Author Topic: Uh oh... I think the robot uprising has begun...  (Read 3034 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Uh oh... I think the robot uprising has begun...
« on: March 19, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »
A self-driving Uber ran down and killed an Arizona woman.

I don't think it was an accident.

Of course the story (blurb really) came up on my phone app, but they've not yet updated the home page on the internet to include it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Uh oh... I think the robot uprising has begun...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
Instead of walking, she should have taken an Uber. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
It looks like they had a human in the driver's seat as a safeguard.  I guess that didn't work out well.  Wonder if the person was even paying attention. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
It looks like they had a human in the driver's seat as a safeguard.  I guess that didn't work out well.  Wonder if the person was even paying attention. 

Probably not.  It's really tough to have people on watch "just in case" where they don't normally need to do anything.  Witness the Tesla fatality where the human involved was actively not paying any attention.

Personally, it is looking like Uber is running their self-driving car program like they do the rest of their company - pushing the edges, slightly incompetent. 

They've had more reported incidents, and more serious ones, than the rest of their competitors combined.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/science/2018/03/15/walmart-robot-drone-bees-patent/428935002/

If the robot uprising has bee-gun, imagine what these little things could do.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
From the above article:

Walmart files hundreds of patents each year, many of which never go beyond the "what if?" stage,

I found this kind of interesting, maybe they are trying to corner the market on future stuff, or at least make someone pay if they want to go forward with some technology.

bob

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
Instead of walking, she should have taken an Uber. 

That is quite the business plan...if you are walking then you are not using our service so you must die.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »
Dash Cam video has been released.

https://thenextweb.com/artificial-intelligence/2018/03/22/dashcam-footage-fatal-uber-self-driving-car-accident/

Looking at the video, I don't know if I'd have been able to stop in time, even as I'm specifically looking for someone with a bike to pop up in front of me.

I'd have thought that the self-driving cars can actually see better than I can, but apparently, they also are unable to see thing outside of headlight range.

Also, who walks a bike in the middle of the night SLOWLY across a highway?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:10:20 AM »
Reading a bit on the background of the "driver", I was actually quite surprised to see that Uber appears to be using the equivalent of "burger flippers" as their test drivers. I would have assumed they would be using people with expertise in the technology to assist in realtime diagnosis, and also have some minimum requirements on the "paying attention" front - especially at night.

I can totally see the "driver" taking their eyes off the road for extended periods in daylight on a desert highway to monitor diagnostic equipment, but not in the city or at night. In that case it seems like they should have two people in the vehicle - one paying 100% attention to the road, and one paying 100% attention to diagnostic stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »
That would cost money.
Of course a person is now dead but hey, that's just collateral damage on the road of progress.
Kind of sucks to be that person's family but I'm sure the paltry couple of grand they eventually get after multiple years of litigation will assuage the minuscule (if any at all) amount of guilt felt by the officers of the company.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
Dash Cam video has been released.

https://thenextweb.com/artificial-intelligence/2018/03/22/dashcam-footage-fatal-uber-self-driving-car-accident/

Looking at the video, I don't know if I'd have been able to stop in time, even as I'm specifically looking for someone with a bike to pop up in front of me.

I'd have thought that the self-driving cars can actually see better than I can, but apparently, they also are unable to see thing outside of headlight range.

Also, who walks a bike in the middle of the night SLOWLY across a highway?

When I saw that dash cam video this morning my first thought was there was no way I’d have been able to stop in time. It also looked like they were crossing the street in a strange place; not a normal spot someone would cross a street.

The “driver” was obviously not paying attention to the road, almost looked like texting or checking a phone; but could have been something they do while monitoring the car too. It would probably be difficult to pay attention in the same way as when driving though just sitting in the car not doing anything.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
There is probably one guy in the driver's seat playing on his phone or reading his kindle and another diagnostic guy at a remote site to monitor multiple vehicles who is also playing with his phone or reading his kindle.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
When I saw that dash cam video this morning my first thought was there was no way I’d have been able to stop in time. It also looked like they were crossing the street in a strange place; not a normal spot someone would cross a street.

The “driver” was obviously not paying attention to the road, almost looked like texting or checking a phone; but could have been something they do while monitoring the car too. It would probably be difficult to pay attention in the same way as when driving though just sitting in the car not doing anything.
Okay, I hadn't seen the video.  That is a fast road, not extremely well lit, and the pedestrian didn't seem to be paying a lot of attention either. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
That would cost money.

The "burger flipper" alone would be fine if they had some minimal training and their sole job was acting as if they were driving the vehicle, just as if it was not automated. All the diagnostic stuff is being recorded and maybe realtime transmitted anyway.

