Author Topic: Outing Club no longer allowed to visit the great outdoors.  (Read 1536 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Outing Club no longer allowed to visit the great outdoors.
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:24:38 PM »
They would be out of cell phone range you see.

The student "Outing Club," which has gone backpacking, kayaking, and hiking in state parks over the course of its 98-year-existence, will no longer be allowed to host outdoor events after administrators conducted a risk assessment, according to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

A key issue for administrators was that the Outing Club frequently visit locations with poor cell phone coverage.

These safety idiots are everywhere and it's all tied to progressivism. The whole idea is that people cannot make their own choices and need experts to shepherd them through life.   

This is why, despite my biases, I'm not interested in pushing libertarianism right now and instead want to get the conservative/right back to actually fighting the menace that is leftism. The libertarians just don't, and may never, have the numbers to beat the left. But the right does, only it can't be bothered just now.  May after a nap and some juice from the sippy cup.

Still for however insulting I am of them the right has more short to medium term political upside and can bring more resources to the fight than can libertarians. 

That was a bit of a rant, I do feel a bit better. I don't normally do that but there is something about this particular story that set me off.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Outing Club no longer allowed to visit the great outdoors.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:59:59 PM »
They would be out of cell phone range you see.

These safety idiots are everywhere and it's all tied to progressivism. The whole idea is that people cannot make their own choices and need experts to shepherd them through life.  

This is why, despite my biases, I'm not interested in pushing libertarianism right now and instead want to get the conservative/right back to actually fighting the menace that is leftism. The libertarians just don't, and may never, have the numbers to beat the left. But the right does, only it can't be bothered just now.  May after a nap and some juice from the sippy cup.

Still for however insulting I am of them the right has more short to medium term political upside and can bring more resources to the fight than can libertarians.  

That was a bit of a rant, I do feel a bit better. I don't normally do that but there is something about this particular story that set me off.

A few years ago IBM (there, I said it) cancelled the employees' target pistol club because it was dangerous.  The club was IIRC over 40 years old and had *never* had an accident; it was the only IBM Club event with a perfect record.  It was demonstrably safer than the chess club.

(The club kept going without company sponsorship; we joined-up with the facility where we were meeting.)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
This cannot be real.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:52:34 PM »
I thought being out of cell coverage was a benefit of backpacking, not a drawback.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »
The lunatics are in fact, running the asylum.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 01:35:50 AM »
I thought being out of cell coverage was a benefit of backpacking, not a drawback.

Exactly; just like running my phone battery dead with Strava on a long ride.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
So, have someone in the group carry a Garmin InReach.  Or a SPOT.  Maybe someone who knows smoke signals. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »
http://sites.psu.edu/outingclub/

This is the club's site, with the announcement that the university is shutting it down.  Reading this announcement, it appears to me that the lawyers are to blame.  Looks like someone saw the activities (canoeing, hiking, etc.) and decided that the liability to the school was too great, and shut it down.  The lack of cell phone coverage may have been something considered when they made the decision, but this looks very much like a risk management lawyer looked at the risks of injury to the members, and decided that risk and the resulting expense of being sued, and recommended to the university to reduce that risk by shutting the club down. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »

This is the club's site, with the announcement that the university is shutting it down.  Reading this announcement, it appears to me that the lawyers are to blame.  Looks like someone saw the activities (canoeing, hiking, etc.) and decided that the liability to the school was too great, and shut it down.  The lack of cell phone coverage may have been something considered when they made the decision, but this looks very much like a risk management lawyer looked at the risks of injury to the members, and decided that risk and the resulting expense of being sued, and recommended to the university to reduce that risk by shutting the club down. 

As with all of the nerfing of today's society, the lawyers are at the root. (Somehow I typed "rot" at first, and that's appropriate, too.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »

I would think that the risk of a lawsuit inducing event has been proven to be higher with Penn State's Football Program than their Outing Club.  Yet one has been closed, and the other has not.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »
The lunatics are in fact, running the asylum.

Lunatics??  Try *expletive deleted*wits.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »

I have not looked into Pennsylvania law, but this risk manager's first thought is to wonder about having all participants sign an activity liability waiver and thus the club can continue.  However, there are many states in which such waivers are not worth the paper they are printed on and they do not stand up in court.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »
Looks like someone saw the activities (canoeing, hiking, etc.) and decided that the liability to the school was too great, and shut it down.

I'd really like to see a comparison between injuries suffered in Outing Club vs injuries suffered in football, basketball, etc.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »
Just being near Jerry Sandusky likely caused more injuries than the Outing Club ever suffered.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »
I would think that the risk of a lawsuit inducing event has been proven to be higher with Penn State's Football Program than their Outing Club.  Yet one has been closed, and the other has not.

Wanna bet which one brings in millions of dollars in revenue and donations to the University?

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 05:03:54 PM »
Maybe the Outing Club will get itself a new charter - just so they don't have to change their name, they can try something along the lines of shining a light on closet homosexuals . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »
Maybe the Outing Club will get itself a new charter - just so they don't have to change their name, they can try something along the lines of shining a light on closet homosexuals . . .

They could go to gun stores and churches, to mingle with Trump supporters. All of the adventure and danger (they could get micro-aggressed!!), but they can stay within cell range.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:17 PM »
And now it sounds like UT is trying to one-up Penn State on the stupidity scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANDM0hO-qc

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 08:41:01 PM »
And now it sounds like UT is trying to one-up Penn State on the stupidity scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANDM0hO-qc

Any Aggie could have told you UT is a bunch of pussies.
"It's good, though..."