Author Topic: How is This a Good Shoot?  (Read 1610 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
How is This a Good Shoot?
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
Maybe there is something missing from the video. It sure looks like the shooter was shooting more out of anger because of the guy getting away than out of being in any danger. I was quite surprised to see she was acquitted. Again, maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/13/oklahoma-da-s-office-releases-video-bail-officer-fatally-shooting-client.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: How is This a Good Shoot?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »
IMHO, you don't see exactly what the recipient of the bullet was doing when the woman fired the gun.  I believe it is questionable whether or not the shooting was truly justified,  and, keeping in mind I don't know how the court testimony went,  I think the doctrine of "reasonable doubt" plays a big role here. 
I'm tempted  to say I don't know what the danger was to the woman .... but then,  I  didn't hear what the jury heard.
I can't really get too overly bothered by this   .....  there is too much room for doubt.
Just my two cents.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
That video sure doesn't look good,  You can see the drawer with the gun in it the whole time, and the dude doesn't seem to go towards it.  Obviously the jury heard something that gave them reasonable doubt, but damn.

Also the kids response doesn't read to me like someone that was scared for their life.  But people react in different ways.  

As an aside: Who the *expletive deleted*ck sits down in someone's office and takes their shoe and sock off?  that's freaking weird, and smelly.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »
Is a bail officer a "bounty hunter?"

I'm not sure about this, but aren't "bail officers" highly empowered under the law, more than even regular commissioned police officers?

As I understood it, they don't even need search warrants and the like to apprehend a person.  I think that's the way it works.

Perhaps "what's missing" is the judge's instructions to the jury about those laws?

Or perhaps it was a fleeing felon case?

I don't know for sure, but like you, I await further details.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:25:57 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »
Does not appear to be a good shoot. No threat -- the guy was trying to escape.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
Or perhaps it was a fleeing felon case?
Shooting a fleeing felon (absent their presenting a direct threat) hasn't been Kosher in the US for more than thirty years.  That was decided in Tennessee v. Garner.

Hard to know exactly what he was doing, but the article implied that he was trying to get out a window and was shot in the back.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
Local story that didn't get a lot of publicity around here.
I wasn't in the courtroom and didn't hear the testimony presented so can't say one way or another.
I will say I don't care for  our current system of bounty hunter/bail bondsman set up though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »
Shooting a fleeing felon (absent their presenting a direct threat) hasn't been Kosher in the US for more than thirty years.  That was decided in Tennessee v. Garner.

Hard to know exactly what he was doing, but the article implied that he was trying to get out a window and was shot in the back.

Had to look that up. The ruling reasoning doesn't seem to make sense. It says that the killing of a fleeing suspect to prevent escape is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment. So would chasing them down and capturing them also be an "unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment"? So are cops just supposed to let any suspect that flees to get away? ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:45 PM »
Had to look that up. The ruling reasoning doesn't seem to make sense. It says that the killing of a fleeing suspect to prevent escape is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment. So would chasing them down and capturing them also be an "unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment"? So are cops just supposed to let any suspect that flees to get away? ???
I'm not a legal expert, but I don't think Garner prohibits non-lethal force.  Being killed by the cops was considered by the court to be a permanent seizure of a person's life without due process.  Non-lethal methods of effecting capture are neither permanent nor without due process (in that such methods lead directly to due process).

Garner was a positive ruling, especially in light of the the ever expanding meaning of "felony".

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 10:10:53 PM »
So would chasing them down and capturing them also be an "unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment"? So are cops just supposed to let any suspect that flees to get away? ???

If they don't pose an immediate threat to the police or to the populace, I believe the answer is yes. Chase them, if doing so doesn't endanger the public, but shooting them in the back is frowned upon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »
Had to look that (Tennessee v. Garner) up. The ruling reasoning doesn't seem to make sense. It says that the killing of a fleeing suspect to prevent escape is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment. So would chasing them down and capturing them also be an "unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment"? So are cops just supposed to let any suspect that flees to get away? ???

I was uncomfortable as well since it seemed to lead to a pythonesque situation where if you catch a guy plunging it in and out of a screaming girl, nobody can do anything about it until the guy is found guilty of rape in a court of law.

I guess if I ever come across a guy wrestling a cop for his gun, I'll let the matter settle itself out and one or the other is dead.   No sense taking a chance on the turn of a legal phrase or a twisting of one word's meaning by a slick attorney before I intervene on the cop's behalf.  I mean, after all, I'm the proverbial "reasonable man."

But I'm not a lawyer, and I wouldn't want to deprive the guy of his due process by running up and putting one in his left ear.

Let the "yeah, buts" with appropriate case law citations begin.  

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:10:15 PM by 230RN »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 02:46:28 PM »
Maybe there is something missing from the video. It sure looks like the shooter was shooting more out of anger because of the guy getting away than out of being in any danger. I was quite surprised to see she was acquitted. Again, maybe I'm missing something.

I'm missing at least two things:
 1) She claimed PD was already on the way, so why tip her hand at all?  Just give him some long form to fill out to stall him until they get there.  Tell him it'll get part of his payment back or whatever is needed to get him to want to hang around.
 2) Why the heck weren't there burglar bars on the window?  Bondsmen are known to do a lot of cash transactions anyway, most of them tend to secure their offices regardless of location, and from the shots of the outside, that's the sort of place that should have bars anyway.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
KD5NRH:
" 1) She claimed PD was already on the way, so why tip her hand at all?  Just give him some long form to fill out to stall him until they get there.  Tell him it'll get part of his payment back or whatever is needed to get him to want to hang around."

Because then she wouldn't be making the recovery/capture, the police would?  I don't know how that works with "bail agents."

Maybe (ha-ha) there was a "Wanted Dead or Alive" poster out on him somewhere.  (I don't know how that used to work, either.)

But the Court found it was a good shoot, so...

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
I guess if I ever come across a guy wrestling a cop for his gun, I'll let the matter settle itself out and one or the other is dead.   No sense taking a chance on the turn of a legal phrase or a twisting of one word's meaning by a slick attorney before I intervene on the cop's behalf.  I mean, after all, I'm the proverbial "reasonable man."

You can't be serious.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 06:14:14 PM »
... pythonesque...

i.e., Don't take it too literally.