I think the self-driving experimenters have just become too complacent too early. They probably figured they have a 97% success rate so they can slack off. IMO, you don't do that until 99.5% for something like this.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 11:25:25 AM »
I've heard a couple of times now that manned vehicle crashes have a fatality rate of one per 100 million miles driven. They're saying the unmanned (self-crashing  =) ) cars have been driven only about 8 million miles (combined). So I guess they have to make it to 108 million miles without a fatality to be as safe as a manned vehicle?

I did find a source on fatality rates.
https://www.rand.org/news/press/2016/04/12.html

Although the total number of crashes, injuries and fatalities from human drivers is high, the rate of these failures is low in comparison with the number of miles that people drive. Americans drive nearly 3 trillion miles every year, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. In 2013, there were 2.3 million injuries reported, which is a failure rate of 77 injuries per 100 million miles driven. The related 32,719 fatalities correspond to a failure rate of about 1 fatality per 100 million miles driven.

“The most autonomous miles any developer has logged are about 1.3 million, and that took several years. This is important data, but it does not come close to the level of driving that is needed to calculate safety rates,” said Susan M. Paddock, co-author of the study and senior statistician at RAND. “Even if autonomous vehicle fleets are driven 10 million miles, one still would not be able to draw statistical conclusions about safety and reliability.”
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
Reading a bit on the background of the "driver", I was actually quite surprised to see that Uber appears to be using the equivalent of "burger flippers" as their test drivers. I would have assumed they would be using people with expertise in the technology to assist in realtime diagnosis, and also have some minimum requirements on the "paying attention" front - especially at night.

Burger-flipper drivers - hmmmm. A self-driving food truck. Now that has potential. Is the cooking autonomous?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
Burger-flipper drivers - hmmmm. A self-driving food truck. Now that has potential. Is the cooking autonomous?

Pre-cooked, a rolling Automat. Drive to predetermined points like constructions sites, hospitals, etc, spend 20 minutes or less if no purchases in 8 minutes or so and then off to the next spot.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »
It looks like they had a human in the driver's seat as a safeguard.  I guess that didn't work out well.  Wonder if the person was even paying attention.  

In-car video shows that he wasn't. However, it was at night and the forward-facing video shows that she wasn't visible until an instant before impact. It's unlikely the safety driver could have seen her in time to react anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtTB8hTgHbM
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
I assume that driver-less technology relies on GPS for choosing a route? If so, it can't work for me. For some obscure reason, my TomTom GPS thinks the entrance to my property isn't on the street where my address, mailbox and driveway are located, but on a parallel street behind my house. Any time I fire up the GPS in the driveway, it starts off telling me to proceed straight for 100 yards. That would require driving through the rear wall of the garage, down a steep hill, through a section of woods, across a stone wall, and through a neighbor's yard.

I think I'll hold off on the self-driving thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 02:47:54 PM »
There is an obvious solution to this problem; if we all had some form of rfid/gps trackers installed the autonomous vehicles could track us. What could possible go wrong. Besides it’s for the children!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
I figure that autonomous vehicles will at some point be designed to communicate between each other within a certain distance in order to be most efficient.  If my car can communicate with the car in front of me, we can achieve a safe following distance approaching zero.  Traffic lights can become much more efficient, adjusting the speed of approaching vehicles so that they mesh with cross traffic as they pass through intersections, possibly requiring much less frequent full stops.  I suppose this communication might also extend to alerting the pack if a particular car in the pack is about to malfunction or crash.  I also assume the cars may decide among themselves whether a particular car might need to "sacrifice" itself to achieve the lowest possible number of casualties of an incident.  Your car, which is only carrying you (maybe a chain smoking 80 year old conservative gun owner), may be chosen to run itself off the cliff so that the passenger van full of nuns on the way to a Planned Parenthood seminar may be spared.

Are you okay with this new technology that's coming our way?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 08:22:08 PM »
I assume that driver-less technology relies on GPS for choosing a route? If so, it can't work for me. For some obscure reason, my TomTom GPS thinks the entrance to my property isn't on the street where my address, mailbox and driveway are located, but on a parallel street behind my house. Any time I fire up the GPS in the driveway, it starts off telling me to proceed straight for 100 yards. That would require driving through the rear wall of the garage, down a steep hill, through a section of woods, across a stone wall, and through a neighbor's yard.

I think I'll hold off on the self-driving thing.

That's really more of a TomTom thing than problem with all of GPS tech.  I rank TomTom devices slightly above an enthusiastic mentally handicapped person riding shotgun.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
We need four people monitoring these cars at all times! One person for each side. And maybe put a fifth up top in some sort of cupola with something to warn/chase people out of the path of the vehicle.

And maybe a sixth to be constantly on the radio back to base with updates.

And of course a car full of technicians and mechanics following it to make repairs if needed.

With that many people you probably need some folks from HR to make sure the interpersonal stuff goes smoothly so they'll need their own car.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
Does the car have that radar stuff the new car commercials advertise that is supposed to apply the breaks if it sees something in your path?  It seems to me something like that would have helped if it wasn't there.