Author Topic: Pluto is a Planet  (Read 1822 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pluto is a Planet
« on: May 12, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
Take that Neil DeGrasse *expletive deleted*bag! Hahahahaha!

Because of all the exoplanets being discovered, it looks like "planet" may be redefined (again), bringing Pluto back into the fold. It was interesting to read that the redefinition that kicked Pluto out was hastily drawn up by only 4% of the Astronomers at that particular IAU meeting, apparently because they all wanted to go home.  :laugh:

Anyway, (hopefully) welcome back Pluto! I was on your side the whole time!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/07/yes-pluto-is-a-planet/?noredirect=on
https://www.space.com/40550-pluto-planet-debate-flares-up-again.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Pluto is a Planet
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 10:59:54 PM »
From what I heard, there are other objects they have found that are bigger than Pluto.  How many "planets" do we have? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »
From what I heard, there are other objects they have found that are bigger than Pluto.  How many "planets" do we have? 

57...... oh wait... that's states!!!

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »

If Pluto is back to being a planet (I never acknowledged that it wasn't), then what about Transpluto? Sedna? Chiron? Eris, Haumea, Makemake, Ceres?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
If Pluto is back to being a planet (I never acknowledged that it wasn't), then what about Transpluto? Sedna? Chiron? Eris, Haumea, Makemake, Ceres?

I don't care about all those, I want to know where Planet X is so we can get Godzilla and Monster Zero to fight!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »

I think it's imprtant to recognize that the way [some]astronomers refer to these planets is hurtful. They call them "dwarf planets." I thought society had long ago recognized that calling people "dwarfs" is demeaning, insulting, and hurtful, and that the more appropriate terminology is "little people." So those who refer to these planets as "dwarfs" are just being racist, and should be shunned.

If they aren't full-fledged planets, then they're "little planets."

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »
in the end, it's all semantics.  Ceres and Pluto continue to swing around the Sun. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »

Quaor and Sedena are roughly the same size as Pluto, and there could be hundreds, maybe thousands of similar size objects out in the Kupier Belt and Oort Cloud, some bigger, some smaller. Some of  these newly discovered Plutonians have moons like Pluto does too.  Besides the other criteria for "planet-ness" of orbit circularity, clearing its orbit of competing bodies, being in mostly the same plane of the ecliptic, it was the the probability of many icy dwarves which did the most to demote Pluto.

Because if Pluto is a "planet" then our Solar System could conceivably have a thousand "planets".

Then there is the issue that there is likely a "planet 9" out there, anywhere from Earth-sized to Neptune-sized, based on the gravitational disturbance of the Plutonians and comets we've detected.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »

Then there is the issue that there is likely a "planet 9" out there, anywhere from Earth-sized to Neptune-sized, based on the gravitational disturbance of the Plutonians and comets we've detected.

That's the one that is sometimes referred to as Transpluto.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Pluto is a Planet
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
That's the one that is sometimes referred to as Transpluto.
Ah. So planet Jenner?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »
Pluto, a PLANET??!!  Not any more!!! [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 02:45:41 PM »
Pluto, a PLANET??!!  Not any more!!! [tinfoil]
Great, now we have more little Plutonians out there and Iran will have an easier time making nukes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 08:47:25 PM »
Simple:  Anything with less than the mass or diameter of Pluto is not a planet.  Anything with a mass or diameter equal to or greater than Pluto is a planet.

Terry, 230RN

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 01:58:43 AM »
Great, now we have more little Plutonians out there and Iran will have an easier time making nukes. 

Don't worry about that. Planned Plutohood will take care of it.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 03:35:25 PM »
Don't worry about that. Planned Plutohood will take care of it.
:laugh:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »
Pluto may or may not be a planet but Uranus is a gas giant.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?