Author Topic: Woman Partially Sucked Out of Jet When Window Breaks Mid-Flight  (Read 11074 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Woman Partially Sucked Out of Jet When Window Breaks Mid-Flight
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2018, 09:56:10 AM »
The end of 27L is well to the west of 27R, and she parked in the taxiway, almost into the ramp to/from the deicing pad. 27R should have been clear, but they shut down the airport for three hours. Anybody know why they couldn't have kept flying on 27R?

Maybe PHL didn't want departing aircraft to fly over the disable aircraft and emergency responders. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
I reckon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2018, 11:58:06 AM »
Another issue is resources.   Depending on the resources being used to handle an emergency, there might not be enough available for subsequent emergencies. This was an issue more than once when I was in the Marines, during exercises having more than one emergency in progress and tapping the ARFF capabilities out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »
Another issue is resources.   Depending on the resources being used to handle an emergency, there might not be enough available for subsequent emergencies. This was an issue more than once when I was in the Marines, during exercises having more than one emergency in progress and tapping the ARFF capabilities out.

True. From the satellite images it appears the on-site fire department facility is fairly small. That said, the recordings of radio traffic indicated that the tower initially told other planes to shut down (presumably wherever they sat) and that there would be a 15 minute hold. That eventually became something like three hours. They had any small fire(s) contained long before that, and people were off the plane probably within the first ten or fifteen minutes. They certainly could have returned all the fire trucks (or maybe all but one) to the station and let the airport start operating again. Maybe take-offs on 27L and landings on 27R?

I'm sure someone made a decision to "err on the side of safety," but it is puzzling.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
True. From the satellite images it appears the on-site fire department facility is fairly small. That said, the recordings of radio traffic indicated that the tower initially told other planes to shut down (presumably wherever they sat) and that there would be a 15 minute hold. That eventually became something like three hours. They had any small fire(s) contained long before that, and people were off the plane probably within the first ten or fifteen minutes. They certainly could have returned all the fire trucks (or maybe all but one) to the station and let the airport start operating again. Maybe take-offs on 27L and landings on 27R?

I'm sure someone made a decision to "err on the side of safety," but it is puzzling.

That long of a shut down is definitely the doing of the airport authority.  Who ever owns and manages the runway is the ultimate authority for closing it.  We can shut down surfaces temporarily because of incidents but the airport quickly makes the determination if it's an actual closure or not.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
Here is another piece to the puzzle:  https://www.journal-news.com/business/faa-likely-require-inspections-cfm-engines/nPFxrsBjHGpF2BHQMEpubO/?ecmp=journalnews_social_facebook_2014_sfp

The Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday evening it will require inspections of aircraft engines made by a Butler County company involved in the emergency that killed at least one passenger on Southwest Flight 1380.

"At least one passenger?"  OK, in the strictest sense, "exactly one" does fall within the bounds of "at least one," but WTF?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »
Maybe they expect more to suscumb.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2018, 01:12:23 PM »
Maybe they expect more to suscumb.

Did I miss something?  Aside from Riordan, I thought the worst any passengers had was a few minor bruises and scrapes.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
None of them have started talking yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
Here is another piece to the puzzle:  https://www.journal-news.com/business/faa-likely-require-inspections-cfm-engines/nPFxrsBjHGpF2BHQMEpubO/?ecmp=journalnews_social_facebook_2014_sfp

Great.

“I’m very concerned about this particular event,” NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt said at a press briefing Wednesday.

Sumwalt also said the widely used CFM engine has a solid safety record and it was too early to determine if the accident pointed to a broader hazard for travelers, the Journal reported.

Whatever happened to the old "Out of an abundance of caution" schtick they use when going after lawful gun owners when some nutcase shoots up a school? This is the second explosion of this type of engine, on this type of aircraft, operated by this particular airline, within two years. They got lucky with the first one. This time one person died. How many deaths will be necessary before we progress to recognizing a hazard?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2018, 09:25:36 PM »
Other than the need to get folks down to a better breathing altitude RFN, a window-sized hole shouldn't make a lot of difference to the pilot.  Losing an engine is pretty heavily covered in multi-engine training, and I'd assume each stage of training thereafter.  Plus, I suspect a 737 would have to be on the verge of coming apart at every seam before it could get as sporty as a F-18 would be in normal flight.

