Author Topic: David Hogg -- Egomaniac  (Read 14306 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
David Hogg -- Egomaniac
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/03/27/david-hogg-im-changing-world-uc-schools-still-rejected/

So the mouth from the south has been rejected by both UCLA and UCSD. He makes it sound like the schools rejected him because of his efforts to "change the world." More than likely, he's a mediocre student who was rejected on the basis of his grades and/or his college board scores.

It's good that he's too busy changing the world to worry about a little thing like contiuing his education, though. I certainly wouldn't want him to get his priorities skewed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: David Hogg -- Egomaniac
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/03/27/david-hogg-im-changing-world-uc-schools-still-rejected/

So the mouth from the south has been rejected by both UCLA and UCSD. He makes it sound like the schools rejected him because of his efforts to "change the world." More than likely, he's a mediocre student who was rejected on the basis of his grades and/or his college board scores.

It's good that he's too busy changing the world to worry about a little thing like contiuing his education, though. I certainly wouldn't want him to get his priorities skewed.

Among the things I heard in the news about how egregious this is: "He's an A student with a 1200-ish SAT score."

So, he's a slightly above-average student. Slightly above-average WHITE, MALE, student. How shocking the colleges aren't knocking down his doors to get him.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »
Behold the mighty power of the NRA.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »
Made me laugh.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »
:lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
California colleges obviously wouldn't want a leftist activist on their campuses.  Duh.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 05:19:31 PM »
Among the things I heard in the news about how egregious this is: "He's an A student with a 1200-ish SAT score."

Heck, I had a 1360 back on the pre-95 scoring, and only the lesser-known colleges were really pushing me to go there.  Of course, we also had two (out of supposedly 7 nationwide) perfect scores at my school that year, (one got a 1580 and the "I was so close" was unbearable until he got to retake it for his 1600) and the other one's younger sister managed a 1600 the next year.

Plus, it's entirely possible that colleges find they don't actually want a loudmouth, opportunist busybody when they can see what a pain it is to put up with him beforehand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 06:24:25 PM »
Heck, I had a 1360 back on the pre-95 scoring, and only the lesser-known colleges were really pushing me to go there.  Of course, we also had two (out of supposedly 7 nationwide) perfect scores at my school that year, (one got a 1580 and the "I was so close" was unbearable until he got to retake it for his 1600) and the other one's younger sister managed a 1600 the next year.

Plus, it's entirely possible that colleges find they don't actually want a loudmouth, opportunist busybody when they can see what a pain it is to put up with him beforehand.

I was going to comment that I don't see 1200 on the SATs as being anything to brag about. The scoring was different when I took them, I assume, but 1600 was still perfect. I was mid-1500s -- so were about 20 of my classmates. I applied to four colleges and was only accepted by one. 1200 to me is pretty much an "eh."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »
I aint no rocket surgeon, but 1200 out of a possible 1600 is 75%.  That is a C grade.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »
In the UC system (at least when I was in it), you'd better have at least a 3.8 if you're a white guy and be rockin' a 4.0 if you're Asian. That said, they do love a good SJW story so that they can show their diversity, so I'm kinda surprised they shot him down. He should try UC Santa Cruz or UC Berkeley.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »
In the UC system (at least when I was in it), you'd better have at least a 3.8 if you're a white guy and be rockin' a 4.0 if you're Asian. That said, they do love a good SJW story so that they can show their diversity, so I'm kinda surprised they shot him down. He should try UC Santa Cruz or UC Berkeley.

If he couldn't get into UCSD or UCLA, he's not getting into Berkeley. 

Santa Cruz, maybe.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
Here's an article that says Hogg has a 4.2 GPA and scored 1270 on his SATs. I'm still not impressed.

https://www.westernjournal.com/david-hoggs-college-applications-arent-going-the-way-he-hoped/

This article also lists four California colleges that he was rejected by.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »
I got in nowhere, took sat once at start of 11th grade, no prep, 1360. GPA for me started in eighth grade. My GPA junior/senior year was above 4.0, but the final score was 2.52. Guess who gave precisely zero shits about school eighth and ninth grade? I didn't miss much, a year of community college convinced me that I hated school in all forms. So I joined the military. First thing they do? Effing test. And class, and test, etc. I was responsible for tutoring the 31 score asvab guys through boot camp. They made it.

I hear in my town that dear old UVA accepted about 30% of it's applicants. Not a real exclusive school. When I was trying to get into the service academies they would have about 12k applicants for 1500 slots. I made the first cut with wonderful letters from my senator and rep, but the second cut? See GPA.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »
Here's an article that says Hogg has a 4.2 GPA and scored 1270 on his SATs. I'm still not impressed.

79% score.  Still a C. 

4.2/5.0 = 84% 

So, he is a C to B student.  Average at best.  Hello Junior College. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 10:43:17 PM »
I don't think the kid is stupid, but he's no genius either.  Even so, I predict he will land a scholarship to some particularly Marxist college on the basis of his publicity alone

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »

Hmm. I was stating the standard scale, where 4.0 is as high as you can go. Apparently the UCs are doing the "weighted" thing now:

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/freshman/profiles/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 12:02:15 AM »
Hmm. I was stating the standard scale, where 4.0 is as high as you can go. Apparently the UCs are doing the "weighted" thing now:

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/freshman/profiles/index.html

What's the "weighted thing"? I always thought 4.0 was the max, too. Seeing him listed as a 4.2 was a surprise -- I assumed it was a typographical error and that it should have been 3.2.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 12:55:43 AM »
What's the "weighted thing"? I always thought 4.0 was the max, too. Seeing him listed as a 4.2 was a surprise -- I assumed it was a typographical error and that it should have been 3.2.

I don't know about weighted, but I know some kids score 4 + for taking classes that are considered to be college-level.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 12:59:44 AM »

My understanding is that advanced placement/college level courses that you take in High School get weighted differently than, say, Home Economics or PE. Basically, it's a way to help distinguish people who chose more academically difficult course work from those who took "easy A" classes.

4.2 sounds like he did take some AP classes but didn't exactly ace any of them.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 07:13:18 AM »
My understanding is that advanced placement/college level courses that you take in High School get weighted differently than, say, Home Economics or PE. Basically, it's a way to help distinguish people who chose more academically difficult course work from those who took "easy A" classes.

I thought that was already built into the grade point system. Otherwise, there was no reason to depart from just using a straight grade average. (Which, in my high school class, resulted in a girl who took all typing and stenography courses being valedictorian, while a girl who took all advanced placement classes in her senior year and aced them all was only salutatorian.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
Man - what a snowflake. He wants a boycott of all Laura Ingrahm's advertisers because she mentioned this college thing on her show.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/29/a-conservative-has-a-warning-for-laura-ingrahams-advertisers-now-that-david-hogg-called-for-a-boycott/

If this isn't a great example of why you don't "let the kids lead", I don't know what is.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
Man - what a snowflake. He wants a boycott of all Laura Ingrahm's advertisers because she mentioned this college thing on her show.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/29/a-conservative-has-a-warning-for-laura-ingrahams-advertisers-now-that-david-hogg-called-for-a-boycott/

If this isn't a great example of why you don't "let the kids lead", I don't know what is.

MOCKTASTIC!

Incidentally, the only reason we know this kids SAT score, his GPA, and his HILARIOUS failure to get into colleges is because he publicized all of them.

Looks like we have confirmation, in addition to his mediocre test scores, that he's not all that bright.

Of course, that's EXACTLY what the left wants. People who aren't all the bright are much easier to manipulate.

He's been failed by all the adults in his life and will end up being a bitter wash-out.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
I'm shocked universities aren't begging to get this evil prick to attend.  Good for them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
Hell's horses. Everybody and their brother and sister and Ingraham caved and apologized. And of course the kid and his sister took it like the brats they are.

Another example of why you don't cave to these SJW punks, especially when you've done nothing wrong.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/29/taking-bets-will-david-hogg-be-moved-by-this-apology-from-laura-ingraham/