Author Topic: EDC recommendations  (Read 3929 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: EDC recommendations
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 12:42:19 AM »
Chris, did you tell him he'd put his eye out? You're supposed to tell him.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 06:38:21 AM »
Chris, did you tell him he'd put his eye out? You're supposed to tell him.

That's only if he was getting an official Red Rider carbine with a compass in the stock and the thing that tells time...🤣
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
If daily CCW is the main concern a G26 is hard to beat. Don't let the lack of pinky support fool you, it's merely psychological. It shoots just as well (and has equal round capacity if needed) as the larger versions but conceals far better. DO NOT put a pinky extension on it!

In second place a Sig P365 would be worth looking at, G43 profile but carries ten rounds flush. However given Sig's recent track record, I would wait for it to be in the wild for a year or two to see all the bugs pop up and be solved.

In the long run you will only continuously carry what is easy and convenient so go as small as is practical.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »
If daily CCW is the main concern a G26 is hard to beat. Don't let the lack of pinky support fool you, it's merely psychological. It shoots just as well (and has equal round capacity if needed) as the larger versions but conceals far better. DO NOT put a pinky extension on it!

Looked at G26s and 27s 3 or 4 months back.  I thought the grip was pretty awful short.  Shorter than that of my XD subcompact or XDS.  YMMV, try before you buy.  One of the few times I would be looking into baseplate extenders.

(May yet end up getting one, if this stupid state ends up with a 10 round mag limit after all the shenanigans in Springfield.  <spit>.)

In the long run you will only continuously carry what is easy and convenient so go as small as is practical.

CCW is relatively new here.  My practice is evolving, and size is creeping up.  LCP briefly, 642 for a long while, XDS now.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
Looked at G26s and 27s 3 or 4 months back.  I thought the grip was pretty awful short.  Shorter than that of my XD subcompact or XDS.  YMMV, try before you buy.  One of the few times I would be looking into baseplate extenders.

(May yet end up getting one, if this stupid state ends up with a 10 round mag limit after all the shenanigans in Springfield.  <spit>.)

CCW is relatively new here.  My practice is evolving, and size is creeping up.  LCP briefly, 642 for a long while, XDS now.

That's funny. I started with a full-size, and went down to the XDs.

For me, the hard part about having a short grip on a gun wasn't the shooting. It was having such a short handle to grab onto, in the draw. I don't worry about it anymore, as I got used to it, but I think it does take a little practice.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »
My first thought is that a full grip would be best for a new shooter.  I think something in the G19 size range would be the way to go.  In addition, if this is the only gun owned rather than just for CCW, 15 round capacity is just better all around. 

I have one or two guns with the smaller grips.  They do shoot okay, but I still find it a big uncomfortable. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
According to the OP, this is not his first gun.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
According to the OP, this is not his first gun.

According to the OP, it is his first handgun.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
According to the OP, it is his first handgun.

Correct!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
Your initial recommendations were great.  My suggestions in order of preference and depending on if he is willing to dress around his gun or not:

G19 or G43
M&P9 or Shield

[Long gap]

Whatever current manufacture Ruger/Springfield/FN/HK/CZ/Walther/SIG. 

They'll all be okay with their own drawbacks.  Most will be pretty reliable and pretty accurate and within his price range, but as his first (and currently only) handgun I'd want to see him go with something quality that has a good chance of being supported with holsters, sights, magazines, spare parts, duplicate guns, etc for the foreseeable future.  Nothing else competes with Glock or S&W (in that order) when it comes to US handgun adoption and aftermarket support.  The import/manufacture numbers available from the ATF show that very, very clearly.  

Considering semi-auto pistols only in 2016:
Glock manufactured 368,140 handguns in the US and imported another ~1.2 or 1.3 million from Austria.  
S&W manufactured 1,429,451 in 2016 with a big chunk of those M&P series and Shields.
Ruger built 1,010,236 but most of those were .22s.
Sig Sauer USA built 580,588 pistols
Springfield manufactured 72,013 and imported about half a million XD models.
All the German companies combined (HK, Walther, J. G. Anschütz, etc) imported about half a million and had minimal US manufacturing.
CZ-USA built 9,787 and imported approximately a hundred thousand.
FN imported about 25,000

As you've discovered for yourself, even "big name" manufacturers like SIG will sometimes arbitrarily drop all factory support for a gun without warning.  I don't see that happening anytime soon with the G19 or M&P9.