Wasn't there one of these passenger jets that had a huge section of it's roof rip off and still remain flying?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2018, 09:27:37 PM »
Great.

Whatever happened to the old "Out of an abundance of caution" schtick they use when going after lawful gun owners when some nutcase shoots up a school? This is the second explosion of this type of engine, on this type of aircraft, operated by this particular airline, within two years. They got lucky with the first one. This time one person died. How many deaths will be necessary before we progress to recognizing a hazard?

It's a matter of scale. The amount of successful, problem free hours on this engine is staggering, both with and without considering a single airline.
And there WILL be an inspection requirement, so it's not like theyre doing nothing. Until a metallurgical analysis indicates why the thing failed, there's no benefit to pulling them all or stopping their flights. So, if the ultrasonic inspections of the rest of the fleet reveal a systemic problem, that'll allow them to narrow it down even more. Potentially to the foundry that made the metal.

They don't know what happened yet. It could have been a piece of loose sheet metal patching on something else that got sucked into it. there's a million probable causes.

There's so much documentation on these engines , the origin of every piece is known. With only two engines failing, they have to narrow it down more before they'll be able to say "all engines from XYZ factory with blades produced between XYZ and XYZ, with aluminum from ABC Corporation, need new fans asap"

They're

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
Wasn't there one of these passenger jets that had a huge section of it's roof rip off and still remain flying?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »

Aloha Airlines. I believe that was also a 737, but a much earlier model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2018, 12:27:42 AM »
Sunroof!
What a concept!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »
I also remember back in the late 80's early 90's there were a few 737-200 type that lost a motor, not just quit working but falling completely off of the aircraft. That would raise the pucker factor a bit. ;)

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2018, 12:53:11 AM »
Those planes, with the right pilot, can fly with an amazing amount of damage.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2018, 01:25:57 AM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2018, 06:00:34 AM »
Thanks, Hawkmoon.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=57219.msg1159345#msg1159345

Gotcha by three minutes.

I noticed that as soon as I hit "post." You only beat me because I looked up a photo.  :laugh:

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
Sunroof!
What a concept!

Though the wind is a biotch.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:20 PM »
Though the wind is a biotch.

But it's worth it for that view!  :facepalm:
MOLON LABE!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2018, 01:24:02 PM »
I also remember back in the late 80's early 90's there were a few 737-200 type that lost a motor, not just quit working but falling completely off of the aircraft. That would raise the pucker factor a bit. ;)

bob
Could get exciting for people on the ground as well.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• friend
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/05/us/jet-lands-after-an-engine-drops-off.html

Ain't that a pisser?

I recall seeing a newspaper pic of an engine plus parts sitting on the ground still smoking but I don't remember where, and I wanted to beat Hawkmoon on this post.
:rofl: :neener:

Interesting sidelights I got from somewhere or other...

"The engines on the 727 are designed to break away from the plane under extreme stress so the vibration will not damage the airplane, said Craig Martin, a Boeing spokesman. The engine is designed to separate cleanly, without damaging the airplane."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/elderly-woman-coins-jet-engine-chinese-good-luck-shanghai-guangzhou-china-southern-airlines-a7810721.html

"A flight in China was delayed for five hours after an elderly passenger threw coins into the aircraft’s engine for good luck.

The 80-year-old passenger, surnamed Qiu, was boarding the China Southern Airlines flight from Shanghai to Guangzhou with her family when she stopped to make the ‘blessings’.

Then she threw nine coins at the aircraft’s engine turbine. Concerned fellow passengers alerted airline staff."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:50:38 PM by 230RN »

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
Then she threw nine coins at the aircraft’s engine turbine. Concerned fellow passengers alerted airline staff."

That's not change I can believe in.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.