Author Topic: You guys did good with the scope question. Now let's try Intermittent Fasting  (Read 2413 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
I have been looking at intermittent fasting as an adjunct to my diet and gym work out in order to bring my body fat down a small amount. I was looking at doing the 16 hour fast with an 8 hour feeding window every day. What does the hive mind think of this? A legitimate way to do a little or quackery? This inquiring mind wants to know. :)

https://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

bob

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Every reputable source I've seen said pig out at breakfast and skip (or snack as lightly as you can handle for) lunch.  Reason being that your metabolism is ramping up for the day a breakfast time, and giving your body lots of fuel right then helps it stay out of "conservation mode" so it'll burn carbs and/or fat rather than trying to stockpile them.

And, of course, continuously swill water like you're trying to detox for the most important drug test of your life.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I've been lazily doing intermittent fasting. Seemed an easy way to "diet".

The biggest change is, instead of putting on extra weight in the winter, I seem to have kept at the same weight. I'll see what happens when summer comes and I am able to be far more active.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
My wife and I have done it ever since we saw the special on PBS.  I did a literature search in Medline and thought there was something to it.  We follow the 2 days fast (Mondays and Thursdays) and 5 day regular sensible eating model. I eat 600 calories on my fasting days, she eats 500 calories.  We generally fast from 1800 hours on Sunday to 1200 hours on Monday, and the same pattern for Thursday. It has worked for us.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
This is interesting to me. I haven't done this exactly, but since I retired, I went on the "German food plan". Basically, eating the largest meal of the day at midday. At dinnertime, I either have a light meal, or more often, just have a banana or similar, or sometimes nothing but a 100 cal container of Muscle Milk, or sometimes just water. My breakfasts alternate between something like steak and eggs and a banana and yogurt - basically alternating light and heavy breakfast days.

So on the banana and yogurt breakfast days, you could say that I've been essentially following "intermittent fasting", with at the most maybe 500 calories in the 24 hours between mid-day meals. It doesn't at all feel like fasting to me, since I'm asleep a third of that time. I do feel like I more easily control my weight this way - especially with the not eating in the late afternoon/evening.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
all things in moderation.  Fasting makes little or no sense.   

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
I've been lazily doing intermittent fasting. Seemed an easy way to "diet".

The biggest change is, instead of putting on extra weight in the winter, I seem to have kept at the same weight. I'll see what happens when summer comes and I am able to be far more active.

This mirrors my experience. This is the first year I haven't gained any weight over the winter.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

Actually....
Intermittent fasting has been proven to release fat stores into the bloodstream, where they are metabolized because of lack of food in the blood stream.  It should be managed and balanced with proper nutrition and exercise for lasting results. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons

Sure it does.  That is exactly what are caveman ancestors did.  And the hunter-gatherers, because a meal can't be guaranteed every day.  Most predators eat that way, too.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I've been on this pretty much since I retired. It works well for me and I find myself having both more energy during the day, and also sleeping well at night.

I'm not exactly following the "standard" plan. Every other day is a breakfast of something like steak and eggs, with the in-between days being something like oatmeal and/or various fruits or a protein shake. Running days are usually the lighter breakfast while strength training days are the heavier breakfast.

My mid-day meal is generally large and might be anything from tritip and asparagus, to a burger, to chicken burritos. Once a week I do a "cheat" meal midday, which might be pizza or some other high calorie food at a local eatery.

I don't stick to the "only two meals" plan. I almost always have something light later in the afternoon. It might be a small open-faced turkey sandwich, or a few bites of leftover tritip, or just an apple or something. No eating after 1700. That cutoff is I think what really makes this plan work for me, since I'm doing very little calorie burning after that time. Plus I sleep better on a semi-empty stomach. If I still feel hungry in the evening, I just drink water.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
You should eat like a king for breakfast, like a merchant for lunch and peon for dinner.  Nothing after 6PM. :old:

I know that to be true because I don't do it and am 30 lbs overweight.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
You should eat like a king for breakfast, like a merchant for lunch and peon for dinner.  Nothing after 6PM. :old:

I know that to be true because I don't do it and am 30 lbs overweight.

Old wives tale.  Your body metabolizes food the same when you're sleeping or not. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
I somewhat do, from 6am until 2:30 pm I eat like a pig. I prefer little to no dinner. Acid reflux and I sleep like crap just from my body working to digest food.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Acid reflux and I sleep like crap just from my body working to digest food.

That's another reason for me. All that diving at work over 20 years eventually caught up with me resulting in a damaged esophagus, and acid reflux hits me pretty easy. The dive doc at the time put me on a "the rest of your life" prescription for Rantidine, but I found that keeping my weight in a decent range and not eating in the evening lets me mostly skip the pills.

grampster

• friend
I somewhat do, from 6am until 2:30 pm I eat like a pig. I prefer little to no dinner. Acid reflux and I sleep like crap just from my body working to digest food.

I've had acid reflux for over 60 years.  Thank heavens now a days there are great meds for it with little side effects.  My doc prescribes 40 mg of Pantoprozole twice a day.  I've not had a problem in years.  But if you don't want to do that, there is an OTC liquid you can get at the health food store.  It can also be ordered on the 'net.  It's from the Caleb Treeze Organic Farms.   It's name is odd, but here it is:  Stops Acid Reflux In About One Minute.  I've used it on and off for a few years and keep it around because Swmbo and a couple of family members also suffer from acid reflux from time to time.  It really works well!!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20191226/intermittent-fasting-diet-could-boost-your-health?src=RSS_PUBLIC#1

More positive research for intermittent fasting. Unfortunately the NEJM article is only available to paid subscribers.

sumpnz

• friend
Calories in minus calories out.  While certain foods or schedules might make it easier than others for particular people to maintain a caloric deficit, ultimately it's that simple math that determines if you gain, lose, a or maintain your weight.  Intermittent fasting, or any other schedule, will only make a difference to the calories out side of the equation at the margins.

MechAg94

• friend
I was also thinking there are psychological benefits of getting your mind/habits used to eating smaller portions or skipping meals. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
I was also thinking there are psychological benefits of getting your mind/habits used to eating smaller portions or skipping meals. 

This. I think 90% of the benefits probably come from the mental commitment to have control over when you eat, instead of letting your brain stem control it, plus intermittent fasting has built-in periods where it's normal to be hungry, but just still not eating. I mean calorie restriction diets absolutely work, the problem is that you WILL be hungry. By managing the hungry periods and being able to realize it's ok to be hungry now but you won't be hungry later, that's probably most of the battle.

When my kids tell me they are hungry I usually tell them it's ok to be hungry, it's a normal body function, we are eating supper in a couple of hours. It's basically the adult version of that.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.endocrinologynetwork.com/view/jama-review-details-current-evidence-base-surrounding-intermittent-fasting-for-weight-loss

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2787246?utm_campaign=articlePDF&utm_medium=articlePDFlink&utm_source=articlePDF&utm_content=jamanetworkopen.2021.39558

Conclusions
This umbrella review found beneficial associations of IF with anthropometric and cardiometabolic outcomes that were supported by moderate to high quality of evidence. Our results support the role of IF, especially MADF, in adults with overweight or obesity as a weight loss approach with metabolic benefits. More clinical trials with long-term follow-up are needed to investigate the effects of IF on clinical outcomes such as cardiovascular events and mortality.