All of the above assumes he's a shooter, not just a gun owner.  If he is a non-shooting gun owner then it literally doesn't matter.  He can buy a gun, maybe an extra magazine or two if it doesn't already have one and some sort of holster.  Add a couple boxes of ammo and he'll be set for the next few years ... if not for life.  With most gun owners, they'll never have to replace the sights, never need to buy another magazine, never break a part on their gun, almost never carry so they won't really care if their holster works well.  For those folks, it doesn't matter how snowflake unicorn their gun is because they don't use it enough to matter.  The up side to never using them is that they get to repeat over and over that it "never jams" and "never breaks".

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 11:00:17 PM »
Just got home from meeting up with Jake (my Scout from the OP) at the local gun shop/indoor range.  I had my Glock 19 (1st generation of the 19) and my Sig P225A1.  Jake brought his father's Beretta 92A1 (which is what his father told him to buy).  The range is owned by a friend of mine.  When I filled him in on what we were up to, he took an XD, a 4th Gen Glock 19, an M&P 2.0 Compact, and a Walther PPQ.  Charged the price of a single rental, and I paid.  After shooting them all, Jake will be buying tomorrow a 5th Gen Glock 19 with night sights, three mags (for a total of six), a rail light, a kydex IWB holster, mag pouch, and an instructor belt (sorry, don't recall the brand on the carry gear).  Shop owner gave him the military price on everything, so it's going to cost him $700.  Why the Glock?

First, he didn't like the DA/SA trigger of my SIG and his father's Beretta.  I get that.
Second, he didn't like the feel of the XD and Smith as mush as the Glock and PPQ.
Third, he liked how the PPQ felt, but between the price of the pistol and the price of mags, he couldn't afford four additional mags (the Glock came with 3, the PPQ came with 2) and the rail light (which he really wanted), and the quality carry gear. 

I think he made a good choice.  But I also see him saving up and getting a smaller pistol after he tries carrying this one all summer. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »
Cool.  Regardless, it is a reliable pistol that will give him good service for a long time.  Glad he is getting all the accessories and mags up front. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 06:43:29 AM »
Cordex, excellent advice and I agree with all of it, FWIW.

Chris, Jake made a good decision and I think that gear will serve him well for many years.  Is he planning on taking a class anytime soon? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 07:52:14 AM »
Good choice, but I'm rather surprised that he didn't also decide to buy the rail mounted deep fryer.

Nothing is worse than being in a gun fight and suddenly feeling snackish...

Regarding magazine prices... holy crap, I didn't realize that the PPQ magazines were that expensive. I think that may have a significant bearing on my choice of a new semi-auto, although Security-9 magazines aren't cheap, either.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »
Jake will be buying tomorrow a 5th Gen Glock 19 with night sights, three mags (for a total of six), a rail light, a kydex IWB holster, mag pouch, and an instructor belt (sorry, don't recall the brand on the carry gear).

Why the Glock?

Plenty of time later to meander through revolvers, cheap guns, weird guns, etc.

I think he made a good choice.

I do too.

But I also see him saving up and getting a smaller pistol after he tries carrying this one all summer.  

Just one gun?  No such thing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »
Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9C...
...or spend 10k+ on guns,holsters, and training only to come back to the same conclusion later.
G43 or M&P shield are solid single stack compact choices.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 03:37:11 PM »
Jake took his CCW class already,  using a rental Glock 17.  The place we went last night offers a series of classes, and Jake took the flier.  He'll take more classes, because it's his personality. 

On the price of mags, it seems like Glock has the corner on cheap handgun mags, between them and the Plays.  Kind of pushing me towards another Glock, or a 1911 for my next buy.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)