Author Topic: Shrimp scampi  (Read 2516 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Shrimp scampi
« on: August 05, 2018, 02:19:13 AM »
Super easy. Linguine or fettucine drowned in garlic, butter, and shrimp.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Shrimp scampi
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
I prefer the larger shrimp. The Red Lobster and the Olive Garden here in town like to use the tiny shrimp and it's like "why are we playing hide and seek with the shrimp?" put those big suckers in there!

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
Agreed! I like the *roughly* 13-15 count/per lb. Big enough to not be fiddly yet not an arm and a leg to purchase.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
I love shrimp scampi.

I used to make it for my Mom at the holidays, she also loved it.

I always made it with a good, dry white wine, fresh lemon, fresh garlic, good butter, and fresh herbs, and freshly grated parm.

I always served it over angel hair or rice.

Some years ago we had a guy do concrete work in my community. Come the holidays he gave us (board members) a couple of cases of white wine from Portugal (where he came from).

The stuff was absolutely awful. Undrinkable, as far as I'm concerned, VERY dry, and just... harsh.

On a whim I tried making scampi with it, and it was the most monumental shrimp scampi I've ever had. There was something about that wine that just worked in spectacular fashion with the other flavors.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.