Author Topic: New LED bulb type I found at Home Depot...  (Read 1072 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
New LED bulb type I found at Home Depot...
« on: April 15, 2018, 03:45:20 PM »
One of the big complaints about LED bulbs is that each step up in wattage means the bulb is bigger... 40 watt bulbs were the closest to the standard incandescent size, and 100s were SIGNIFICANTLY bigger, to the point that they were problematic in some light fixtures.

I was at HD yesterday, and found a Philips 100w equiv (1500 lumens, so a little dimmer), 14.5 watt draw bulb. Two pack, actually. The great thing is that they are VERY close to the size of a standard light bulb.

They're only 10 year rated, but the two pack was $12.

They're model 9290011349A.

The light is more than good enough for general purpose lighting.

Oh, and these are warm white, 2700 K.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: New LED bulb type I found at Home Depot...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
4400 F is "warm?" On the surface of the sun?

:P
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 04:13:14 PM »
Yeah, that always bothered me, too.  I reckon it's emotional temperature rather than color temperature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

Steel-ish iron melts around 2500-2700°F.

That bulb size problem showed up with the Compact Fluorescents in my bathroom fixture with four sockets.  Grrr.

I started to go to LEDs, too.  With Compact Fluorescents, I found around 5000-6000K were best for photography without software correction.

Terry

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:45:25 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »
I think a number of manufacturers are now making 100W-equivalents in the standard, A-19 size. Definitely a good development.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »
These are the first that I've seen.

I have a couple of lamps that could really benefit from 100 watt bulbs, but which can't use the larger 100w LEDs because of shade/bail restrictions, or it's a "bulb clamp" shade.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
"With Compact Fluorescents, I found around 5000-6000K were best for photography without software correction."

You didn't have problems with getting a green cast from the fluorescents?

"Steel-ish iron melts around 2500-2700°F."

I've never quite understood the entire "temperature of light" either. Or why it only applies to light used for... lighting. Or why the standard reference is some unobtainable black body ideal. Never could quite figure out why they didn't use some sort of positional depiction on a spectrum.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »
Never could quite figure out why they didn't use some sort of positional depiction on a spectrum.

Do you mean something like this?

"Daylight" lamps are supposed to resemble the sort of light you'd have on a sunny day, at around noon. The "warm" colors are supposed to look more like the light you'd get from an incandescent bulb, or a morning or evening light. Not as harsh; more yellow-ish.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:36:50 PM »
"With Compact Fluorescents, I found around 5000-6000K were best for photography without software correction."

You didn't have problems with getting a green cast from the fluorescents?"

No, the light is pretty blue compared to a normal incandescent.  The phosphors are selected to make blue-ish light.  Sort of* like the blue phosphors in a color CRT on old TV sets. (And it isn't like mixing yellow and blue paint.)

"Steel-ish iron melts around 2500-2700°F."

I've never quite understood the entire "temperature of light" either. Or why it only applies to light used for... lighting. Or why the standard reference is some unobtainable black body ideal. Never could quite figure out why they didn't use some sort of positional depiction on a spectrum.

See fistful's chart.  I think the energy-wavelength relationship had something to do with our use of color temps in K.

And remember there's as much as 374 units of difference between °F, °C , and K.  Not too significant at stellar temps, but at our earthly industrial temps, it may be.

Terry

I say "sort of" because the CRT phosphors are excited by an electron beam, and the Flourescent Lamp ones from the ultraviolet generated within the lamp's gas.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:53:28 PM by 230RN »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:41:57 PM »
Color temperature is mostly relative, although certain standards exist for sciencey reasons. Without going into boring detail, an object will glow with the "color" of light relative to that object's temperature in degrees Kelvin. However, as Mike mentioned, it's relative to a black-body object and doesn't necessarily correlate directly to what our eyes perceive.

In general, though, this chart covers the needed bases for choosing a lamp to suite your aesthetic.

Mike, you mentioned tints and tones relative to photography. Honestly, it doesn't matter what color temp the source it so long as your white balance is set properly. What's frustrating is the spectral notching inherent in fluorescent lamps compared to incandescent lamps. It's there in LEDs too, but has been engineered out to a greater degree. Short of an actual meter, the best way to judge spectral continuity is the color rendering index (CRI). Higher CRI usually correlates to a less choppy/more balanced emissions spectra.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:56:00 PM »

Well

1.  Well, it's a standard used for light emission?  Colored LEDs and such are rated the same way, just for 1 wavelength, not simply the maximum
2.  Black body is actually fairly obtainable.  They're called incandescent lights.
3.  It is a positional depiction on a spectrum, of temperature.  Basically, the maximum temperature wavelength the emitter puts out. 
4.  We have multiple measurements.  For example, the CRI(Color Rating Index) attempts to say how "white" the white light actually is.

Plus, everybody has different tolerances.  If the light looks too blue for you, buy a "warmer" light.  If it's too yellow/orange, buy a "cooler" one.  Yes, the actual temperatures are flipped because humanity learned to associate fires with heat, which are actually cooler than the sun.

If it just looks funky, look for a higher CRI.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:01 AM »
I took the "shade" off one double-socket ceiling fixture (for better lighting) and had a "warm" (yellowish) CFL amp in one socket and a "daylight" (blueish) lamp in the other.  It just happened that way at one point.

Made for interesting shadows, since at certain distances and objects and angles, the shadow from the yellow lamp looked blue, and the shadow from the blue lamp looked yellow.

It wasn't a knock yer socks off effect and I got used to it, but it was a bit disconcerting at first in a "say, whut?" sense.

Terry

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:06:31 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:12:17 AM »
Lots of good information in here. Thanks, guys.

"Do you mean something like this?"

You know, I never noticed that on light bulbs before. Never paid much attention to the back of the box. I went back and looked at a couple of boxes I've purchased recently. Two had the color bar spectrum like the one you show, but the box of GEs I started talking about in this thread just have a purple line with "warm white" and an arrow showing where it sits on that line.

CRI I'm familiar with. Being in the advertising and magazine trades means that I've worked a lot with artists over the years.