Author Topic: More from formerly Great Britain.  (Read 1469 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
More from formerly Great Britain.
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
Former cancer patient gives rides to current cancer patients. Gets busted by undercover cops.

No indication that the patients or hospital thought this was a problem, the opposite in fact. When will people stop being so nice to others? Don't they know it's against regulations?

Kids can't touch snow at this school.

"It only takes one student, one piece of grit, one stone in a snowball in an eye, with an injury and we change our view," he said.

It's true. There are literally hundreds-of-thousands of one-eyed or no-eyed Brits trying to make their way in this complicated society while maimed with many failing and going on the dole. The whole country is in danger of total financial collapse and all because of snow-touching. It's the under-reported story of the century.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: More from formerly Great Britain.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »
So if the lady charged nothing, she wouldn't have been fined? 

I can't get past the fact that they actually pulled a sting operation on this lady.  Sounds like a few departments there have some dead weight to get rid of.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
And no one else provides the service at that low of a charge.

It should be a defense that if no one else is providing the service then it isn't against the rules for you to do it without a license.

Of course the rules are idiotic in the first place.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »
From the comments on that one, comes this little bit of social justice: Oxford says women are too dumb to finish their tests on time.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:26 AM »
This can be a real problem for people that she was providing a solution for. This can be an issue in the US too. I recently had to have a short procedure and they insisted that I had to have a friend or family member with me and to drive me home. They were adamant that it could not be an Uber/Taxi and provided no information on who could help if I did not have family or friend available. I don't have a lot of close friends that live near enough that I would want to impose on them for this, luckily I did have family close enough. I was curious about what if I did not have the family member available, not everyone does and did some google searches about what options there are and a lot of people are in a position where they don't have anyone available to help them and apparently there are not normal public or even private services for this kind of transportation/assistance.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
MikeB offered,

I recently had to have a short procedure and they insisted that I had to have a friend or family member with me and to drive me home. They were adamant that it could not be an Uber/Taxi and provided no information on who could help if I did not have family or friend available. I don't have a lot of close friends that live near enough that I would want to impose on them for this...

I had exactly the same thing with some hand surgery they said was going to use local anesthesia.  I insisted I'd be able to drive myself, but it was do it their way or not at all, so I got a neighbor to drive me.*

I tell ya true, "local" or not, I was totally incapable of driving, indeedy-do, afterwards.

Terry

* I'm a friendly sort, but I long ago learned not to cuddle up to my neighbors.  Senior citizen apartment, and they seem to disappear one way or t'other anyhow.

Oh, and that "don't touch the snow" thing was so symptomatic of formerly Great Britain.  Too bad they lost too many men of stout heart after two European wars.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:30:51 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:09 AM »
This can be a real problem for people that she was providing a solution for. This can be an issue in the US too. I recently had to have a short procedure and they insisted that I had to have a friend or family member with me and to drive me home. They were adamant that it could not be an Uber/Taxi and provided no information on who could help if I did not have family or friend available.

Several years ago I was scheduled for out-patient surgery at a clinic associated with the big teaching hospital nearby. In the office, the doctor told me the procedure would be performed under local anesthesia. I was unmarried at the time, so I assumed I would drive myself. I showed up at the appointed place at the appointed time. The staffer who was filling out paperwork asked me who was going to pick me up, and I said I was driving myself. "Oh, you can't do that," she said.

Next up was somebody in scrubs, who I gathered was an anesthesiologist. Same question, same answer, same "Oh, you can't do that." Hmmm ... Then the doctor himself waltzed in and asked who was going to drive me home. I again said I had driven myself, and that I would drive myself home. He said I couldn't. I asked why not, if the procedure was to be under local anesthesia. "Well," he said, "It's local plus sedation." I told him he had not mentioned that when we discussed the procedure in his office, and that I didn't have anyone who could drive me. He was adamant that it had to be "local plus sedation" or we couldn't do the procedure. I couldn't drive, so I would have to call a taxi. I told him that made the decision very easy, and I got dressed and walked out.

At the time, my sister worked in a smaller hospital up-state, and did transcription on the side for several doctors' offices. She talked to one of the doctors she worked for who was in that specialty, and he said he always did that procedure just under local. So I made an appointment with him, drove myself to the hospital, and drove myself home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 04:02:44 PM »
Pay a stranger/bum to come in, say they are your driver, wait till ya get out and walk you to the door.
Profit!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 04:32:45 PM »
Pay a stranger/bum to come in, say they are your driver, wait till ya get out and walk you to the door.
Profit!

They asked my sister questions to try and make sure we weren’t playing a game like that and had her sign paperwork saying she was  responsible for me in my case. This is why this can be a real issue for people that may not have friends or family close or at all to drive/assist them. Not that I think we need the government involved, but if hospitals are going to have these requirements they really need to make an effort to provide at the least contact information for people that can be hired to help.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 05:47:05 PM »
Apparently it's not a hospital requirement, but a state law/liability issue. If you are subject to general anesthesia, you're not allowed to drive for 24 hours after the procedure because it can take that long for the effects to wear off. Even if you feel that you could drive -- your reflexes and reactions may be impaired, making you more dangerous on the road.

I understand the requirement, but I also think doctors and hospitals need to be more up front in explaining the reason(s). They could also be more helpful in arranging or suggesting transportation options. Waiting until you arrive on the day of the procedure and then telling you to "take a cab or we don't do the operation" is not helpful. (And I think in my case that doctor was rather surprised when his ultimatum didn't result in the instant agreement he was obviously expecting.)

I'm old enough that I can call the town's senior center and arrange for a ride on their bus, but it's pricey and has some quirky requirements. Getting to a procedure would be okay, but I'd have concerns about getting home afterwards, since you can't predict to within ten minutes when you'll be out of the operation and more or less mobile. Since my wife died four years ago, I've set up a mutual aid compact with one of my high school classmates to deal with such situations.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
The VA sure isn't that way, at least here in Shreveport, it was more like "Here, sign this and have a seat in the waiting area."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »
I had to go through that driver thing when I had my last (and first) colonoscopy. My ride flaked, and they were adamant about "no driver, no procedure" except I had an out in that I could drive myself home if I refused the drugs, which I did, and then I drove myself home.

I have my second colonoscopy coming up shortly, but now they won't let you opt out of the goodnight kiss anymore. Nappy time is mandatory.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »
PS: I drive us home anyway. Did that even after the EGD/Throat scope/biopsy/Botox shot.
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »
The VA sure isn't that way, at least here in Shreveport, it was more like "Here, sign this and have a seat in the waiting area."

The VA hospital where I had my hand operated on was sure that way. Maybe there is a law in this state. The operation was to relieve Dupuytren's Contracture (Viking's disease), and they really carve up the hand so it was done under general anesthesia. They insisted that someone had to drive me home, no matter how long I was willing to sit in the recovery room to detox.