Author Topic: It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught  (Read 3753 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: It Can't Be Wrong If I'm Not Caught
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
dogmush remarked,

Their attitude is less "it's not wrong if I don't get caught" and more "it's not wrong."

Well, it's $100 worth of wrong around here.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:30:54 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
I'm not saying he isn't wrong. I'm saying he isn't as wrong as if he were purposely using his wife's handicapped plates for his own benefit.

If he wasn't using it for his own benefit, whose benefit was he using it for? He was certainly using it, and he certainly benefited from using it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
"Their attitude is less 'it's not wrong if I don't get caught' and more 'it's not wrong.'"

Well, it's $100 worth of wrong around here.

?

Texas just raised it to $500 minimum, plus towing and impound fees, plus mandatory community service for repeat offenders.

Now if they'd enforce it, it might stop being an issue.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »
?

Texas just raised it to $500 minimum, plus towing and impound fees, plus mandatory community service for repeat offenders.

Now if they'd enforce it, it might stop being an issue.

I just went out on an errand and discovered I was wrong.  They must have raised it from $100...

It might be enforced now as a revenue source.  I can see it now, like speed traps.... handicapped traps :rofl:

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:48:45 PM by 230RN »

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 08:58:40 PM »
I just went out on an errand and discovered I was wrong.  They must have raised it from $100...

It was $250-500, now it's $500-750.  Sounds like you need to push your city to use the state fine levels.  And the community service, since having to give up 8-40 hours of their time is a deterrent even to someone who can afford a $750 ticket.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »
Well, even as a handicapped person who is grateful for the extra convenience, I think $250 is pushing the boundaries of "punishment to fit the crime."

More than that would seem to be just plain vengeful and vindictive, although I've been royally pissed at seeing some of the blatant violations. :old:

About 20 hours of community service in addition ought to do it.

I'm not 100% sure towing away is a good idea.  "To fit the crime" comes to mind again.

Temperate Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:24:16 AM by 230RN »

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »
Well, even as a handicapped person who is grateful for the extra convenience, I think $250 is pushing the boundaries of "punishment to fit the crime."

This isn't a "gee, I didn't look down for a while and now I'm going 80 in a 70" situation; required markings of handicap spaces are way too obvious for "I didn't see it," especially when navigating a parking lot at <10mph.  Whether it's intentional or insanely negligent, I'm OK with the penalties for something that easy to avoid being higher.

About 20 hours of community service in addition ought to do it.

Even better would be if they had to wear hi-viz vests with their crime in 3" letters front and back.

I'm not 100% sure towing away is a good idea.  "To fit the crime" comes to mind again.

Removing the vehicle is to free up the space for legitimate use.  And again, it's easy to not park there in the first place.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 01:01:33 PM »

Removing the vehicle is to free up the space for legitimate use.  And again, it's easy to not park there in the first place.

^^^ This.

Exceeding the posted limit can be unintentional. It's difficult to argue that you parked in that extra-large space, with the cross-hatched side aisle and the big blue sign that says "HANDICAPPED PARKING" by mistake. I think $250 is a reasonable fine for a first offense. Second time should be $500, and after that $1,000 per offense isn't unreasonable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »
It's difficult to argue that you parked in that extra-large space, with the cross-hatched side aisle and the big blue sign that says "HANDICAPPED PARKING" by mistake.

Never underestimate the incompetence of someone a state has decided to give a license to anyway.  Not that I think such should ever be an acceptable excuse; in fact, I firmly believe that when one demonstrates a lack of awareness and concern while controlling a deadly weapon, it should be handled just as severely as if they handled a loaded firearm in a public place as carelessly.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
^^^ This.

Exceeding the posted limit can be unintentional. It's difficult to argue that you parked in that extra-large space, with the cross-hatched side aisle and the big blue sign that says "HANDICAPPED PARKING" by mistake. I think $250 is a reasonable fine for a first offense. Second time should be $500, and after that $1,000 per offense isn't unreasonable.

After enough violations make them actually eligible to use the space.  >:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
After enough violations make them actually eligible to use the space.  >:D

After 2-3, revoke their license so they can't use it anyway.  Exponentially increasing community service hours would keep them busy elsewhere, too.