Author Topic: More clock-boy news?  (Read 788 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
More clock-boy news?
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
Another lawsuit thrown out.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/irving/2018/03/14/clockboy-ahmed-mohamed-lawsuit-irving-isd-city-dismissed

I guess they had to keep trying to get money out their momentary notoriety.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: More clock-boy news?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
Interesting take on the timeline:

Sept. 14, 2015: Ahmed Mohamed, 14, is arrested and suspended from MacArthur High School in Irving after bringing an alarm clock to school that was mistaken for a bomb.

What he brought into the school wasn't exactly "an alarm clock." It was the inner circuitry from a cheap, digital alarm clock, removed from the clock and installed crudely into some kind of case (the details escape me at this late date), causing a teacher who saw it to think that it might be a bomb. There were plenty of photos of the device in the media at the time. While I might or might not have thought it was a bomb, I would NOT have thought it was an alarm clock.

And, to paraphrase our former chief executive, "[He] didn't build that." He just ripped it out of one enclosure and stuck it into a different enclosure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:14:58 AM »
Interesting take on the timeline:

What he brought into the school wasn't exactly "an alarm clock." It was the inner circuitry from a cheap, digital alarm clock, removed from the clock and installed crudely into some kind of case (the details escape me at this late date), causing a teacher who saw it to think that it might be a bomb. There were plenty of photos of the device in the media at the time. While I might or might not have thought it was a bomb, I would NOT have thought it was an alarm clock.

And, to paraphrase our former chief executive, "[He] didn't build that." He just ripped it out of one enclosure and stuck it into a different enclosure.

The great scientific minds were always mistrusted and misunderstood.  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:28:11 AM »
Found a photo of the "clock." Looking at it, it's not difficult to see how a casual viewer might not immediately recognize it as an alarm clock.

[Photo courtesy of Wired
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design