Author Topic: Starbucks Boycott  (Read 2945 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Starbucks Boycott
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Ha ha. I feel bad for the guys who got arrested, but it's simple schadenfreude to watch the left turn on one of their flagships.  =D

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/04/15/an-extra-shot-of-karma-starbucks-gets-boycotted-by-the-angry-frothy-leftist-mob-they-all-but-created/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Starbucks Boycott
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
So the manager will continue to work there?? No repercussions because it wasn't their 'intent' for the arrest to happen?

Well, as we all learned from Hillary's email scandal, no intent = no foul.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
Time out! You call the cops and complain that two people are trespassing, but you didn't expect them to be arrested? Tell me again how you got to be a manager.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
Time out! You call the cops and complain that two people are trespassing, but you didn't expect them to be arrested? Tell me again how you got to be a manager.

While working at bars I called Law Enforcement numerous times to issue trespassing warnings.  the vast majority (I'd estimate mid 90%) of the time no one was arrested.  The cops show up, I point the person out, they tell them to leave, and they do.  You have to have a pretty decent does of entitlement, plus a chip on your shoulder, to sit there and argue the trespass warning with a cop to the point you get arrested.  And that's with drunk folks.

I suspect a coffee shop manager has called plenty of times to get homeless folks, phone charging squatters, and the like to leave and hasn't yet run across an ego big enough to tell the police NO.  So he wasn't expecting an arrest.  The problem is once you call the cops in, it's hard to call them off.

I wonder what the gentlemen were doing that caused the manager to want them to leave?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »

I wonder what the gentlemen were doing that caused the manager to want them to leave?

There could be (likely is) more to the story. On the current reporting, they were there to meet a friend, who did show up after the cuffs were on. I'm not sure why there would be a problem with that, or from the other perspective, why the two guys couldn't have bought their coffee while they waited for their friend.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »
I'm not sure why there would be a problem with that, ...

Egos.

The manager says, in so many words, "respect my authority."  The two men say, in so many words "make us."  The cops say, in so many words, "leave or be arrested."  No one backs down so the cops do what cops do.  None of the three sides had the balls to stand up and say, "This is a mistake, let me fix it by ..."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »
While working at bars I called Law Enforcement numerous times to issue trespassing warnings.  the vast majority (I'd estimate mid 90%) of the time no one was arrested.

This.  Unless they have a previous "and don't come back" trespass warning or a protective order on file, the police will only arrest them if they refuse to leave upon being told to either by or in the presence of the officers.  If you want to add the "and don't come back," they'll be IDd and a fairly simple form filled out, so they can be arrested without further warning if they do return.

Given that it was Philly, I doubt the cops had the time or the inclination to argue as much as they might have in a less busy place; 1-2 orders to move along, then put the cuffs on.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
The story as I have seen it reported goes like this:
Two guys come in and ask to use the bathroom.
Store employee says it is for paying customers only and then asks them to leave.
The guys say no.
Store manager calls the cops.
The cops ask the guys to leave because the manager has said they are no longer welcome.
The guys refuse.
The cops call for the supervisor and ask them again to leave a two more times.
The guys keep refusing.
Cops cuff them and then release them because Starbucks didn’t want to charge them.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 01:41:43 AM »
From TJ Sotomayor: Full Video Of Men Arrested In Starbucks For Being Black!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fBOQCfx6xc&ab_channel=TNNRaw
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:46 AM »
Josh Pray's take: Before we Boycott Starbucks let’s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUJg_hoHIIw&ab_channel=JoshPray
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 01:48:13 AM »
TJ Sotoymaor's thoughts: 2 Black Men Arrested In Philly Starbucks For Being Black But This Brother Has A Different Take!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r3gDwjfC3c&ab_channel=TNNRaw

MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
This weekend I drove past that new Starbucks they built in Ferguson, Missouri. I guess that really helped, didn't it?

(Not to mention it's twice as far from the scene of the shooting, as the Starbucks that was already there, inside a Target store. In a town with an even larger percentage of black residents. But hey, the new one is in the Ferguson city limits, so that means they care.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »
TJ Sotoymaor's thoughts: 2 Black Men Arrested In Philly Starbucks For Being Black But This Brother Has A Different Take!

But they weren't arrested for being black. They were arrested for trespassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHkAXiqfVQ

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »
That you're trying to reframe the conversation using facts means you're nothing but a white privilege racist!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
"Johnson said managers will now receive training on “unconscious bias.”"

From a Philadelphia Inquirer article.

