Author Topic: United is learning, at least a little (still tragic, though)  (Read 4500 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: United is learning, at least a little (still tragic, though)
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 11:14:34 PM »
On the dog that was flown to Japan, since it left the country and apparently landed in another country, wouldn't it have to go through whatever quarantine procedures apply upon reentering the US?  I guess United plowed right through that and everyone made exceptions.

If it never left the Japanese airport I don't think it ever technically entered Japan. ??? I don't think there's much of a quarantine procedures for coming from Japan to the US either way.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 06:48:30 AM »
If it never left the Japanese airport I don't think it ever technically entered Japan. ??? I don't think there's much of a quarantine procedures for coming from Japan to the US either way.

Check the dog’s passport.  No immigration stamp = no entry.   =D

In related news, I often go to foreign countries but never actually ‘enter’ the country because I don’t get off the plane.  I just turn around and fly back, yet I still have to clear US Immigration/Customs.  I find it funny.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »

In related news, I often go to foreign countries but never actually ‘enter’ the country because I don’t get off the plane.  I just turn around and fly back, yet I still have to clear US Immigration/Customs.  I find it funny.

Interesting observation. I suppose the next step would be if you take off from a U.S. airport, fly a route that transits Canadian air space and land at a U.S. airport, you would have technically "left" the United States so you (and all the passengers!) would have to clear customs and immigration when you land.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »
Check the dog’s passport.  No immigration stamp = no entry.   =D

When I flew back to the states on a C-130, it made a stop in Reykjavik, Iceland. (cargo off-load/on-load, fuel, and crew change) We weren't allowed to get off the plane since we did not have passports/visas to be there.  (Germany to RAF Upper Heyford to Iceland to Loring AFB in Maine to Glenview Naval Air Station near Chicago- 28 hours)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »
Interesting observation. I suppose the next step would be if you take off from a U.S. airport, fly a route that transits Canadian air space and land at a U.S. airport, you would have technically "left" the United States so you (and all the passengers!) would have to clear customs and immigration when you land.

No.  We often fly through Canadian airspace from Boston to the west coast.  We never clear immigration for that.  Must be an island rule.

Another funny thing is flying out of the USVI.  It is a US territory, but we clear Immigration when leaving because USVI is outside the exclusion zone, or something like that.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »

When I flew back to the states on a C-130, it made a stop in Reykjavik, Iceland. (cargo off-load/on-load, fuel, and crew change) We weren't allowed to get off the plane since we did not have passports/visas to be there.  (Germany to RAF Upper Heyford to Iceland to Loring AFB in Maine to Glenview Naval Air Station near Chicago- 28 hours)

And yet, on trips to and from Russia, I've made stops and even changed planes in Stockholm and Copenhagen, and didn't have to clear customs (since I didn't have my luggage) or immigration (I never left the secure side of the airport). When I shipped out to Vietnam, the MAC flight made a refueling stop in Japan. We were allowed off the aircraft, but only to sit around on the tarmac until the bird was ready to take wing again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »
And yet, on trips to and from Russia, I've made stops and even changed planes in Stockholm and Copenhagen, and didn't have to clear customs (since I didn't have my luggage) or immigration (I never left the secure side of the airport). When I shipped out to Vietnam, the MAC flight made a refueling stop in Japan. We were allowed off the aircraft, but only to sit around on the tarmac until the bird was ready to take wing again.

Every country has their own rules.  When I fly to Grand Cayman, I fly in, but deadhead out.  Even though I never enter the country, Cayman makes us two deadheading pilots walk through immigration/customs and then regular security before we can get back on the plane.  Cayman never checks our passports.  Only my company scans my passport as I get my seat assignment. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
Every country has their own rules.  When I fly to Grand Cayman, I fly in, but deadhead out.  Even though I never enter the country, Cayman makes us two deadheading pilots walk through immigration/customs and then regular security before we can get back on the plane.  Cayman never checks our passports.  Only my company scans my passport as I get my seat assignment. 

Deadhead?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Deadhead?

Flying as a non-piloty type person back in steerage with the peasants, not in the fun room with all the levers and buttons.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:26:08 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 01:06:22 PM »
Flying as a non-piloty type person back in steerage with the peasants, not in the fun room with all the levers and buttons.

Brad

So it WASN'T a reference to democrats? >:D [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 01:26:14 PM »

Brad

Perfect description.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »
Overpaid ballast.

Never overpaid.  I have to sit next to people like you lot.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »

Your own fault for flying stuff too little to have a proper crew rest compartment they can lock you into and not have to look at you.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 06:46:29 AM »
Your own fault for flying stuff too little to have a proper crew rest compartment they can lock you into and not have to look at you.

The cockpit is my crew rest compartment.  What do you think I do up there?  Actual work?  Ha!