Author Topic: Richard Dawkins makes A Modest Proposal  (Read 1544 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Richard Dawkins makes A Modest Proposal
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
TL;DR: if it becomes possible to grow human flesh, why not eat it?

http://www.lifenews.com/2018/03/06/richard-dawkins-wants-to-eat-human-meat-to-overcome-our-taboo-against-cannibalism/

What if human meat is grown? Could we overcome our taboo against cannibalism? An interesting test case for consequentialist morality versus “yuck reaction” absolutism.

No mention of preferred recipes.  Yet.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Richard Dawkins makes A Modest Proposal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »
Can Jews and Moslems eat long pig?

Can it be kosher or hallal?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »
Other than the "Ick" factor of eating people...meat is meat.
The biggest problem (other than the moral issues) with a cannibal diet is the passage of parasites in under cooked meat. Of course if the main course was perfectly healthy prior to being devoured most of those problems are eliminated.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/07/cannibalism-unhealthy-just-awful/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:44 PM »
Interesting twist on the subject: consuming human muscle cells that were grown in a bioreactor, was never part of a living being and could never be part of a living being.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dm1333

• friend

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »

(****ing Photobucket)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:20:59 PM by Angel Eyes »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »
If you had the ability to grow meat, why wouldn't you just grow beef or whatever animal meat you want?  

What other benefit is there to growing human flesh in the quantity that would be needed for food?  You wouldn't need that much for medical reasons.  It would have to be tailored to the person anyway for medical purposes which would also seem to me to indicate animal flesh could be grown also since the ability to adjust the genetics would have to be there.  

Why would this question come up?  I suspect this is just someone trying to poke holes in yet another societal standard of behavior.  
Yes, we must break “taboos” or we are not free!
;/
or this
The unique, equal, and inherent dignity of every human life is a core belief of Judeo-Christian moral philosophy and a foundation principle of Western civilization. Indeed, every historical evil committed in the West — slavery, eugenics, Jim Crow, the Holocaust, the Inquisition, you name it — flowed directly  from rejecting or disregarding that principle.
Seen in this light, Dawkins’s cannibalistic yearning — there is no reason to eat human meat except as a means of sticking a finger in the Judeo-Christian eye — is both decadent and subversive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 01:12:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm reading That Hideous Strength again, and no. Meat is not meat, unless you're stranded in the Andes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:57:25 AM »
If you had the ability to grow meat, why wouldn't you just grow beef or whatever animal meat you want?

Can we set it up to produce one continuous strip of bacon?  Just unroll, cut to length and fry.

If you could somehow make it self-cooking, you could have a dispenser mounted to the ceiling of your 1976 Pacer.  So much more mirthful than licorice.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »

Because sometimes you're just in the mood for Mexican or Chinese.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 12:47:55 AM »
Because sometimes you're just in the mood for Mexican or Chinese.

:lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:30 AM »
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/07/cannibalism-unhealthy-just-awful/

General Butt Naked   :lol:

My sister-in-law met General Butt Naked during a trip to Africa a few years ago, after his "conversion."   She's a braver person than me I guess.  :O