The manager in question has also "left the company" through a "mutual decision."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
But they weren't arrested for being black. They were arrested for trespassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHkAXiqfVQ

This.
Were they singled out for being black by the manager? Maybe. 
But they were arrested for trespass.

I'm not a big fan of the police.  But this one is (maybe) all on the starbucks manager.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »
True, they weren't arrested for "being black" but that is the spin the racial agitators are putting on it.

Watch

through to the END and you will see that he AGREES with you.
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
Y'know, Starbucks has annoyed me plenty in the past, I can't stand the cramped stores, it's all the way across town, I'm tired, and I'm not in the best financial shape to be buying a fancy coffee.

But I'm about to strap my bike shoes back on and ride 3 miles each way for a cup of overpriced foo-foo coffee, just to vicariously piss in the Cheerios of all the people screaming for a boycott.  Here's hoping it works as well as all the times they've boycotted Chik-Fil-A.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:08 PM »
Decent crowd, and everybody's got a cup in front of them. Going into a place of business and paying for something is such a novel concept.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »
Decent crowd, and everybody's got a cup in front of them. Going into a place of business and paying for something is such a novel concept.

Were there any protesters outside?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
While I don't go there often, I've never been to a Starbucks that stopped folks from using the restroom until you buy something.  To the extent that a manager went out of his or her way to stop these guys from going to the restroom, maybe that was a little over the top.  Then again, maybe in that shop they've got more issues with that and have had to establish a policy.  That part of the story smells a little me.

All that said, once the guys refused to leave at the request of the employees, then refused three times to leave when asked nicely by the cops, they earned their bracelets.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
Well of course!  Otherwise, they would call the cops and they would get arrested!

=D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 01:12:20 AM »
Were there any protesters outside?

Well, there was a guy who seemed a little bitchy about the lack of ashtrays on the patio...oh wait, that was me.

Stopping by the shop to mount one of those silly cupholders on the bars delayed me a bit, so it was a little dark for the photo.

But McDonald's recognizes my evil plan.

(I don't know why McD's WiFi times out trying to post to APS.  Works on other SimpleMachines BBs, but this won't actually get posted until the laptop connects somewhere else...and that'll be a while because I'm waiting to see if a certain brunette shows up.  The "buy something, then hang out" trick never fails here, though.)

While I don't go there often, I've never been to a Starbucks that stopped folks from using the restroom until you buy something.  To the extent that a manager went out of his or her way to stop these guys from going to the restroom, maybe that was a little over the top.  Then again, maybe in that shop they've got more issues with that and have had to establish a policy.  That part of the story smells a little me.

Most places won't if you go in and straight to the bathroom; you're in a restaurant (of sorts) so it's reasonable that you might want to wash your hands before handling product.  Apparently, they sat for a while before one headed to the House at Poo Corner.

All that said, once the guys refused to leave at the request of the employees, then refused three times to leave when asked nicely by the cops, they earned their bracelets.

This.  And the ones bitching about the cops can't get it through their heads that it's not the PD's choice, period.  Has nothing to do with the the reason the person in control of the property wants them gone.  I could've had the state trooper that was in the shop removed by PD and/or sheriff for having a dumb looking mustache, but he was paying for just under $700 worth of repairs that I did last week, of which roughly $300 is my labor commission, so I let him stay.  (Now if I had a full week of days like that one, I'd stop wasting time looking for an evening part time job until closer to next winter's slump.)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 04:02:17 AM »
When it rains, it pours. Like United Airlines and any of a number of other companies, once the first complaint hits the airwaves, the spinoffs start rolling in.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/04/16/black-man-videotapes-starbucks-refusal-let-him-use-restroom/521233002/

Save your Starbucks cup for the next time you need to hang out there for awhile.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:21 AM »
Y'know, Starbucks has annoyed me plenty in the past, I can't stand the cramped stores, it's all the way across town, I'm tired, and I'm not in the best financial shape to be buying a fancy coffee.

But I'm about to strap my bike shoes back on and ride 3 miles each way for a cup of overpriced foo-foo coffee, just to vicariously piss in the Cheerios of all the people screaming for a boycott.  Here's hoping it works as well as all the times they've boycotted Chik-Fil-A.

Actually, we're already boycotting Starbucks for their myriad of virtue signalling to the left.

So, I'm going to sit back and drink some not-Starbucks and just smile at the left eating their own.  :rofl: (Ok, maybe more than smile.)

It doesn't matter how much you virtue signal, leftists- ONE mistake. ONE deviation from "wokeness" and your mob will turn on you. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:06:52 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought