Author Topic: It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught  (Read 3779 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught
« on: May 17, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
For years, it bothered him.

And then Ken Newell got it on video: A man parked at a University of California San Diego permit parking lot without a permit, but with impunity. Why? Because his van had a license plate for people with disabilities.

On the video, the man jogs from the van to Thornton Hospital, apparently late for work.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/watchdog/sdut-disabled-man-caught-using-placard-ucsd-2012jul26-htmlstory.html

Coe [the violator] said he was unaware that the placard allowed him to park in the lot for free, and that he thought he was [only] risking a parking ticket. He said he risked it, because he thought the parking lot was rarely patrolled.

Doesn't that sound like Basic Evildoer Self-Justification 101?

Yet he's aware enough to know that the handicapped hang tag or license plate is for the person, not the person's car:

"...Whoever that placard is for, it’s for them. They have to be there,” Coe said. “You can’t just hand the thing out and let anybody use it.”

Yeah. yeah, I was 'triggered" by this report.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/watchdog/sdut-disabled-man-caught-using-placard-ucsd-2012jul26-htmlstory.html

Doesn't that sound like Basic Evildoer Self-Justification 101?

Yet he's aware enough to know that the handicapped hang tag or license plate is for the person, not the person's car:

Yeah. yeah, I was 'triggered" by this report.

Terry

From the article, the defense is not that he didn't know parking in a fee-paying parking lot was free because of the handicapped placard.

He purposely didn't park in a "handicapped" parking space, because he wasn't handicapped. He thought he was taking a risk of getting a fine/towed in a parking lot he doesn't have a permit for because parking is apparently really bad.

So, yes, he knew it was wrong, but was willing to take that risk. He didn't know that his wife's handicapped plate meant that he would not get a ticket in that lot. He wasn't in a "handicapped" space, just in a lot that students wanted to use and had one less space in it for students who paid to park there. (Now, he could be lying and WAS taking advantage of his wife's placard, but his story is at least plausible.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
It'd be ironic if you could get a placard for being ethically disabled and then after this he would be allowed to use a handicapped space.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »
It'd be ironic if you could get a placard for being ethically disabled and then after this he would be allowed to use a handicapped space.

Meh. From his explanation, it's akin to speeding. You are free to speed, but you risk getting a ticket. That's what he considered this to be- risking a parking ticket.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
But he says he only did it once -- ten years is about the longest single work shift I ever heard of.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »

They don't give them out for that?  Judging from the way some of them drive, I'd assumed tags were available for all types of mental disability.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
They don't give them out for that?  Judging from the way some of them drive, I'd assumed tags were available for all types of mental disability.

Aw right.  Yer on my PHFBLT list. :)

(One of my neighbors in this senior citizen's apartment had a bumper sticker which said.  "I'm Old, I'm SUPPOSED to Leave My Blinker On.")

Actually the amusing thing to me is that the ethics involved seem to have turned into a risk management matter. In other words, "It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught."

It's not clear in the article or in the photograph whether the handicapped advisement was in the form of the hang tag (placard)  or on the license plate*.  (You need a UC password to watch the video.)  However, it was a big part of the complainant's discussion, so I would legitimately assume that in fact the scoundrel was using it one way or another and that his rhetoric about it was pure face-saving BS and sounded to me like "Basic Evildoer Self-Justification 101."

The handicapped sticker "triggering" by me was just because handicapped violations are a personal bête noire.

So.

Terry

*Correction: It said his van had a disabled license plate.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:43:18 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
Equally as annoying as the scofflaws who pull such shenanigans (if not more annoying) are so-called "authorities" who are too effing lazy to properly follow up on complaints about abuse of the license tags and/or hang tags. In this case the complainant says he started making complaints ten years ago, yet Coe apparently did this every day and nothing was done about it.

(Yes, I know he said he only did it once. Do you believe him? I don't.)

Let's see -- roughly 200 working days per year x 10 years x $8/day ... that's $16,000 he owes the university.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
I was about to do that, figuring $5/day.

Oh, and the lying is OK, as long as he isn't caught doing it.  I wonder if he's ever taken Journalism classes.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
But he says he only did it once -- ten years is about the longest single work shift I ever heard of.

I dont' see him saying he only did it once. I see him saying he parked there that day because he was running late.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I will assume he runs late a few times a month and parks in that lot, thinking he's taking a risk, but will pay a ticket if he gets caught.

It probably has been 10 years he's been doing it. If he parked there a few times and never got a ticket, he may believe the parking people rarely check there.

To the other guy, who goes in to work (also, what kind of crappy employer makes its employees PAY for parking?!?) he sees it "EVERY DAY", or, more likely a few times a month and extrapolates that he just missed it those other days. Could easily be a lot of people with mistaken impressions.

Yes, the parker wrong, but he was as wrong as someone speeding.

Of course, no one condemning him ever speeds, right?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 03:04:51 PM »
(also, what kind of crappy employer makes its employees PAY for parking?!?)

Oooh! Oooh! Pick me, pick me!

It's only $2.00 a day though. But considering my employer (_ _ & _) actually owns the property and leases it to a parking concession it does rankle just a bit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »
I was about to do that, figuring $5/day.

Oh, and the lying is OK, as long as he isn't caught doing it.  I wonder if he's ever taken Journalism classes.

I thought the article said the usual parking rate was $8/day. I might have misremembered.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
Oooh! Oooh! Pick me, pick me!

It's only $2.00 a day though. But considering my employer (_ _ & _) actually owns the property and leases it to a parking concession it does rankle just a bit.

As it ought to. That's just horrible to do to your employees.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
To the other guy, who goes in to work (also, what kind of crappy employer makes its employees PAY for parking?!?) he sees it "EVERY DAY", or, more likely a few times a month and extrapolates that he just missed it those other days. Could easily be a lot of people with mistaken impressions.

The one I work for.  :'(

I'm at a construction site, so I don't pay. The people in the home office have to pay to park in a municipal garage, and the company doesn't reimburse the parking.

Yes, the parker wrong, but he was as wrong as someone speeding.

Of course, no one condemning him ever speeds, right?

Right. I decided years ago that the easiest way to avoid speeding tickets was to exercise the loophole of never exceeding the speed limit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
Right. I decided years ago that the easiest way to avoid speeding tickets was to exercise the loophole of never exceeding the speed limit.
I thought everyone knew you had to follow the posted minimum speed limit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »
Ethical behavior . . .

When I lived in Chicago, a fairly reliable way to avoid parking tickets for parking illegally was to place a Chicago Police Department ticket book on your dashboard, as cops and meter maids would rarely ticket a fellow officer's car . . . especially if it was a more expensive model, implying the owner was up in the ranks.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 09:16:14 PM »
Sorry, makattak, all you surmise is true, but it doesn't excuse the act --even once.  It still boils down to...

And all the posturin' and postulatin' is just...

"Basic Evildoer Self-Justification 101"

That's the way I see it, and whether he only did it on Tuesdays or whether I, personally, speed or not don't mean squat nohow.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:31:34 PM by 230RN »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »
Florida has an enlightened attitude about handicap parking.  They do have marked handicapped spaces.  But they also have a state statute that allows handicapped folks who have the permit to park for free at any and all government controlled parking spaces.  ie: meters on the streets and surface lots as well as pay to park high rise garages etc. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »
As the holder of a Cripple Cardtm[tm] (comes free with every diagnosis of terminal cancer), I only use if I'm feeling particularity crappy that day, other wise I know there are people in worse shape than me that need those spots.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 08:42:08 AM »
Sorry, makattak, all you surmise is true, but it doesn't excuse the act --even once.  It still boils down to...

And all the posturin' and postulatin' is just...

"Basic Evildoer Self-Justification 101"

That's the way I see it, and whether he only did it on Tuesdays or whether I, personally, speed or not don't mean squat nohow.

Terry, 230RN

I'm not saying he isn't wrong. I'm saying he isn't as wrong as if he were purposely using his wife's handicapped plates for his own benefit.

It seems, like minor speeding, more a malum prohibitum rather than a malum in se.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
 :rofl:  If you keep backtrackin' and quit subject-changin', sooner or later you'll come down to what I said about this guy's attitude.

Now if it had somehow actually come down to a Courthouse type matter and I were the guy with the gavel, I'd probably fine him a couple of month's fees, tell him not to do it again, and bang the aforementioned gavel.

Next.

>:D =D

Terry, 230RN

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
I'm absolutely anal about handicapped parking abuses.
Every chance I've had to screw someone for abusing handicapped parking/access I've jumped on it.
I could have gotten a temporary handicapped hang tag after my hip surgery but declined out of principal.

I did get to deal with a dooshbag that tried to get after my dad (100% service connected disabled vet) for parking his motorcycle/sidecar rig in a handicapped spot.  Dad even had a hang tag. He could ride the hack rig just fine but walking more than 40-50 yards at a go was a major challenge.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »
When I'm done putting my groceries in the car, I have a tendency to park the store electric cart real close to the driver side door of a vehicle without a handicapped sticker or license plate.  I mean nanometer close.

Too bad swift justice like that is sometimes thwarted by the store personnel coming out and riding the cart back to the store charging stations before the perp gets back.  (They regard that as the only fun part of cart shagging.)

If I don't have too many perishables, I like to hang out and watch the results.

So every once in a while, the "It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught" dude or dudette comes out and has to struggle to figure out how the cart works so they can get in their car.  I point out that the brakes lock up automatically.

Most of the time they don't realize you have to bounce on the seat to reset the safety shutoff and that's really fun to watch.  I bust a gut if they finally decide to go around and get in the passenger side and scrooch over to the driver's side to get going. Sometimes a brute can pick the cart up a little and move it.  Sometimes brutettes can do it too.  

I'm a baaaaad little boy sometimes.  But after all,  if I'm not caught, it can't be wrong.

Right?   >:D

Terrible Terry
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:17:10 PM by 230RN »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »
When I'm done putting my groceries in the car, I have a tendency to park the store electric cart real close to the driver side door of a vehicle without a handicapped sticker or license plate.  I mean millimeter close.

Too bad swift justice like that is sometimes thwarted by the store personnel coming out and riding the cart back to the store charging stations.

If I don't have too many perishables, I like to hang out and watch the results.

So every once in a while, the "It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught" dude or dudette comes out and has to struggle to figure out how the cart works so they can get in their car.

Most of the time they don't realize you have to bounce on the seat to reset the safety shutoff and that's really fun to watch.  I bust a gut if they finally decide to go around and get in the passenger side and scrooch over to the driver's side to get going.

I'm a baaaaad little boy sometimes.  And if I'm not caught, it can't be wrong.

Right?   >:D

Terrible Terry

I don't think that is as bad as pulling a couple of valve stems out. After all, who carries 2 spares???  >:D

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
I used to get offended by non handicapped folks in the spot, then I saw my 1000th dependapotamus park the minivan, flow all 500lbs into the closest
Jazzy powerchair, and wire into Wal-Mart to stock up on Chips, Totino's Pizza Rolls, and Diet Coke.

Now I'm kinda meh. We've (as society) made it so easy to get those placards I can't bring myself to care where the line is on any given day. I suspect many folks also just don't care, hence the disregard of the spots.

Their attitude is less "it's not wrong if I don't get caught." and more "it's not wrong".

I don't personally park in those spots, even when I'm in a car with the hang tag, but it no longer pegs my Outrage-o-meter.