Author Topic: EDC recommendations  (Read 3928 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
EDC recommendations
« on: March 14, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »
One of my former Scouts recently turned 21, and has applied for his CCW permit.  Eagle Scout, ROTC cadet, great kid.  He has set aside $800, and is looking at buying his first handgun.  He has a nice set of long guns (including a sweet Vector carbine crying out for a suppressor).  Anyways,  he called me looking for recommendations for a 9mm carry gun.  Anyways, I'm going to recommend he look at a Glock 19 and the new Smith M&P 2.0 Compact. Anything else I should recommend? 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: EDC recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:17:46 PM »
Those are both good choices.  Others in that same size family: Springfield XD, H&K VP9 (used, otherwise $$$), Sig 320, FNS 9 to start.  Plenty new and used to choose from and $800 will go a long way in this market.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
Anyways,  he called me looking for recommendations for a 9mm carry gun.  Anyways, I'm going to recommend he look at a Glock 19 and the new Smith M&P 2.0 Compact. Anything else I should recommend?  

Maybe one of the small single stack 9mms.  G43/Shield/XDS, etc.

----edit to add---

He's got a realistic budget, anyway.  That's good.  What I usually see on the web fora is "What gun for $X?", where $X is enough for a tolerable, marginal gun, and nothing else..

With the available cash make sure he gets set up with a good belt, decent holster, bunch-a mags, etc.  (This is where Glock stands out.  I see some interesting stuff out there from small holster makers.  Very short supported gun lists, but Glock is one that is always supported.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:32:11 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »
The CZ P07 and P10C are both excellent guns also.  The P07 offers a DA/SA action which differs from what you mentioned.  The P10C fits a lot of G19 holsters which are common.  Both are affordable.  A lot of people seem to like the HK VP9 also though I have never shot it.  I have seen M&P 2.0 pistols very cheap.  I saw the M&P Compact at a gun show for around $400.  FN makes good pistols, but the magazines are expensive.

IMO, there is some value in seeing how each gun fits his hand size and how he shoots it without a lot of adjustment or practice.  Since it appears he has enough money, he might want to spend $100 or so renting 2 or 3 of those options and shooting them himself to see which appears to work best for him.  (that assumes he doesn't know anyone who has an example he can try)  What feels good at the gun counter isn't always the best shooter.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:40:58 PM »
My other thought, if he is just going to have one pistol for a while, it will be doing double duty as carry and home defense, etc.  The basic double stack carry guns would seem to be a good choice.  However, what he is most comfortable and confident with is the most important part.  He has his whole life to try other guns, experiment, and build up his own collection. 

For that matter, for the money he is talking about, one of the 3" or 4" barreled, 7 shot S&W 357 magnum revolvers would be good.  I have the 3" barreled, 7-shot S&W and it is handy shooter that isn't too awful big.  Ruger has that 5 shot 44 special revolver also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 12:26:30 AM »
Desert Eagle 1911C, maybe?  Looks like the 5" weighs almost as much as the Baby Eagle, so you can use it to break through reinforced concrete if your attacker has excellent instincts for finding hard cover.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:49:52 AM by KD5NRH »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 01:08:58 AM »
Maybe one of the small single stack 9mms.  G43/Shield/XDS, etc.

----edit to add---

He's got a realistic budget, anyway.  That's good.  What I usually see on the web fora is "What gun for $X?", where $X is enough for a tolerable, marginal gun, and nothing else..

With the available cash make sure he gets set up with a good belt, decent holster, bunch-a mags, etc.  (This is where Glock stands out.  I see some interesting stuff out there from small holster makers.  Very short supported gun lists, but Glock is one that is always supported.)

The Shield is another one that seems to have a lot of support in the accessories market. That is a crazy popular gun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 06:31:05 AM »

IMO, there is some value in seeing how each gun fits his hand size and how he shoots it without a lot of adjustment or practice.  Since it appears he has enough money, he might want to spend $100 or so renting 2 or 3 of those options and shooting them himself to see which appears to work best for him.  (that assumes he doesn't know anyone who has an example he can try)  What feels good at the gun counter isn't always the best shooter.  

I couldn't agree with you more, having personally bought a handgun based on looks and feel at the counter, only to find that the darned thing bit my hand every time the slide cycled.  This is why I came here looking for ideas for him to try out before buying.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
A REAL 9mm...

The 9x32R

If I were looking for a new 9mm carry gun, I'd likely be looking hard at the Walther PPQ series.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 07:28:39 AM »
Mid-sized 9mm has become my go to kind of gun. (along with 1911's, but that's a different thread =D)  It's really hard to argue with a mid-sized, striker fired 9 as a good all around pistol.

