they provided, free of charge, a new top loader Maytag with a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

The guy I use for appliance repairs told us to never, ever buy a front load washer.  Too much can go wrong with it and repairs are very expensive he says.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 10:19:33 AM »
Seems like everyone I've personally known who had a front-loader has had nothing but trouble with them. Mostly leaking seals, but a few with catastrophic failures like Fire's. Throw in the relatively higher average cost and I just can't bring myself to like them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB