Author Topic: More thoughts and prayer hate.  (Read 2948 times)

freakazoid

• friend
More thoughts and prayer hate.
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/james-gunn-defends-chris-pratt-against-backlash-over-prayer-tweet-for-kevin-smith/ar-BBJCAsk?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

Kevin Smith apparently had a major heart attack and was sent to the hospital, so Chris Pratt sent him a message talking about how he had been an inspiration for him and that he will be praying for his recovery. The usual people were triggered by that and attacked him for it, because apparently they expect him to actually go in and perform surgery or something himself.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: More thoughts and prayer hate.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »
The slowly growing persecution of Christians continues to slowly grow...

(As a note, I'm not whining. We have been told to expect this. And, as other Christians suffer threats to their life (and more than threats), social persecution is not comparable. However, this doesn't bode well for the country.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
I don't know if this sort of mindless, anti-religious sentiment always qualifies as bigotry. Perhaps sometimes it's just nastiness, and ridiculing people you don't understand.

I also think most of this backlash is really due to the way "thoughts and prayers" became a lazy way for not-so-religious people to speak soothing words in response to a tragedy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »
Do Muslim prayers get hated-on too?   ;/  Although perhaps Muslims don't say "thoughts and prayers" as a platitude.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
I don't know if this sort of mindless, anti-religious sentiment always qualifies as bigotry. Perhaps sometimes it's just nastiness, and ridiculing people you don't understand.

I also think most of this backlash is really due to the way "thoughts and prayers" became a lazy way for not-so-religious people to speak soothing words in response to a tragedy.

I could think that was all it was if it weren't generally accompanied by "Your sky-god isn't doing anything!" and "It's the doctors, not the spaghetti monster, stupid."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 01:26:27 PM »

I think there's a lot of this.  For myself, I sigh and roll my eyes at a lot of the "thoughts and prayers" I see, because it's coming from people that live a non-religious life.  When I see it from folks I know well enough to know are sincere in their beliefs, even if their beliefs are different than mine I take it in the spirit it is intended.

A lot of politicritters seem to make a show of Christianity without living any of the (even to a casual observer) tenants.  "Thoughts and Prayers" from them are more like empty platitudes.  I tend to treat such with the same contempt as when they posture about gun control.  They are playing a role to serve themselves from other's pain.  Were Harvey Weinstein to offer thoughts and prayers I'd treat it as a bad joke.

I don't know Mr. Pratt's beliefs at all, and he seems to have kept his personal life low on the horizon so I don't know if he deserved ridicule for invoking religion.  Perhaps the commenters are bigots.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »
Do Muslim prayers get hated-on too?   ;/  Although perhaps Muslims don't say "thoughts and prayers" as a platitude.

Strictly speaking "Allahu Akbar" is a prayer.  Folks don't seem to like that one much.   >:D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
Oh, and what's with sending prayers "to" people? Prayers are traditionally "for" people, and "to" a deity.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
The "thoughts and prayers as platitude" isn't just a Christian (or psuedo Christian) thing: pagans do it a LOT

And I eyeroll every single time
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »

I don't know Mr. Pratt's beliefs at all, and he seems to have kept his personal life low on the horizon so I don't know if he deserved ridicule for invoking religion.  Perhaps the commenters are bigots.

I think he's unapologetically Christian, though he doesn't seem to be "in your face" about it - he just doesn't hide it from Hollywood. He's also apparently big into hunting (so I assume guns) and doesn't hide that either. I saw he caught a bunch of flak for supporting one of the girl hunters who was getting ostracized on social media not that long ago.

Other than the fact that Mike Irwin doesn't like his acting, he seems to be a pretty good Joe.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Pratt#Personal_life

I could think that was all it was if it weren't generally accompanied by "Your sky-god isn't doing anything!" and "It's the doctors, not the spaghetti monster, stupid."

There is that.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »

Pratt has also been known to get political.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »

Muslim prayers usually are bang on effective.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:39 PM »
Obnoxious platitude, really meaning it, whatever, you still don't need to be nasty because someone said something nice (to you or to someone else)

People in this country seriously just lack good manners.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 12:31:46 AM »
I first started noticing the hate and snide remarks, and it just came pouring out, as soon as the guy shot up the church; the one where a neighbor with an AR15 stopped him. It was like these people were excited that it happened at a church.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 03:38:09 AM »
I usually use...

"good energy sent" for non mortality issues,

and

"all sympathy and empathy" for the more serious issues.

Not hard and fast rules, variations are possible, and sometimes I pop out with something new.

I have used "thoughts and prayers" myself, though, if I either just woke up or I'm very tired.  I don't see anything wrong with it, regardless of the religious stance of the party sending the message.

Let's face it, even "goodbye" is derived from "G-d be with ye."  Or so I'm told, and nobody gets ruffled over that.

Terry

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:56:45 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 09:48:17 AM »
Let's face it, even "goodbye" is derived from "G-d be with ye."  Or so I'm told, and nobody gets ruffled over that.

Terry

(Bad words warning)
https://youtu.be/ow6JSv_I1Oo?t=17s

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »
Oh, and what's with sending prayers "to" people? Prayers are traditionally "for" people, and "to" a deity.

Picky, picky.

And people accuse me of being a grammar Nazi ...

(That said ... you are correct.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
Picky, picky.

And people accuse me of being a grammar Nazi ...

(That said ... you are correct.)

I don't think it's about grammar. It just means people aren't thinking about what the words mean, because they're (most of time) just nice words to say. They're not intending to actually pray to any god for anything.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »

I don't think it's about grammar. It just means people aren't thinking about what the words mean, because they're (most of time) just nice words to say. They're not intending to actually pray to any god for anything.

Understood, Mate, but if people are just going to toss out words, they could at least toss out the correct words.

Personally, I don't like to use the expression "Prayers sent." To me it sounds hollow. Nonetheless, I have a list of people for whom I pray each and every night. Most of them don't know I do it, and probably never will. So be it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
Hawkmoon:
Understood, Mate, but if people are just going to toss out words, they could at least toss out the correct words.

I've been bitching about that for a while, what with the internet's tremendous capacity to promulgate errors.  At least with printed media, the chances are good that an actual paid editor has gone over it.   Otherwise we're headed toward a situation where every word can mean every other word.  Of course, that's an exaggeration for the sake of making a point.

But here I am replicating myself again.

Terry

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »
Hawkmoon:
I've been bitching about that for a while, what with the internet's tremendous capacity to promulgate errors.  At least with printed media, the chances are good that an actual paid editor has gone over it.   Otherwise we're headed toward a situation where every word can mean every other word.

Of course, that's an exaggeration for the sake of making a point.  But I replicate myself.

I think that's called "Humpty-Dumptyism" :)
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
I think that's called "Humpty-Dumptyism" :)

Yes.  It's organic, of curse.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
Obnoxious platitude, really meaning it, whatever, you still don't need to be nasty because someone said something nice (to you or to someone else)

People in this country seriously just lack good manners.

I think we're living in an increasingly crass age.  Maybe that's me turning into an old fart.

Re "thoughts and prayers", I only want to say it if I actually will, and I realize I probably won't.  So I don't.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:33:18 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:46 PM »
I think we're living in an increasingly crass age.  Maybe that's me turning into an old fart.

Re "thoughts and prayers", I only want to say it if I actually will, and I realize I probably won't.  So I don't.
That last is always what trips me up.  I don't like saying I am going to do something and not do it.  I would rather just say something else.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge