Author Topic: Revisiting Outdoor Griddles  (Read 3534 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Revisiting Outdoor Griddles
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=55575.0

I have to thank Mtnbkr once again for introducing the idea of outdoor griddles. I ended up getting mine for Christmas.

The utility through the spring and summer (and soon, fall) has been amazing.

As we have a charcoal grill, as well, I still have the option to cook things like steak on the grill when I want, but most often our grill is now a smoker. (I can do a full rack of ribs- technically 2 half racks- or 6 chicken breasts or similar sized items on the grill-smoker)

The griddle, however, gets used all the time. I cook saturday morning pancakes in about 5 minutes. MUCH faster than on the griddle pans.

I end up cooking most meats for the week on Saturday/Sunday. Stir fry a bunch of chicken breasts, cook up a couple pounds of loose hamburger, grill some sausages, etc...

Makes the evening task of making food a matter of getting the ingredients together and toss in the already cooked meat. Gumbo was the recipient last week, where I had already cooked up the chicken and just had to toss it in. Dropped a lot of time off the cooking.

I'm particularly enjoying the ability to drop 3-5 pounds of hamburger and cooking it up loose (usually with some onions tossed in.) My wife uses it for Lebanese rice, I'll toss it into mac&cheese for the kids, we can turn it into tacos/burritos/nachos, tater tot casserole, etc...

This is in addition to the ease in cooking up onions and peppers (as I plan on doing tonight) and other stir-fry type vegetables.

Fried Rice is quick and easy on this thing. Bacon, eggs, sausage all cook up quickly and in large quantities.  

One other issue- clean-up is faster (for me, at least) than any other means of cooking. I spray water on the hot griddle, scrape it down, and then wipe it with a towel/rag/paper towel. Usually followed by a quick wipe with a bit of oil. Usually 3-5 minutes after I've cooked, it's also cleaned and ready to be covered once it cools.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought