Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.  (Read 5355 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »
Dick’s Sporting Goods, which announced in February it would no longer sell rifles to anyone under the age of 21, hired three Beltway lobbyists to lobby Congress for gun control, according to federal records reviewed by The Federalist.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/05/02/dicks-sporting-goods-hired-four-democrat-gun-control-lobbyists-april-records-show/

Wow. I'm sorry I ever spent a dime there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »
Guys, seriously, you've convinced us your name is accurate.

You can stop anytime.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
Wow. I never shopped there much, but am also sorry I gave them any of my money. I hope their stock plunges, and at this point, if down the road they reverse with a "sorry, we made a mistake", well, too late. You know the old saying - "Fool me once..."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
Wow. I never shopped there much, but am also sorry I gave them any of my money. I hope their stock plunges, and at this point, if down the road they reverse with a "sorry, we made a mistake", well, too late. You know the old saying - "Fool me once..."
Yep.

I have my choice of Walmart, a local place, academy, dicks, and soon a sportsman's Warehouse. All clustered less then five minutes from each other. And that assuming traffic is bad and I catch at least one red light, otherwise five minutes is probably a stretch.

I had occasionally gone into Dicks as they carried a couple fishing items that no one else stocked locally. Everything else, one of the others carried so I bought them elsewhere. And the few products I did stop in for occasionally I can easily enough order online.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
May they go out of business sooner rather than later.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Re: Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »

I have my choice of Walmart, a local place, academy, dicks, and soon a sportsman's Warehouse. All clustered less then five minutes from each other.

We had a Sportsman's Warehouse open here (again!) last December, and this time their location is just a couple of blocks from Dick's. I need to start paying attention on if their parking lot begins to fill up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 03:01:10 PM »
Just remember they own Feild and Steam too. We no longer darken the door of either establishment.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
About 15 years ago I went to Dick's because they had a rifle I wanted on sale. I couldn't get any service from the lazy staff so I drove 2 miles down the road and bought it. I've never been back since that day. Too many other choices out there.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 04:37:04 PM »
The article didn't make clear that the lobbyists Dick's hired were actually hired to lobby for more gun control.  All it says is "for lobbying related to gun control."  Is that pro-gun control or anti-?  Not enough info to be sure.  Is there another source?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
The article didn't make clear that the lobbyists Dick's hired were actually hired to lobby for more gun control.  All it says is "for lobbying related to gun control."  Is that pro-gun control or anti-?  Not enough info to be sure.  Is there another source?

Fly320s, I think with this current action and what is cited here: http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/28/news/companies/dicks-sporting-goods-wall-street/index.html

Quote from: From Above Link
Dick's CEO Edward Stack said on CNN's "New Day" that the company was moved by the Parkland students' pleas for gun control.

"We concluded if these kids are brave enough to organize and do what they're doing, we should be brave enough to take this stand," Stack said.

I think we can draw a good conclusion, though I maybe wrong.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 08:15:23 AM »
Fly320s, I think with this current action and what is cited here: http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/28/news/companies/dicks-sporting-goods-wall-street/index.html

I think we can draw a good conclusion, though I maybe wrong.

I agree with you that Dick's probably is lobbying for more gun control laws, or at least the kind of gun control laws that will benefit Dick's in some way.  I'm just a bit wary of completely condemning a company before we know they are actually guilty.

The whole episode with Yeti coolers comes to mind.  Did they tell the NRA to pound sand?  Or did they just let a contract expire?  We are still trying to sort out exactly what Yeti is up to.

As for Dick's, I stopped shopping there many years ago, long before they went full-retard, so this news about Dick's lobbying for gun control doesn't change my opinion of them at all.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »
Considering what the average Dick's gun counter looks like, I bet it's a small part of their business.  They focus on team sports and golf.
I don't see any gun laws affecting their bottom line too much. 
With that said:
Considering statements made by them after Parkland, the conclusions jump themselves.  In the words of their CEO
"We have heard you. The nation has heard you. We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens. But we have to help solve the problem that's in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that's taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America - our kids. Following all of the rules and laws, we sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November of 2017. It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting. But it could have been."
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »
Springfield just posted this on FB:

Springfield Armory® Severs Ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods

Springfield Armory announces its decision in response to Dick’s Sporting Goods’ attempts to deny Second Amendment freedoms

GENESEO, IL, (05/03/18) – Springfield Armory is severing ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, in response to their hiring a group for anti-Second Amendment lobbying.

This latest action follows Dick’s Sporting Goods’ decision to remove and destroy all modern sporting rifles (MSR) from their inventory. In addition, they have denied Second Amendment rights to Americans under the age of 21. We at Springfield Armory believe that all law abiding American citizens of adult age are guaranteed this sacred right under our Constitution.

It is clear where Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, stand on the Second Amendment, and we want to be clear about our message in response. Their position runs counter to what we stand for as a company. At Springfield Armory, we believe in the rights and principles fought for and secured by American patriots and our founding forefathers, without question. We will not accept Dick’s Sporting Goods’ continued attempts to deny Second Amendment freedoms to our fellow Americans.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 08:48:07 PM »
Springfield just posted this on FB:
So now Springfield thinks that people should cut ties with people whose lobbyists push anti-gun garbage?
 :lol:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 10:21:46 PM »
So now Springfield thinks that people should cut ties with people whose lobbyists push anti-gun garbage?

You noticed that, too, eh?

Pot, meet kettle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »

I had similar thoughts, but it's The Federalist. It seemed to me The Federalist knows how these things work, and is a reliable source. If it looks like anti-gun lobbying to them, I'll heed what they say. And wouldn't a pro-gun lobbying effort use terms like gun rights or constitutional rights, instead of "gun control"?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 07:17:35 AM »

I had similar thoughts, but it's The Federalist. It seemed to me The Federalist knows how these things work, and is a reliable source. If it looks like anti-gun lobbying to them, I'll heed what they say. And wouldn't a pro-gun lobbying effort use terms like gun rights or constitutional rights, instead of "gun control"?

Yes.  There is too much smoke for there not to be a fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »
Reminds me of when I was in law school, and a lobbyist talked to our Legislation class.  Talked about how he went to a junior state legislator one, and convinced the legislator to introduce a bill to prohibit radar and laser detectors.  Lobbyist then went to the different manufacturers of the devices and offered his services, for a fee, to lobby against the bill.  Said that little game bought him a Porsce and a Rolex.  As bad as lawyers may be, lobbyists are worse.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »
Dick's has been ousted from the NSSF.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »
Dick's has been ousted from the NSSF.

Good.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »

*shrug* Springfield knows they screwed their pooch on that one and there guns are nice enough that I'm willing to let them come crawling back into the fold should they continue to keep their noses clean.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 09:18:41 PM »
I’m apparently the only one who doesn’t know what Springfield did.  Can someone fill me in?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 11:18:56 PM »
I don't remember the details either but I remember the Zumboeing they got.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?