Author Topic: Just ordered a new phone...  (Read 2233 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just ordered a new phone...
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
Samsung Galaxy S9 64 gig.

I hate getting rid of the S4 but it's starting to get a bit rachety, and last night I dropped it in Seren's water bowl.

I got it out, disassembled, and dried out really quickly, but I figure that no matter what I missed some water and it's eventually going to cause problems. I'm heading west in a month and I want a reliable phone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Just ordered a new phone...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:14:17 PM »
I really like my S9.

It's also waterproof.  =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
My newish Moto E4 is water resistant.  I think it just has a water-repellent coating on the screen.  I haven't tested it.
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:50:30 PM »
Careful, it might just be different from your S4 and you'll be unable to standit after thirty seconds you'll be sending it back!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
Careful, it might just be different from your S4 and you'll be unable to standit after thirty seconds you'll be sending it back!

[squints as I try to remember that far back in phones]

It's different from the S4.  A lot.

I really like the facial recognition/iris detection unlock, but it sometimes does lock up in the dark.

Still playing with the Bixby AI thing.  It does what I ask it to do ~60% of the time.

Camera is great, although there are a lot of modes.  I mostly let it "auto".  Burst mode is cool.

It comes with "something something Edge", which lets you park apps, contacts, and stuff on a panel that slides in from the right side of the curved screen.  I use it for frequent contacts and the alarm app.  stuff I don't want on the home screen but don't feel like flicking through stuff.

It will tie your app passwords to your fingerprint, so that even apps that don't support biometrics can have biometric logins.

Fingerprint sensor is in a handier spot then the GS7, and seems faster.

There's some more stuff I'm probably forgetting, but the GS9 is a very different set up then I remember the GS4 being.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 08:47:59 PM »
I don't blame you. My S5 is on its last legs. My wife got an 8 last year, and I took her 5 because my tilt/rotation sensor died, now the one in her hand me down is dead too. I can't even imagine dealing with an S4.

Even if Samsung and the carriers aren't playing Apple-style planned obsolescence games, I think apps that update do the same thing effectively. They probably target a certain average processing, graphics, and memory capacity that's an average of the Android market as a whole and eventually you get left behind.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:25:30 PM »
When I went to get my new phone a month ago, that was one that was offered up.

I didn't like it because it was too big, slim and seemed really fragile. The moto force is also a smidge bigger than I'd like, although weirdly also too thin. I went with the force since it had a better rep in terms of being sturdy, water resistant and drop proof.

It's also the first phone I've actually gotten a case for, not so much because I don't trust that it's not as sturdy as the manufacturer claims, but it's so thin I feel like I could snap it into pieces.  =|

I appreciate that one needs a bigger screen on smartphones, but I think a lot of them are getting too big to be functional as a phone. You may as well carry around an actual tablet instead.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 10:27:48 PM »

That was me, and it happened several months ago.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 11:21:24 PM »
Oh yeah, it is different. But I am getting used to it. Still trying to reconfigure all the apps on my home screens whether get a their.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 12:22:59 AM »
Still trying to reconfigure all the apps on my home screens whether get a their.

New dialect of English?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
Pretty much. I think it's still learning my speech patterns. I will say that the voice recognition on this one is a lot better than on the S4.

I'm still struggling with it in some aspects, like when I place apps on my home screen... it throws them onto any one of the three screens it chooses, not just the one I've designated as the home screen. And I've not yet figured out how to move them.

This curved edge feature is WEIRD.

I need to order a case and a screen protector today, as well as charging equipment. Of course, the charging cable for this one has made all of my other charging cables for my S4 obsolete. Sigh.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »
Of course, the charging cable for this one has made all of my other charging cables for my S4 obsolete. Sigh.

Micro USB to USB C adapter. Multipacks available on Amazon for less than ten bucks.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »
Micro USB to USB C adapter. Multipacks available on Amazon for less than ten bucks.

Brad

While that will work, If you can swing new plugs, the USB-C carries more current and the fast charging kicks but.  I actually use wireless charging for mine, which I also really like.  Don't remember if it was backed in on the GS4.

I'm still struggling with it in some aspects, like when I place apps on my home screen... it throws them onto any one of the three screens it chooses, not just the one I've designated as the home screen. And I've not yet figured out how to move them.

Press and hold the app icon until it vibrates and the app will unlock to be moved around on the screen.  Pull all the way to the edge of one home screen (actually a little off the edge) and give it a 2 count and it'll flip to the next home screen and let you put the app there.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Just ordered a new phone...
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »
While that will work, If you can swing new plugs, the USB-C carries more current and the fast charging kicks but.  I actually use wireless charging for mine, which I also really like.  Don't remember if it was backed in on the GS4.

Press and hold the app icon until it vibrates and the app will unlock to be moved around on the screen.  Pull all the way to the edge of one home screen (actually a little off the edge) and give it a 2 count and it'll flip to the next home screen and let you put the app there.
Also if you hover the app icon over another app icon for a few seconds it should allow you to make a folder. Once made you can name it what you like and and add whatever other apps to it you want.

Very useful for grouping similar type apps, such as banking, entertainment, or just apps that you use frequently. I personally find it very handy.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
Don't remember if it was backed in on the GS4.

IIRC wireless charging didn't become a feature until the S6.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 10:37:57 AM »
"Press and hold the app icon until it vibrates and the app will unlock to be moved around on the screen.  Pull all the way to the edge of one home screen (actually a little off the edge) and give it a 2 count and it'll flip to the next home screen and let you put the app there."

Ah! Thanks! That's quite different from the S4, but it works like a charm!

"Micro USB to USB C adapter. Multipacks available on Amazon for less than ten bucks."

Yep, but nope. Most of my cables for the S4 are tenuous. You drop the phone or push it off the nightstand, and sure as God makes little green apples it's going to damage the plug and make it very iffy for charging.

I bought a case/screen protector and a wireless charging pad on Amazon. They came last night.

The more I use it, the more I am grooving to this phone.

Bing, however, MUST die.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
"Also if you hover the app icon over another app icon for a few seconds it should allow you to make a folder."

Yep, that I figured out really quickly. Nice feature, that. I like to keep most of my apps in folders unless I use them constantly.