Author Topic: Super easy  (Read 2562 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Super easy
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:22:03 AM »
When my daughter and I left my ex...I didn't have two nickels to rub together.
Scraping together a meal was not easy.

4-5 New potatoes, diced
1/4 head of cabbage, shredded
1 "horseshoe" smoked beef sausage, cut to 2 inch sections

Put in pot, boil until potatoes tender. Drain. Season with a butter pat, salt and pepper. Mustard on the side to dip sausage.

My daughter considers this a "comfort food".
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Super easy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
When my daughter and I left my ex...I didn't have two nickels to rub together.
Scraping together a meal was not easy.

4-5 New potatoes, diced
1/4 head of cabbage, shredded
1 "horseshoe" smoked beef sausage, cut to 2 inch sections

Put in pot, boil until potatoes tender. Drain. Season with a butter pat, salt and pepper. Mustard on the side to dip sausage.

My daughter considers this a "comfort food".

That sounds good. We usually do potatoes and onions with the sausage, but we steam it. I'll have to try it with cabbage, too.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »
I've made something like that many times over the years. I, too, add onion and also garlic.

What I've always done, though, is put the cabbage and potatoes on the bottom and the onions, sausage and garlic on top of that and steam it until done.

Then I reduce the cooking liquid and use that was a pour over sauce.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 10:47:41 AM »
Then I reduce the cooking liquid and use that as a pour over sauce.

That's been my favorite part of learning to use my new braiser, how many of the recipes call for doing exactly this. I'll have to try it on this recipe, as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
Yeah, you can really do it several different ways. That's the versatility of cabbage/sausage/potatoes =D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
Got a buddy who does sausage with kraut, onions, granny Smith apple, and noodles.  Quite tasty.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »
Got a buddy who does sausage with kraut, onions, granny Smith apple, and noodles.  Quite tasty.

That's also an old standard where I grew up in Pennsylvania.

Pork with apples and onions is practically our national dish. After sauerkraut, of course.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.