Author Topic: H.R. 5103  (Read 1739 times)

freakazoid

• friend
H.R. 5103
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:56:14 AM »
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5103/text

20% Tax on firearms.

50% tax on ammo.

Tax on transfer of NFA items from $200 to $1,000 and AOWs from $5 to $100.

Importers and manufacturers fee from $1,000 to $2,000.

Dealer fee from $500 to “50 percent of the dollar amount applicable under paragraph (1) for the taxable year”. I'm not actually sure how this one changes things.

Also have absolutely no idea what they are trying to do with this part. They are adding this to the definition of a firearm, but what is this changing? These are already firearms “"(9) a semiautomatic pistol chambered for cartridges commonly considered rifle rounds, configured with receivers commonly associated with rifles and capable of accepting detachable magazines.”."

Also makes it to where all of these taxes will go up each year with inflation.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: H.R. 5103
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:27:36 AM »
Also have absolutely no idea what they are trying to do with this part. They are adding this to the definition of a firearm, but what is this changing? These are already firearms “"(9) a semiautomatic pistol chambered for cartridges commonly considered rifle rounds, configured with receivers commonly associated with rifles and capable of accepting detachable magazines.”."

They're targeting AR pistols with that.

Basically, making AR pistols a NFA firearm.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »
Introduced and co-sponsored exclusively by lousy, stinking Democrats of course . . .  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
They're targeting AR pistols with that.

Basically, making AR pistols a NFA firearm.
Except it doesn't affect pistol caliber AR pistols.  Not to mention some powerful pistol rounds will start appearing in AR pistols.  The work arounds are endless.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
"Also have absolutely no idea what they are trying to do with this part."

Simple:  Negotiation dynamics.

Push for outrageous laws favoring your viewpoint.

Eventually a compromise is reached.

Your opposition "gets used to" the new law.

Next year push again.

Another compromise is reached, and another law even closer to your position is enacted.

Next year push again.

Another compromise is reached, still closer to your goal.

Rinse and repeat.

So the outrageous 50% tax on ammo is compromised to 20%.

Try again next year, and it will be compromised to 30%.

Rinse and repeat.

Terry

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:49:14 AM by 230RN »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »
The struggle will never cease,  our enemies will always be back for more.  Stay frosty.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:02 AM »
"Also have absolutely no idea what they are trying to do with this part."

Simple:  Negotiation dynamics.

Push for outrageous laws favoring your viewpoint.

Eventually a compromise is reached.

Your opposition "gets used to" the new law.

Next year push again.

Another compromise is reached, and another law even closer to your position is enacted.

Next year push again.

Another compromise is reached, still closer to your goal.

Rinse and repeat.

So the outrageous 50% tax on ammo is compromised to 20%.

Try again next year, and it will be compromised to 30%.

Rinse and repeat.

Terry

How about this instead?

"No.  Now what?"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »
Time to stock up on reloading components.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been more of a push on ammunition regulation.  Devil's advocate for a moment, it would be easier to limit legal access to ammunition in bulk than it is to limit access to firearms and magazines.  No grandfather clauses to worry about.  Require sales be through licensed dealers, require background checks, then limit the amount which can be purchased to "reasonable" amounts.  I can imagine the arguments made during a court action in favor of the restrictions...  "Requiring ammo sales to go through NICS checks will reduce the ability of criminals to simply go to WalMart and buy what they need to commit crimes.  Limiting the amount which can be purchased will reduce the ability to commit mass murder like Sandy Hook, etc."  When a 2A argument is raised, the counter-argument is "how much ammunition do you need to protect your home from a burglar?  You don't need a thousand rounds.  You only need the ammunition in the gun, and maybe a reload.  50 rounds, tops.  A hunter needs no more than 20 rounds to check the accuracy of the gun and put meat on the table.  Even competition shooters only need a hundred rounds or so to go through a competition."  I can also see them looking at the number of rounds used by LEOs per year (our court security staff issues 350 rounds of ammunition for training and qualifying per year) as a guideline for what is "needed."  And, I can see some judges going along with such a proposal as "reasonable."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
I heard a rumor yesterday that AR parts are getting hard to find. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »

Heck ...... time to STOCK UP on EVERYTHING!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »

Stop it. They are not.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »

Let me know when I can sell my NIB pmags for $100
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Specifically, what I heard someone say was that they were ordering some bolt carrier groups found they were out of stock and had trouble finding some.  Certainly not a shortage or anything, but maybe more people are buying parts than were a couple months ago.  May not mean anything.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
On the OP, I would be curious if it would apply to NFA items already purchased with paperwork submitted, but not yet approved.  A dealer near me has a Maxim 9 I would really like to buy, but I am reluctant to have $1400 of my money tied up for several months. 

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
Specifically, what I heard someone say was that they were ordering some bolt carrier groups found they were out of stock and had trouble finding some.  Certainly not a shortage or anything, but maybe more people are buying parts than were a couple months ago.  May not mean anything.

Still $79

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-premium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.htmlhttp://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-premium-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-8779.html
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »

"SORRY, PAGE NOT FOUND."  ....That's what I got... :facepalm:

He's got a typo in his BB code.  You can tell by the repeated URL.

This is the page he tried to link.  Of course they are out of stock now.  Daily deal and all that. :facepalm:

AIM has some varieties in stock but they do seem a little thinner on the ground than last month.  Looks like the cheap ones went first. The 80% builder FB group I'm on is reporting low priced deals are drying up on 80% receivers, jigs, LPKs, and BCG's.  You can still get them, but not as cheap as last fall.

Perhaps another run is beginning, or perhaps we're finally working our way through the glut of extra parts from 2016's election fun.