Author Topic: Leveraging my Google Voice number to a corded phone  (Read 513 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Leveraging my Google Voice number to a corded phone
« on: May 18, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200

For some reason, my AT&T cell phone service has been more sucky than usual at home, with a typical signal strength of 25% and many dropped calls.  This is making it difficult for me to work in my home office. I have a Panasonic desk telephone handset/speakerphone that connects to the cell via Bluetooth. We do not have wired phone service at the house. 

I wanted to figure out a way to get inexpensive VoIP service using my existing equipment.  I did some research and found the OBi200 adapter that integrates with Google Voice.  It arrived overnight from Amazon and it took about five minutes to connect, install and configure the service.  I did have to make an emergency run to WalMart to get a telephone line cord; I had thrown them all away years ago.

This works really well.  The sound quality is much better than the cell, and the OBi has better sound quality than the Ooma service that a neighbor has. The best part for me is being able to continue to use the existing desk phone, since I need the speakerphone for conference calls. The OBi device integrates with many different VoIP services, but the online reviews recommended this device in particular for Google Voice. 

Recommended.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Leveraging my Google Voice number to a corded phone
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
My Phone Power service uses an Obihai OBi302 and works great! Phone power also has an app for the PC, iPhone and Android phones that requires NO hardware. I pay $14.08 a month for unlimited US calling, voicemail, filtering and redirection capability and more. I have been using them for 15+ years now without issue.

http://phonepower.com

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!