Author Topic: Of all the non-sleek planes out there which do you find the most attractive?  (Read 25814 times)

dogmush

• friend
Pretty sure that's the new Light Ground Attack plane.  A-something or other Super Tucano.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Pretty sure that's the new Light Ground Attack plane.  A-something or other Super Tucano.

One of the two still in contention to replace the A10, so they say. The A-29 Super Tucano, the other is the Beechcraft AT-6 Wolverine.

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
One of the two still in contention to replace the A10, so they say. The A-29 Super Tucano, the other is the Beechcraft AT-6 Wolverine.

bob

Replace the Hog with something that has 1/3rd the ordinance load, 1/5th the combat capacity, and 1/10th the crew protection/survivability? Yeah, must be a military "upgrade" program.

Surely they are trying to find something for a support role slotted between the A-10 and ground attack systems, something cheaper to operate in large numbers for roles where the Hog would be spendy overkill. Supplanting the 'Bolt II with either of those aircraft would be, in a word, madness. They simply don't have the capability.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:51:58 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
and 1/10th the crew protection/survivability? Yeah, must be a military "upgrade" program.

That's the one that would worry me as I sit in my armchair. My understanding is that an A-10 can be pretty shot to *expletive deleted*it and keep flying as the pilot sits in that armored cockpit. Just that "armored bathtub" alone would be a lot of weight on the lighter Tucano.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
dogmush and BobR got it.  Embraer Super Tucano.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
The NAA B-25 Mitchell has always looked cool.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
*expletive deleted*it,  if we're shifting gears to cool planes..

Flying Tigers Curtis P40

Classic.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
P-38 Lightning gets me all hot and a bothered!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
and don't even get me started on the SR-71!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...

Always liked how aggressive these looked, and slightly bulbous with the odd canopy.

OK, it's been 4 days since the last post and nobody has mentioned that thing under/by the spinner.  Is that a five-bladed prop, and they have to keep that particular blade warm with a blanket or something?

Is it a tree trunk growing out of the pavement?

Is it someone in a Ghilly suit standing near it?

Is it Chewbacca's kid brother?

I'm sure when someone identifies it, I'll give myself a dope slap, so forgive this groundlubber, but WTF is that?

Terry, iggerant groundlubber, 230RN

BobR

• friend
5 bladed prop, that is a people that is masked by the blade at the 6 oclock position. From the size of the heels I might even say it is a female person or somebody wearing some really high heeled cowboy boots. Might even be two people standing side by side and they are masked by the prop blade.

bob

230RN

• friend
5 bladed prop, that is a people that is masked by the blade at the 6 oclock position. From the size of the heels I might even say it is a female person or somebody wearing some really high heeled cowboy boots. Might even be two people standing side by side and they are masked by the prop blade.

bob

:facepalm:

OK, without blowing up the image and looking closely it's hard to distinguish a prop blade, so thank you.  Be sure of your prop blade and what lies beyond.

Wow, with five blades and what looks like a sewer pipe for an exhaust stack, that must be some hell of an engine in there.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:53:59 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend

Wow, with five blades and what looks like a sewer pipe for an exhaust stack, that must be some hell of an engine in there.

Technically, it's a turbine rather than an "engine."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
:facepalm:

OK, without blowing up the image and looking closely it's hard to distinguish a prop blade, so thank you.  Be sure of your prop blade and what lies beyond.

Plane is a Super Tucano, here's the engine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_Canada_PT6
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BobR

• friend
That PT6 has been quite the workhorse of the flying turbines for quite a few decades.

bob

230RN

• friend

Well, my original training was that an "engine" was anything run directly by heat.  Other things were "motors*," so that's a new one on me.  Is there a modern terminology for a rocket what-I-would-call-"engine?"

Not that I really care, except for finding out how the etymology worked out.

I can see this one devolving into a clip v. mag and rifle v. gun thing, but what's the latest poop on "engine?"  Is there a formal differentiation set up by some committee of hardasses declaring that a turbine engine was not an engine?  :rofl:

Terry, 230RN

* Although, admittedly, sometimes the distinction is blurred.  Is this an engine or a motor?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:06:56 AM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend

I was always taught that a gas turbine was a sub-category of Internal Combustion Engines.

For what it's worth, Wikipedia, that repository of unimpeachable knowledge, agrees with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine

The term internal combustion engine usually refers to an engine in which combustion is intermittent, such as the more familiar four-stroke and two-stroke piston engines, along with variants, such as the six-stroke piston engine and the Wankel rotary engine. A second class of internal combustion engines use continuous combustion: gas turbines, jet engines and most rocket engines, each of which are internal combustion engines on the same principle as previously described.[1][2] Firearms are also a form of internal combustion engine.[2]

*That last sentence is kinda interesting.  The footnote goes to Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine by Willard W. Pulkrabek.  could be interesting reading.

230RN

• friend
*That last sentence is kinda interesting.  The footnote goes to Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine by Willard W. Pulkrabek.  Could be interesting reading.

I note the "usually."

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:43:09 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/42027/semantic-difference-between-engine-and-motor

That's pretty much always been my working definition.

All engines are motors but not all motors are engines... =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
I always heard rockets had "motors" for what that is worth.
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
I was always taught that a gas turbine was a sub-category of Internal Combustion Engines.

For what it's worth, Wikipedia, that repository of unimpeachable knowledge, agrees with me.

Far be it from me to argue with Wikipedia. Okay, gas turbines are infernal combobulation engines.

230RN

• friend
Geez, I thunk a gas turbine was not necessarily an internal combustion engine.  As in steam turbine or wind turbine, all powered by moving gas.  As opposed to water turbine, suchlike in hydroelectric power generation.  And does it matter whether the machine moves the working fluid or the working fluid moves the machine?

I'll have to shut up and sit back and see how all this settles out.

Surely, with all those standardization committees meeting all over the world all the time, you'd'a thunk the nomenclature would be sorted out by now.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:48:49 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"Geez, I thunk a gas turbine was not necessarily an internal combustion engine."

As I understand it, yes, you're correct. Not all gas/diesel turbines are internal combustion engines, although as I understand it external combustion gas/diesel turbines are pretty rare.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
AK-747.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.