Author Topic: Florida Bridge collapse  (Read 7012 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Florida Bridge collapse
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »
New Pedestrian bridge in Sweetwater Florida collapses on to road, multiple vehicle crushed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article205316174.html

News reports said it was designed to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane and stand for 100 years.
Apparently it wasn't built to design specs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Florida Bridge collapse
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
Wow.  Collapsed onto a road where traffic was held up at a stop light.  Looks bad. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
One article I read says it was assembled overnight and today was the first day in service.

edit: Not one day old, but first built on Saturday.

I wonder if there was a bunch of weight on the bridge while it was being finished and before is was ready for the weight.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »
Not even in service yet.  The large span was dropped in place very recently, but the approach steps/ramps weren't finished.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »
It is very early, but a voice in the back of my head keeps asking if the corruption around the local Sheriff's office and the school district is more widespread. 

I wasn't sure if people were still alive trapped under the rubble or not...so I hate to get into that now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »
New Pedestrian bridge in Sweetwater Florida collapses on to road, multiple vehicle crushed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article205316174.html

Designed as a cable-supported bridge, the $14.2 million bridge project was a collaboration between MCM Construction, a prominent Miami-based contractor, and Figg Bridge Design, based in Tallahassee.[/quote]
Doesn't look like a cable supported bridge to me. It's a truss. I don't think there's any way a cable-supported bridge can be built off-site and then hoisted into position all in one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/15/mass-casualties-reported-after-brand-new-pedestrian-bridge-at-fiu-in-miami-collapses-photos-video/

This Twitchy thread has a video about half way down showing some footage of the span being put in place. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
One eye witness was being interviewed by Shep Smith on Fox and claimed that a large crane was holding a "piece of equipment" used to tension a cable; the crane's hook or cable broke, dropping the "piece of equipment" on the bridge and causing the collapse. We'll see what happens.

Bet the lawyers are furiously working to figure out who to sue - from the construction company to the programmers that made the FEA software the architect presumably used, and everyone in between.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:27:01 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »
Apparently live coverage from the air at a good angle.

https://youtu.be/93BQG71Mr68

Audio is kind of crazy, with repetitive beeps sometimes.

They've got at least two large cranes out there working it over.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
Ancillary FYI  "10 Worst" bridge collapses.

https://youtu.be/-IUkZmswYuc

Gravity wins again.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
Doesn't look like a cable supported bridge to me.

Maybe that's what they forgot.

I don't think there's any way a cable-supported bridge can be built off-site and then hoisted into position all in one.

I can think of a couple ways.  Not practical ways, mind you, but that wouldn't stop government from insisting that contractors try them.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 08:09:41 PM »
I can think of a couple ways.
But where would they find that much used dental floss and chewing gum on such short notice?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
But where would they find that much used dental floss and chewing gum on such short notice?

More of a question of how to transport ballasts big enough, since cable-supported bridges normally use giant deadman anchors for the cables.  If you're making a portable one, you need hundreds of tons of ballast to replace a couple tons of whatever buried in hundreds of tons of the ground off the ends.

Cable-stayed could be done, but they tend to be rather tall for a given span compared to a simple truss, so logistics of transport come into play.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 10:57:44 PM »
Designed as a cable-supported bridge, the $14.2 million bridge project was a collaboration between MCM Construction, a prominent Miami-based contractor, and Figg Bridge Design, based in Tallahassee.
Doesn't look like a cable supported bridge to me. It's a truss. I don't think there's any way a cable-supported bridge can be built off-site and then hoisted into position all in one.

The article says that the span was built next to the road, then they used a "mechanical transporter" to move it into place in one day, in order to minimize disruption.  Looking at the pictures, it's a device like what they used to move the space shuttle into position, or transport nuclear power station cores to their site - basically all wheel drive tractors with massive numbers of wheels/axles, with hydraulic lifts that allow the devices to keep what they're carrying level despite minor grades.  Also, to account for varying shapes for the object across multiple transports.

Well, it's certainly not minimized now.

As for truss vs suspension:
You don't have to have the cables above the bridge:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge,_London
Third video shows the theoretical completed bridge.  It's only seen a couple times, but it's definitely suspension.  Or perhaps, given the structure between the bridge bottom and the roof, a hybrid.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/15/us/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-stats-trnd/index.html

The bridge was supposed to be strong enough to survive without the suspension parts outside of hurricane conditions...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »

Third video shows the theoretical completed bridge.  It's only seen a couple times, but it's definitely suspension.  Or perhaps, given the structure between the bridge bottom and the top, a hybrid.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/15/us/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-stats-trnd/index.html

No cable stays in place when it fell. The bridge shown in the time lapse is only half the total length -- there was going to be a second span to crosss a river next to the highway. I don't think the pylon and cables were in place yet.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 11:06:00 PM »
Where did you see cables or suspension? I didn't see anything like that.

See the giant picture of the bridge I posted?  The big central tower with the poles?

btw, if you replace the img with https://s19.postimg.org/9kxyk1bo3/DX77gar_VAAAUBdw.jpg it'll shrink a bunch, it's a tad large of a picture right now.  Source I grabbed it from had resized it, sadly APS doesn't let me do that with images here.  It's native or nothing.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 11:40:31 PM »
The team that designed and built this thing has prior experience with their bridges collapsing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5507475/Two-construction-cos-Miamis-instant-bridge-collapses-violations.html

Good photo from the article showing the segment that collapsed. It is only half the total length, and doesn't have any cables attached. Those have to be tensioned symmetrically, so that part of the operation would have happened after the other span was erected.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:17:07 AM by Hawkmoon »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »
And holy *expletive deleted*it the anti-Trumpers are coming out of the frigging woodwork to blame the collapse on him...

I've seen some stuff from the left over this that's just... unfreakingbelievable.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »
And holy *expletive deleted*it the anti-Trumpers are coming out of the frigging woodwork to blame the collapse on him...

I've seen some stuff from the left over this that's just... unfreakingbelievable.

And they accused the Obama "birthers" of being delusional!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 09:11:59 AM »
http://www.mammoet.com/

A neighboring site just built a large chemical plant and they were using those multi-wheeled crawlers to move heavy equipment in.  Mammoet was the company doing all the rigging and heavy moving.  They actually built up a barge dock a couple miles away on the Intercoastal and rolled the heavy equipment in from there at night.  They put in a temporary heavy bridge across a canal as well.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »

I wonder if anyone has suggested the bridge was shot with an AR15 yet? 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:44:17 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 03:09:50 PM »
 Only people over 21 should be allowed to use bridges.

But seriously which politician got kickback from hiring this company ?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

University President
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »

It's Miami-Dade.  All of them.