G19 (obviously)
VP9, yes it's HK, but Buds has them new for $539, so right in the ball park.
PPQ
P320

would be the top of my short list.

XDM and M&P deserve a look as well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »
If I were looking for a new 9mm carry gun, I'd likely be looking hard at the Walther PPQ series.

As a die-hard 1911 guy, it was hard for me to admit that a PPQ was a much better fit in my hand. Just an excellent ergonomic design, and for me, better than any of the other plastic pistols out there that I have shot. I've said many times around here that I think Glocks are great guns, but my 23 just doesn't do it for me, partially because of how it feels in my hand.

I'll never stop carrying 1911s just because, but when I move to America I'll be packing a PPQ a good part of the time. It's always been interesting to me to see some of the hate for the PPQ - I think partially because  many consider it "ugly".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
I'm a revolver fan, so a S&W J frame.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more, having personally bought a handgun based on looks and feel at the counter, only to find that the darned thing bit my hand every time the slide cycled.  This is why I came here looking for ideas for him to try out before buying.
The Arex Rex Zero 1 might be another option.  It has a larger grip, but it has the DA/SA action with decocker and safety that might be good for a new shooter.  Some call it a poor man's Sig P226, but it is a good reliable pistol.  

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
"but when I move to America I'll be packing a PPQ a good part of the time."

You think we're going to allow you to immigrate?

That's cute.  =D

I've only handled one PPQ, and never shot one, but I was extremely impressed with how it fit my hand.

Right now I'm thinking I want a polymer 9mm, primarily as a house gun.

I'm considering one of the new Ruger Security 9s, but I'm also going to be giving the PPQ a very close look. I just wish the PPQ didn't come with the cheese grater in front of the trigger.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
A REAL 9mm...

The 9x32R

That MOdel 19 was my carry gun when I was first with the prosecutor's office.  Boss said we could carry ".38s" for protection.  That was my choice.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »
I have 3 Model 19s, a 2.5", a 4", and a 6".

I've carried both the 2.5" and the 4" at various times, mainly in a shoulder holster.

I prefer revolvers for carry, but have been known to carry semi-autos from time to time, primarily my Taurus PT-22 and my P7PSP.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
I'm a revolver fan, so a S&W J frame.
For a first gun, I would suggest a larger frame revolver.  I would want them to actually enjoy shooting it.   =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 11:09:22 AM »
Balderdash!

It needs to be both as small as possible AND as powerful as possible!

Does anyone make a singleshot derringer in .50 AE?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »
I'd suggest whatever name-brand pistol points best in HIS hands.

When I check out a pistol for "pointability" I pick it up with one hand, get a good grip on it, and then - while still holding the pistol down by my waist - I focus my eyes on a target. I close my eyes, and without opening them, bring up the pistol and point it at where I think the target is. Then I open my eyes, and trying not to move the pistol, see where the sights are actually pointing. After repeating this several times, I get a good idea of where a particular gun naturally points in my hand.

The BHP, Glock, and 1911 platforms work well for me. The Beretta 92 isn't bad, but most SIGs are terrible. YMMV.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
I'd suggest whatever name-brand pistol points best in HIS hands.

When I check out a pistol for "pointability" I pick it up with one hand, get a good grip on it, and then - while still holding the pistol down by my waist - I focus my eyes on a target. I close my eyes, and without opening them, bring up the pistol and point it at where I think the target is. Then I open my eyes, and trying not to move the pistol, see where the sights are actually pointing. After repeating this several times, I get a good idea of where a particular gun naturally points in my hand.

The BHP, Glock, and 1911 platforms work well for me. The Beretta 92 isn't bad, but most SIGs are terrible. YMMV.

Do you think that's because you've a lot of practice with those guns, or is just a function of the design?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »
I was just reviewing the specifications on the PPQ and I just realized...

I want one chambered in .32 ACP...

With an 18-or-more-round magazine...

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
Springfield XDS in .45 ACP is truly one of the best CCW pistols ever.  Small, full power, easy to conceal, easily within your friend's budget.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
I can't disagree too much.  The XDs is a very compact package for what it does and the shootability is good.  The Sig P365 might be good also, but I haven't seen one. 

There are a number of reasonably good $300 to $400 options from S&W, Ruger, and Canik that would also leave room for lots of ammo and spare magazines as well.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 05:08:46 PM »
Do you think that's because you've a lot of practice with those guns, or is just a function of the design?
If I had to put a number on it, I'd say it's about 80% a function of the design and 20% what I'm used to. Pistols I've never owned vary considerably by this test.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
I LOVE my G19! An easily concealable 8 shot single stack from a good manufacturer is a great choice if lighter weight and concealability is high on the list.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!