Author Topic: Carbon monoxide  (Read 779 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Carbon monoxide
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:19:20 PM »
Reading an article about carbon monoxide dangers from people leaving keyless cars on without realizing it. In it was a part about this older man who died form it when his house was filled up to 30 times the deadly level and it was describing some of the other effects it had.

The gas level in Fred Schaub’s home was at least 30 times the level that humans can tolerate. His body was found in his bed, with a rash on his head and chest.

“The plants inside the house lost their leaves, and Pepsi cans in the garage exploded because of the carbon monoxide,” said Doug Schaub, his son.

I'm really curious about the part about Pepsi cans exploding. Why would they do that?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Carbon monoxide
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:32:19 PM »
One of the company cars in our "pool" is a Prius. Myself and another tech were getting into our other car in the garage when we noticed the Prius was running. We guessed it had been running at least since the afternoon of the day before.
Entirely possible I was the one that did it.
oops.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:27:45 AM »
Interesting.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:26:17 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:58:57 AM »
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-does-carbon-monoxide-cause-soda-cans-to-explode.947289/

If they don't know I sure as hell don't know!!! ;)

bob

Interesting. There is a link to a picture of them there. Looks like some only bulged without popping the top with a few that seem unaffected. I wonder if it is actually heat as it looks like the ones that might be closer to the car are the ones with the popped tops. Also from reading that forum it looks like the original article had removed the part about the cans.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:48:16 AM »
Yes, my guess is that it was the heat.

I can't think of any reason that the contents of the cans would be affected by the CO through the aluminum, and CO has pretty low reactivity so it wouldn't have done anything to the aluminum.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:34:53 AM »
So...we have keyless ignition systems that have killed more than two dozen people.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/13/news/keyless-car-deaths-carbon-monoxide-new-york-times/index.html

We have redesigned gear shifters that kill people.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-problem-with-jeeps-recalled-gear-shifter-1782364420

And we have people driving around with their taillights off in the dark.
http://www.advanceddrivers.com/2017/12/04/no-back-lights-at-night-blame-daytime-running-lights-drl/

This is why I prefer older cars that do what I tell them to do.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 09:02:26 AM »
I leave my headlights on 24x7x365.

I get VERY confused when I take it in for service and they turn the headlights off, and I'm trying to figure out why my headlights aren't lighting up the road as it's getting darker and darker...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
So...we have keyless ignition systems that have killed more than two dozen people.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/13/news/keyless-car-deaths-carbon-monoxide-new-york-times/index.html

Hmmmm.  My 2017 Camry has the "keyless"  system.   It isn't really keyless,  there's a electronic fob that's required.  It was a bit odd for me to get used to, but I have never forgotten to turn off the engine upon leaving the car. It's as natural as turning a key and removing it. 
Atleast it is for me ... ... ...
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »
Don't they have timers that shut off the engine if the key fob isn't in the car anymore?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge