Author Topic: Tillerson Out  (Read 2470 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tillerson Out
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
Wow. While this has been a back and forth almost since the beginning of the administration, it's somewhat of a surprise to me coming at this time, with NK talks right around the corner. Especially given Pompeo as the replacement. Nothing against Pompeo, other than does he have any expertise riding this particular rodeo? Seems like a really bad time for on the job training.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/13/trump-says-rex-tillerson-out-as-secretary-state-replaced-by-mike-pompeo.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Tillerson Out
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
The State Department said Tillerson only learned of his termination when he read Trump’s tweet on Tuesday morning. Two senior department officials said Tillerson received a call from John Kelly, Trump’s chief of staff, on Friday, but was only told that there might be a presidential tweet that would concern him.

I was never a big fan of Tillerson so I have no problem seeing him go but I am disappointed there was no press conference where Trump screamed you're fired at him.  :lol:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
I'm a contractor for State, and work closely with a lot of DOS people.

Most of the .gov staff I've talked to so far are basically "so what" about both ends of this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
So Trump appoints the first female to head up the CIA?

I wonder if Rachel Maddow is going to lecture us on how no former president ever thought, in the entire time the CIA has existed, that it would be a good idea to have a woman in charge of the Agency.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »

I wonder if Rachel Maddow is going to lecture us on how no former president ever thought, in the entire time the CIA has existed, that it would be a good idea to have a woman in charge of the Agency.

They've already got their "not a real woman" rationalization going. They're going with "directly responsible for torture".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/973552345668898816/photo/1

(not a fan of Felton, but this made me chuckle)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:56 PM »
I think it was a setup job, just to show Kim that he was ruthless and could get rid of people, but didn't have to blast them apart with cannon fire.   >:D :rofl:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:43:06 PM »
I think it was a setup job, just to show Kim that he was ruthless and could get rid of people, but didn't have to blast them apart with cannon fire.   >:D :rofl:

Hey, nobody is perfect.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »

I think this appointment is a serious mistake.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »
I think this appointment is a serious mistake.
I don't know much about her.  What about her do you not like?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »
I like how the House Minority leader accused the president of worshipping a foreign dictator, and let everyone know that our next secretary of state will have no credibility. Way to stop your politicking at the water's edge.

https://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/31318/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
I like how the House Minority leader accused the president of worshipping a foreign dictator, and let everyone know that our next secretary of state will have no credibility. Way to stop your politicking at the water's edge.

https://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/31318/

I like how Pelosi's statement when Tillerson was nominated was about Tillerson being a Russian puppet, but now that he's out, that he was a line in the sand against the Russians. I especially like when you see her statements side by side.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/13/classic-nancy-pelosis-about-face-on-rex-tillerson-just-got-a-little-more-desperate-pics/

Politicians (across the spectrum) still can't comprehend that the Internet is forever.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
I don't know much about her.  What about her do you not like?

The fact that she oversaw the torture chambers.

The U.S. is very hypocritical regarding torture. When U.S. or British sailors were captured by the Iranians, it was reported that the sailors were "tortured" basically because of harsh words, yet we want to claim that electric shocks, waterboarding, and slamming of heads against walls doesn't constitute torture, it's just "enhanced interrogation."

Bullshit. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If it wasn't torture, why did we have to secretly transport the victims to black-ops facilities in third-world countries to carry out the "enhanced interrogations"? Would we call those techniques "enhanced interrogation" if they were used on our people? I don't think so -- we'd call it torture.

That's what I don't like about her -- today. We may learn more to provide me more/better reasons not to like her.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »

The U.S. is very hypocritical regarding torture. When U.S. or British sailors were captured by the Iranians, it was reported that the sailors were "tortured" basically because of harsh words, yet we want to claim that electric shocks, waterboarding, and slamming of heads against walls doesn't constitute torture, it's just "enhanced interrogation."

Bullshit. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If it wasn't torture, why did we have to secretly transport the victims to black-ops facilities in third-world countries to carry out the "enhanced interrogations"? Would we call those techniques "enhanced interrogation" if they were used on our people? I don't think so -- we'd call it torture.

That's what I don't like about her -- today. We may learn more to provide me more/better reasons not to like her.

"Might makes right."   >:D   Or so it would seem.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »
Politicians (across the spectrum) still can't comprehend that the Internet is forever.

They just know that human memories are short, and Democrats can get away with a whole lot.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »

I really doubt she was doing anything without plenty of people above her know exactly what was being done.

Depends on who you talk to on the hypocrisy I guess.  Just because I like my country doesn't mean I think we have never done anything bad or may do so in the future.  I don't have any issue with calling it torture.  I think Congress has authorized it within limits even if they like to play word games. 

Assuming they give this woman a public confirmation hearing, I am sure she will get a chance to talk about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »
It's not waterboarding, if you use diesel fuel....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
It's not waterboarding, if you use diesel fuel....

That's too kind.   Use hydroflouric acid. >:D [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
https://www.propublica.org/article/cia-cables-detail-its-new-deputy-directors-role-in-torture?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1521153688
Correction: Trump’s Pick to Head CIA Did Not Oversee Waterboarding of Abu Zubaydah

The story is about a correction, but it gives more information about the CIA nominee's background.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 11:32:51 AM »
Pompeo is in front of the senate today, found this a little bit surprising:
now that Pompeo faces a tough confirmation process to become secretary of state himself, he has reached out to Clinton and Kerry, as well as every other living occupant of the office, to ask for guidance. Clinton, for one, has been willing to help.
During their talk, Clinton advised Pompeo to stem the flight of career diplomats who quit under Tillerson, according to a person familiar with the call.
I wouldn't have expected either Clinton or Pompeo to want to speak with the other.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.