Author Topic: Austin package explosions leave teen dead, women hurt...  (Read 1274 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Austin package explosions leave teen dead, women hurt...
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:54:59 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/12/austin-package-explosion-leaves-teen-dead-woman-hurt-after-second-blast-in-2-weeks.html

A teenager was killed and at least two women were seriously hurt after a pair of explosions rocked homes in Austin on Monday β€” just two weeks after a separate blast which authorities said is believed to be linked to both of Monday's incidents.

Austin Police said they received a call about the first explosion in a neighborhood on the northeast side of the city around 6:45 a.m., after the 17-year-old resident found a package on the front step, brought it inside, and opened it in the kitchen where it exploded.

"It is very similar to the incident that occurred in Austin on March 2," Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told reporters.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Austin package explosions leave teen dead, women hurt...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
Rule #1... don't approach strange packages, much less bring them into your home.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
Rule #1... don't approach strange packages, much less bring them into your home.

Brad

Could have been an Amazon box or a UPS box.  Many people would take it inside without evening thinking about it. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:56:43 PM »
On an only partially related note, I recall a story from some years back.  A person picked up a package off their porch and took it in their house.  I can't remember if they even opened it.  Soon cops shows up at their door to arrest him and seize the package.  It was mailed from Mexico with a hand written label and the post office realized it was drugs.  The cops decided to deliver it and arrest the owner.  Seems taking it inside means you took possession.  I can't remember what the resolution was.  There was speculation that it was intended to be intercepted by someone else.

I guess it pays to double check.  Most packages shipped to you have printed labels along with all the USPS / UPS / Fedex labels.  Now if someone had that and the correct printed address, I don't know how you spot that. 

I guess if an unknown box gets dropped off at your door, you should shoot some holes through it just to be sure (from a distance). 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:37:09 AM »
My personal guess is that it's tangentially related to SXSW. Some of the hard left around Austin have been angry about what they see as the festival's impact on gentrification.

Some nut is trying to say "Austin isn't safe, go home."
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 06:16:01 AM »
See! This is why we need assault weapon bans in the US!

If we had assault weapons bans, this *expletive deleted*it wouldn't happen!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
On an only partially related note, I recall a story from some years back.  A person picked up a package off their porch and took it in their house.  I can't remember if they even opened it.  Soon cops shows up at their door to arrest him and seize the package.  It was mailed from Mexico with a hand written label and the post office realized it was drugs.  The cops decided to deliver it and arrest the owner.  Seems taking it inside means you took possession.  I can't remember what the resolution was.  There was speculation that it was intended to be intercepted by someone else.

I guess it pays to double check.  Most packages shipped to you have printed labels along with all the USPS / UPS / Fedex labels.  Now if someone had that and the correct printed address, I don't know how you spot that. 

I guess if an unknown box gets dropped off at your door, you should shoot some holes through it just to be sure (from a distance). 
I think I remember that too . . . the recipient was the mayor of a small town, and after the cops kicked in his door, they shot his dog and arrested him for drug possession.

The package was still on his table, UNOPENED. Charges were ultimately dropped, and the mayor was making noises about charging the cops with trafficking in narcotics - after all, HE didn't request the package, making this a pretty blatant case of entrapment. IIRC, some undisclosed settlement was reached.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
My personal guess is that it's tangentially related to SXSW. Some of the hard left around Austin have been angry about what they see as the festival's impact on gentrification.

Maybe:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28158/groups-multiple-cities-using-intimidation-and-frank-camp
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »

What is SXSW?    Inquiring minds want to know. ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »
What is SXSW?    Inquiring minds want to know. ???

Music, arts, hipster/scenester festival:
https://www.sxsw.com/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
There is no known motive at this time, but Manley said the blasts took place at homes of African-American and Hispanic residents so authorities "cannot rule out that hate crime is at the core of this."

Hate crime ? Have they ruled out drugs or gangs activity already? 

Montopolis is a low income, mainly Latino neighborhood located very close to the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. One of the poorest neighborhoods in the city in terms of income, it has suffered a reputation for being rundown and crime-infested.

http://www.austintexasinsider.com/austinneighborhood-montopolis.html