Author Topic: Michigan State pays half a billion dollars for Dr. Larry Nasser  (Read 775 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/16/611624047/michigan-state-university-reaches-500-million-settlement-with-nassar-abuse-victi

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/05/16/michigan-state-larry-nassar-victims/615077002/

Apparently MSU will be paying for this out of operating funds such as tuition revenue.  Generally speaking, there is no current insurance coverage for cases of sexual abuse/assault by employees; the employer is on the hook via vicarious liability for the actions of the employee.  Many years ago, as a result of the mass sex abuse cases in the religious, education, Scouting and other settings, the insurance companies began specifically excluding these cases from insurance coverage.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Michigan State pays half a billion dollars for Dr. Larry Nasser
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:02:49 PM »
I feel no sorrow for the university. They had a chance to do the right thing, and they blew it.

I hope the U.S. Gymnastics organization also gets hammered. I'm less clear as to why the U.S. Olympic Committee is even being sued. Do they have any direct control over or involvement in individual sports?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
I feel no sorrow for the university. They had a chance to do the right thing, and they blew it.

I hope the U.S. Gymnastics organization also gets hammered. I'm less clear as to why the U.S. Olympic Committee is even being sued. Do they have any direct control over or involvement in individual sports?

I would say that they are a rightful party to the lawsuit.
https://www.teamusa.org/about-the-usoc/inside-the-usoc

Quote from: From Above Linkw
The USOC has two primary responsibilities in its oversight of Olympic and Paralympic sport in the United States. The first is to generate resources in support of its mission, which is to help American athletes achieve sustained competitive excellence. The second is to ensure organizational resources are wisely and effectively used to that end.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:37:14 PM »

IIRC, complaints about Nasser were raised to the USOC, who also ignored them.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.