Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.  (Read 5353 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 01:57:28 AM »
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/05/john-boch/springfield-armory-rock-river-arms-made-campaign-contributions-to-anti-gun-rights-politicians/

I think Springfield and Rock River more than "funded" the IFMA. I think they were instrumental in creating it. The real flap wasn't about IFMA contributing to anti-gun politicians. Many lobbyists donate to both sides just to keep the doors open. The issue that brought all this IFMA stuff to light was that IFMA's lobbyist, on behalf of Springfield and Rock River, was working behind the scenes to promote passage of an anti-gun bill ... but with an exception made for Springfield and Rock River.

When caught with their fingers in the cookie jar, both companies adopted a plausible denial strategy and claimed that, "Golly, we certainly didn't know he did thaaaaaat."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
Effective immediately, O.F. Mossberg & Sons will not accept any future orders from Dick’s Sporting Goods or Field & Stream, and is in the process of evaluating current contractual agreements.

“It has come to our attention that Dick’s Sporting Goods recently hired lobbyists on Capitol Hill to promote additional gun control.” said Iver Mossberg, Chief Executive Officer of O.F. Mossberg & Sons. “Make no mistake, Mossberg is a staunch supporter of the U.S. Constitution and our Second Amendment rights, and we fully disagree with Dick’s Sporting Goods’ recent anti-Second Amendment actions.”

http://resources.mossberg.com/mossberg-terminates-relationship-with-dicks-sporting-goods?ecid=ACsprvsDlnCeYuskPyKDfzLdL9IXnZdQr7Q00oYRRn_jlqAmtaclaC6IPY6Cyk-_x9-_-3ZShOTl&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=62795014&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_RQGVoOihqDu4cw1MgiwdjRhIZpnZ8pRG1ZsmAATqapkCjoAVWrn_6QBpEe3VFOjcoKIqPorD0hBKQL-OFIpAgcZrQVg&_hsmi=62795014
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »
Recently read that Mossberg is now refusing to sell firearms to Dick's.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 09:30:18 PM »
Dad saw something on Youtube that Hornady was also jumping the Dick's ship, but I can't find anything in their press releases.

I hope they do it. They're the kind of company that would.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 10:13:18 PM »
Looks like all the big guns are leaving Dick's in the dirt.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
These developments give me happy warm fuzzies.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 12:31:21 AM »
Looking forward to a Dick's-less world.
                         - Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 12:53:08 AM »
That's great and all, but I don't think guns are a big part of the Dicks Sporting Goods business strategy.  If Nike or UnderArmour or someone decided to cut ties then they might feel that pain.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 04:08:48 AM »
That's great and all, but I don't think guns are a big part of the Dicks Sporting Goods business strategy.  If Nike or UnderArmour or someone decided to cut ties then they might feel that pain.

Pretty sure Under Armour has shown that they would support Dicks.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
Dad saw something on Youtube that Hornady was also jumping the Dick's ship, but I can't find anything in their press releases.

I hope they do it. They're the kind of company that would.

Hornady Ammo pulled the plug on official relationships with New York state. Wouldn't surprise me if they jumped on the Dick's Sporting Goods bandwagon, though.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
Pretty sure Under Armour has shown that they would support Dicks.
Only when properly fitted.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
                         - Barack Obama

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
A chain sold Hi-Points?

Dick's could stop selling all firearms and firearms accessories and ammo and probably survive as a concern.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Dick's Sporting Goods lobbying for gun control.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »
A chain sold Hi-Points?

Dick's could stop selling all firearms and firearms accessories and ammo and probably survive as a concern.
Sadly you're right. Guns and accessories aren't their biggest sellers, though they do seem to do a decent bit in hunting accessories seasonally.

But, if they're going to be dicks about it, I'd rather they really what they sow and the I dustry at large cuts ties with them and they don't make a dime from something they apparently despise.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 06:54:08 PM »
Vista Outdoors should pull out of Dick's. That would take Camelbak and a host of other non-gun stuff away.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
Looking forward to a Dick's-less world.

And how can they even compensate when nobody will sell them guns?   ???
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
And how can they even compensate when nobody will sell them guns?   ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0D3C6oxEk
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
Well, Dick's hasn't taken a hit. Their stock earnings numbers were out this morning and they are up 19% for the reporting quarter. It could be that their political stance won't hurt their numbers until next quarter, but I'm sure the progressives will be giddy over this.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
SA and Rock River hired a more or less Democrat lobbyist so they should get access to illinois state level politicians (I don't have too much issue with that part).  They got caught setting up a carve out in a new state gun law that exempted them.  They both claim the lobbyist did it.  Most people think they knew about it or they certainly should have.  

IMO, our goal is to make sure the members of our industry behave and don't think they can sell us down the river (or anything going in that direction) without consequences.  I am not one to permanently ban a company.  If they behave and learn their lesson, I have no issue going back to them.  Dick's seems to have a history of pandering to anti-gunners. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
Are Field and Stream stores separated from Dick's Sporting Goods in some areas?  The only locations I see around Houston, they are just one big store with a Dick's sign on one the right and a Field & Stream sign on the left.  The one time I visited, all the guns were on the Field & Stream side.  In this area, I think they have only been around for a few years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
Are Field and Stream stores separated from Dick's Sporting Goods in some areas?  The only locations I see around Houston, they are just one big store with a Dick's sign on one the right and a Field & Stream sign on the left.  The one time I visited, all the guns were on the Field & Stream side.  In this area, I think they have only been around for a few years.

Yes, there are stand alone Field & Stream stores.  I know of 2 in my area, Northern Kentucky and south of Dayton Ohio.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
Well, Dick's hasn't taken a hit. Their stock earnings numbers were out this morning and they are up 19% for the reporting quarter. It could be that their political stance won't hurt their numbers until next quarter, but I'm sure the progressives will be giddy over this.

From an article I read that is there projected profit per share while actual first-quarter same-store sales fell .9 percent and this was the third straight decline. For all we know this is Dick’s claiming profits that may never come.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »
A year ago they were trading at just over $38. A month ago they were at $35. Today they closed at $30.48. Stock price dropped sharply last August but was slowly rising right up to the AR fiasco. It's been in decline since. Their stock earnings may be up but their company value is steadily dropping.

That's usually not the recipe for increasing dividends. I wonder if they bulked up dividends with cash reserves to give the appearance of company health.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
A year ago they were trading at just over $38. A month ago they were at $35. Today they closed at $30.48. Stock price dropped sharply last August but was slowly rising right up to the AR fiasco. It's been in decline since. Their stock earnings may be up but their company value is steadily dropping.

That's usually not the recipe for increasing dividends. I wonder if they bulked up dividends with cash reserves to give the appearance of company health.

Brad

That or I wonder if they are using destroyed inventory as future write offs on taxes to project extra profits per share? Would work for this year, but not actually a sign of healthy growth.