Author Topic: Shooting a bad guy goes viral!  (Read 3724 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Shooting a bad guy goes viral!
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »
Anyone seen this video all over the net besides me?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/brazil-mothers-day-robbery/

Summary: Man in Brazil approaches group of women and children, produces a handgun in what apparently was a robbery attempt.  One of the mothers is a military police officer.  She very discretely draws her own handgun, and when Mr. Robber isn't watching her, she leans in and shoots him in the chest from maybe a foot away, then backs to take cover behind a vehicle.

Two things:  First, looks to me like her actions through the whole thing should be studied as a "how to deal with an armed robber."  Her shot was a guaranteed hot, and a pretty solid way to minimize risk to bystanders.  Her tactics are solid. She makes the shot, backs to cover, maintains sights on the bad guy, separates him from his weapon, and maintains control over the bad guy the whole time.  Looking at his leg makes me think her shot caused some significant nerve damage.  Bad guy died.  Oh well.  Any other observations on the shooting and tactics?

Second, this video is all over social media, with a lot of people saying this is in America, an armed citizen, and reason why RKBA is important.  While this doesn't appear to be accurate, I don't think I mind to much.  Location may be wrong, but the message is right.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Shooting a bad guy goes viral!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »
Happy Mother's day. M***** F*****.

Don't mess with Mama Bear when she's minding her cubs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:26:43 PM »
Bad guy died.

I do so love a story with a happy ending.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:03:33 AM »
Story is worthless without quote from deceased dindu's mom.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »
"Ele era um bom menino, voltando para a escola e conseguindo sua vida juntos."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
"Ele era um bom menino, voltando para a escola e conseguindo sua vida juntos."

Fortunately most Brazilians tend to be more pragmatic and even though they've been relegated to pretty much permanent victim status by draconian gun laws, they tend to ignore BS like that... :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »
Only criticism I saw was a warning that you might want to keep your distance from a bad guy.  You don't want to turn what was a gun fight into a wrestling match.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »
What is amusing is on some of the gun web sites they are all arguing about her tactics, she did this wrong, she did that wrong, shoulda, woulda coulda.  

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »
What is amusing is on some of the gun web sites they are all arguing about her tactics, she did this wrong, she did that wrong, shoulda, woulda coulda.  

Hrm.... Bad guy is dead, no one else injured....

I'd say her tactics were spot on.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 05:41:03 PM »
Excellent work, lady! =) 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »

She drew from concealment, shot the bad guy (I've read 1-3 shots), backed to cover, separated the bad guy from his weapon while keeping him covered, then maintained control.  No bystanders hit.  Kind of hard to fault her.  Well, she did fail to look back and forth from left to right as fast as she could to look for additional assailants. ;/
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
There seems to be a few videos like this coming from over there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »
She drew from concealment, shot the bad guy (I've read 1-3 shots), backed to cover, separated the bad guy from his weapon while keeping him covered, then maintained control.  No bystanders hit.  Kind of hard to fault her.  Well, she did fail to look back and forth from left to right as fast as she could to look for additional assailants. ;/

Exactly! Damn square range habits gonna get her killed!!!! Also deduct points for no tactically hasty reholster.
AKA Navy Joe   

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »
Did she at least wait for a lull to reload?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »
Did she shoot the bad guy again over the hood of the car once he was down but not out? (I noticed the driver of the car left as soon as he was able.)

As I was watching this I thought of a line from an old TV commercial . . . "Is it true blondes have more fun?"

OK not fun . . . but her "matter of fact" demeanor puts to rest the sexist nonsense coming from (mostly) Democrats who assert that women don't have the right temperament to defend themselves with a gun.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 11:48:51 PM »
So Wayne LaPierre was wrong about "only a good guy with a gun."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
Did she shoot the bad guy again over the hood of the car once he was down but not out? (I noticed the driver of the car left as soon as he was able.)

As I was watching this I thought of a line from an old TV commercial . . . "Is it true blondes have more fun?"

OK not fun . . . but her "matter of fact" demeanor puts to rest the sexist nonsense coming from (mostly) Democrats who assert that women don't have the right temperament to defend themselves with a gun.
I thought she shot a couple time right away, but was just covering him at that point.  It looked like he reacted and rolled over, but I didn't think she shot him. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
Looking back, I was okay with everything up to the point of standing next to the guy with her foot on him.  I think as a non-LEO defending yourself, that would not be looked on well by jurors or cops when they show up.  

And I say that no matter how cool the selfie picture would be.    =)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 07:57:27 PM »
Looking back, I was okay with everything up to the point of standing next to the guy with her foot on him.  I think as a non-LEO defending yourself, that would not be looked on well by jurors or cops when they show up.  

And I say that no matter how cool the selfie picture would be.    =)

I've read that she was an off duty cop, which seems to be what these self defense situations all are coming from there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »
Only criticism I saw was a warning that you might want to keep your distance from a bad guy.  You don't want to turn what was a gun fight into a wrestling match.

IMO, shoving the gun right at him from well within arm's reach at the start was bad, but firing right away made it a lot less bad.  I'd prefer either stepping back or firing the first shot or two from a tight retention hold, but really, he didn't get time to even register she had a gun, much less do anything about it.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 11:34:42 PM »
IMO, shoving the gun right at him from well within arm's reach at the start was bad, but firing right away made it a lot less bad.  I'd prefer either stepping back or firing the first shot or two from a tight retention hold, but really, he didn't get time to even register she had a gun, much less do anything about it.

Might have been stress, might have been wanting to make sure of bullet placement in a crowded spot.
AKA Navy Joe   

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 07:12:07 AM »
Considering her marksmanship was the result of police training, perhaps she wasn't confident of hitting her target from a greater distance?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
Might have been stress, might have been wanting to make sure of bullet placement in a crowded spot.

The latter would be my guess. There were a lot of people there, just in what we could see in the video. There may have been more factors outside our view.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »
Brazil has wretched gun laws.  And enormous amounts of crime.

Their cops love to shoot people though.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »
She got him in the middle of a high risk, emotional situation.  I'd love to see anyone placed in that position fulfill all the stuff they feed you at firearm training.  Been there, done that, have the T-shirt and understand how when the shtf, you do what you do. Then you spend years after that wondering why you didn't do it differently...Well, you didn't and it worked out and you hope you never have to do it again.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw