Author Topic: About McCabe getting fired...  (Read 2329 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
About McCabe getting fired...
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
I found this article that seems long on facts and short on hyperbole: https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-firing-andrew-mccabe

It sounds to me like McCabe was fired for cause, but we won't know for sure for another month or two.  The timing of the firing is suspicious in that it seems like the firing was timed to prevent McCabe from collecting his pension, but if the man deserved to be fired, he deserved to fired right now.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: About McCabe getting fired...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
The timing of the firing is suspicious in that it seems like the firing was timed to prevent McCabe from collecting his pension, but if the man deserved to be fired, he deserved to fired right now.

It appears some congressman is going to take him on as a short term hire, so he'll still get his pension.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
It appears some congressman is going to take him on as a short term hire, so he'll still get his pension.

I assumed he would anyway.  As a federal employee all he has to do is work a few more days at a federal agency to meet his goal.  Isn't that how it works?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
I assumed he would anyway.  As a federal employee all he has to do is work a few more days at a federal agency to meet his goal.  Isn't that how it works?

Generally, yes, though if a run of the mill gov worker were fired (actually fired) a few days before full retirement, good luck getting a deal like this. Also, depending on the retirement plan he's on, it's not like this is an "all or nothing" deal. He might not be getting all his retirement, but he'll be getting some, maybe most of it. If they're talking about "a few days" before a full retirement date, the biggest thing I could see affected would be keeping his health insurance.

Also, feds can use acquired sick leave as time in service, so if he only has a few days, doesn't the guy have any sick leave saved up? Though there could be other rules for fed LE.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

Also, feds can use acquired sick leave as time in service, so if he only has a few days, doesn't the guy have any sick leave saved up? Though there could be other rules for fed LE.

I wondered about that. If he was really only two days short of retirement, it would seem that he should be able to apply unused vacation time, sick leave, personal time, etc. to make up the difference.

Not that I feel much sympathy for Mr. McCabe, considering his role in the never-Trump text message scandal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
He'll still collect his pension.

It's almost certainly a case of falling a few days short of being able to immediately begin collecting his pension. If he's vested - and with over 20 years at the FBI, he should be - I bet he'll still get his pension; he'll just have to wait until he's older to begin collecting it.

He's 49 now, turns 50 in may. (Looks older.) One talking head on TV said the firing meant he'd have to wait until he's 57 to begin collecting his pension.

Still a better deal than most remaining private industry pensions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »

One talking head on TV said the firing meant he'd have to wait until he's 57 to begin collecting his pension.

That's the train I'm riding, known as "deferred retirement", though it means you don't keep the gov health insurance (again though, fed LE may have better benefits in this regard). If he takes it at 57, he'll get 75% of his pension. For every year after that he waits to take it, it goes up another 5% until it reaches 100% at 62. At least on the FERS train, which is what I'm on.

But again, if it's really "just a few days", he should have a ton of options to capture those days. "He'll lose everything!" is a great headline though.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »
CNN will hire him.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
I'll just leave this here:  https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/18/gofundme-for-mccabe-started-by-mega-silicon-valley-funder-just-a-tad-short-of-its-goal/

I don't even know how many of these GoFundMes are out there, but there's at least $25k between two of the bigger ones for McCabe. Stormy Daniels raised almost $250k for 'legal expenses'. It boggles my mind what some people do with their money.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
I don't even know how many of these GoFundMes are out there, but there's at least $25k between two of the bigger ones for McCabe. Stormy Daniels raised almost $250k for 'legal expenses'. It boggles my mind what some people do with their money.

So if I have a "budget shortfall" at the end of the month, all I have to do is claim I have a problem with Trump and I can set up a GoFundMe site to finance my lawsuit?

Cool. I'll even donate half the money to Trump's reelection campaign.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 12:01:42 PM »
Who cares about the pension, he will commit suicide or have a accident in the coming months.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
I would say this is pretty much spot on:

I don’t know yet if the DOJ’s decision to terminate McCabe was correct. I haven’t seen the evidence. And until I do, I’ll withhold judgment. But as for the current state of our public discourse? The evidence is in, and the judgment is clear. American partisans beclown themselves more each and every day.

but on a side note - am I the only one that's sick of 'beclown' as a current buzzword? I see it everywhere now and its snarky novelty has worn off.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »

but on a side note - am I the only one that's sick of 'beclown' as a current buzzword? I see it everywhere now and its snarky novelty has worn off.

Between you and me, I bemoan the use of beclown because it befuddles me that our betters behave in such a manner that is beneath them.

I could go on, but it behooves me to stop before I belabor the point.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 12:49:57 PM »

Yes. The rest of us are sick of the clowns, and their clownish behavior.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
 :facepalm:  You guys are only beclowning yourselves ..... =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
Between you and me, I bemoan the use of beclown because it befuddles me that our betters behave in such a manner that is beneath them.

I could go on, but it behooves me to stop before I belabor the point.

As a Hahvahd-educated engineer I once worked with used to tell the interns, "It behooves us to eschew obfuscation."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:45:39 PM »

Yes. The rest of us are sick of the clowns, and their clownish behavior.

https://youtu.be/K1fVQGESUTo?t=30

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
I wondered about that. If he was really only two days short of retirement, it would seem that he should be able to apply unused vacation time, sick leave, personal time, etc. to make up the difference.

Not that I feel much sympathy for Mr. McCabe, considering his role in the never-Trump text message scandal.

I read somewhere that he was already doing this, basically on terminal leave.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
FBI and DOJ top officials conspire to cover up criminal charges against Hillary and instead direct them at duly elected President through fabrications and perjury in a soft coup... caught betraying the Republic and biggest worry is losing pension?

=|
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
From what I've heard, they're basically helping an upper-upper-middle class government lawyer/law enforcement figure to continue living in the splendor and comfort to which he is accustomed. Because the Left is all about sticking up for the powerless, voiceless little guy, I guess.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife