Author Topic: Active shooter at Santa Fe high school in Texas  (Read 6072 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Active shooter at Santa Fe high school in Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
I'm sure the sudden fame of the animal who killed all those children in Florida has NOTHING to do with this crime...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »
Sad to hear.  That is not all that far away.  A project guy here today said he saw State police heading that direction at high speed when he pass through the area this morning.  Hopefully few people are hurt and those that are can recover. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
Preliminary reports are saying 8 dead plus others injured.  Just caught mention of it on the radio a few minutes ago.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/police-confirm-reports-of-active-shooter-at-santa-fe-high-school
Here is a link from the local NBC affiliate.  

http://abc13.com/live-coverage-active-shooter-situation-at-santa-fe-hs/3490869/
ABC affiliate.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

robear

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
This is about 4 miles from me, as the crow flies.    Local news is saying at least 8 dead, one arrested (but 2 in custody ???).
Damn..  Just...  Damn.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/police-confirm-reports-of-active-shooter-at-santa-fe-high-school

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
I'm sure the sudden fame of the animal who killed all those children in Florida has NOTHING to do with this crime...

Early reporting is saying the creature pulled the fire alarm and shot students as they filled the hallway.

Geee... that sounds familiar, too.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Another school shooting in Texas - Ten dead
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 01:03:34 PM »
Here we go yet again.  Ten dead kids in Santa Fe, Texas high school. Suspect in custody.  Second person of interest being sought.  Possible explosive devices found.
Fox News story here.
Coming so soon after Florida and with Nevada so fresh in many folks minds, it makes me wonder if there is a tipping point, where a majority finally demands the 2nd be repealed.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Another school shooting in Texas - Ten dead
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
What is with all this defeatism on the gun issue these days?

???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
Merged topics.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
Here we go yet again.  Ten dead kids in Santa Fe, Texas high school. Suspect in custody.  Second person of interest being sought.  Possible explosive devices found.
Fox News story here.
Coming so soon after Florida and with Nevada so fresh in many folks minds, it makes me wonder if there is a tipping point, where a majority finally demands the 2nd be repealed.

They can demand all they want.  It won't happen.

However, I suspect we'll see more creeping incrementalism.  Age limit 21 to own a gun and probably universal background checks.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
They can demand all they want.  It won't happen.

However, I suspect we'll see more creeping incrementalism.  Age limit 21 to own a gun and probably universal background checks.

Yup. I'll wager "over 21" will be a done deal. I think Trump was cool with that, so like bump stocks, it will likely be a "gimme". I think there will be some significant lawsuits though, given it contributes to muddying the waters (on more than guns) on if 18 or 21 is "adult".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:33 PM »
What is with all this defeatism on the gun issue these days?

???
I don't know, but I don't care for it. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »
Yup. I'll wager "over 21" will be a done deal. I think Trump was cool with that, so like bump stocks, it will likely be a "gimme". I think there will be some significant lawsuits though, given it contributes to muddying the waters (on more than guns) on if 18 or 21 is "adult".
From what I heard so far, the murderer was 17.  Couldn't have bought the gun legally.  We might know more about that after a couple days.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
I'll wager that the suspect(s) are from fatherless homes and on psychotropic drugs.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »
As far as the aftermath causing changes in the law, the biggest problem is keeping the NRA from talking about "compromise".  I don't think Trump would sign anti-gun legislation, but if the NRA tells him it is a good idea, he might do it.  The only other concern I have is Republican Congressmen getting weak in the knees over leftist media/propaganda.  

In Texas, I don't think there will be any anti-gun laws passed.  The legislature won't be in session until next January and Gov Abbott has been very pro-gun.  If anything, it might hurt efforts to move toward constitutional carry or other efforts to roll back the restrictions already in place.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »
I'll wager that the suspect(s) are from fatherless homes and on psychotropic drugs.
Yeah, I also heard he was bullied and one of the kids shot was the one doing the bullying.  Just hearsay though, I didn't see that in an article.  I figure the information will be all over the place for a day or two.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
Too early for any real details but I'll make some predictions:
Shooter underage and acquired and possessed the firearms illegally.
Shooter had been throwing multiple "red flags" indicating a violent tendency for several months or more but was not dealt with do to PC crap.
Shooter made posts on social media that suggested violent tendencies and/or actual threats of violence.
Probably bought the bombs at a local gun show so he wouldn't have to get a background check.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
If there were red flags on this kid, I will expect our Governor and whoever else to come down hard on the administrators involved.  We will see.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
Yeah, I also heard he was bullied and one of the kids shot was the one doing the bullying.  Just hearsay though, I didn't see that in an article.  I figure the information will be all over the place for a day or two.

We had a shooting here a while back at a small rural school. The kid doing the shooting was one of the "bullied" kids and the kid he shot was one of the main "bullies" according to some early reports.

That narrative disappeared pretty quick and they named a Highway after the kid that was killed.

So, even if the above is true, you may not ever hear about it or it will quickly be lost to other narratives. :(

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 02:20:55 PM »
From what I heard so far, the murderer was 17.  Couldn't have bought the gun legally.  We might know more about that after a couple days.

I don't think that will matter to them. Several of these have been "underage" already and they have continually called for "over 21". I agree that it's nonsensical (just like every other time a current gun law is broken) but it sounds "sensible" to the general populace, so it's a good, "We've done something!" soundbite.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
If a politician wants to raise the legal age for firearms to 21, I'll say hell yes- as long as it's also age of legal majority for alcohol, tobacco, and VOTING.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
If a politician wants to raise the legal age for firearms to 21, I'll say hell yes- as long as it's also age of legal majority for alcohol, tobacco, and VOTING. And joining the military

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
If a politician wants to raise the legal age for firearms to 21, I'll say hell yes- as long as it's also age of legal majority for alcohol, tobacco, and VOTING. And joining the military

Bring back the kiddie cruise!!!

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 02:41:47 PM »
If a politician wants to raise the legal age for firearms to 21, I'll say hell yes- as long as it's also age of legal majority for alcohol, tobacco, and VOTING.

Larry got in while I was typing, but yeah, it would screw those in the military unless that age was upped as well.

Constitutionally, I don't know how I feel about it. However, regarding pissing off the people who want to raise the firearms age, yeah, VOTING. You're either an adult that's mature enough to own guns, join the military, and vote, or you're not.  Whatever the age of majority is, I think those three things should be tied together.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden