Author Topic: Windows 10 Update just ruined my PC  (Read 4735 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Windows 10 Update just ruined my PC
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »
Windows has been nagging me for several days to apply the latest updates.  I did this morning (I think it's version 1809.)  At the end of the update it rebooted, then asked me to select a keyboard layout (that's not a good sign), then several choices all of them bad: rollback (which doesn't work), or load a restore point (it deleted all my restore points), advanced diagnostics, or turn off the PC.

I managed to get it to reboot to Windows, but cannot do anything because my device drivers are gone, my desktop is gone, and the start menu does not load.

I do have a backup on an external HDD that is several month old.  I'm going to try booting from a Windows 7 CD and using that to reload the backup, losing all my work for the past month (there's not much, but it's still really annoying)  If that doesn't work, I'll have to download an install image and start over from scratch (and track down Acer drivers again, etc)

*expletive deleted*ck you, Microsoft.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Windows 10 Update just ruined my PC
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »

Amen to that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »

I hate that they will change your default setting from "Hibernate" to "Shut Down" so if you don't spot it, you are forced to get their latest and greatest conglomeration of fixes which contain other bugs and destroy your settings.

That's why I don't run on batteries and often can abort the updates by unplugging the power and rebooting in safe mode/start windows normally.

I don't know how many times I've hollered something about the deity condemning Microsoft to a hot place for a significant portion of forever and leave my procreating machine alone, it was working fine, thank you.

Yes.  Yes indeed:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
I'm doing a "Reset this PC" from the advanced startup menu right now (reset to what?) and told it to keep my files.  It's at 2% done.  I have very little hope that this will work.  Next step will be calling MS's international phone support and hope I can understand the tech's accent (and they can understand mine)
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »
I don't remember how I did it, but I shut off the automatic update feature.  Nothing can update unless I actually choose to do so, and I don't.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
I don't remember how I did it, but I shut off the automatic update feature.  Nothing can update unless I actually choose to do so, and I don't.

If I remember right, you first have to tell Windows that you have a data charge.  Then it will give you the options on updating automatically.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 02:22:13 PM »
If I remember right, you first have to tell Windows that you have a data charge.  Then it will give you the options on updating automatically.

Set your wireless connection to "metered", and never connect via the physical Ethernet port.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:39:38 PM »
Set your wireless connection to "metered", and never connect via the physical Ethernet port.

Note that if you use a 4G modem, say while traveling, this will not work. I made that setting when I first got my travel laptop, left the thing on in my hotel while I met friends for drinks, and came back to find that an update had occurred while I was gone and I was WAY over my data cap for the modem (hence it cost me $$$). It apparently treats a USB modem the same as wired ethernet (which is also not unlimited for a lot of people, so it's not like that should be okay).

I ended up finding a rather complicated workaround involving the registry, and posted it here somewhere a couple of years ago. MS may have rectified that problem by now, but I nowadays generally make sure to plug that computer in before I leave for somewhere and force an update check (including at least a second one if it updates once) to keep it from trying to update when I'm not on my home connection.

I understand MS's reasoning for forcing updates, especially critical security updates. I just wish the interface first popped up a window saying that an update is about to begin, then gives you the option of postponing for a reasonable amount of time (like days versus minutes). Then if they want to force it like after three postponements or something,  I could live with that.

I'm still running Win7 on my main laptop, and the lack of user control in Win10 (with me taking responsibility for my actions) is a big reason why. I know I'm not the "average user" segment MS designed these win10 attributes for, but I do wish there was an "I'm running things my way and taking responsibility for anything I screw up, and I won't complain to MS about it" option.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »
The reset worked, and the documents I was concerned about were still there, and my network drivers are working.  I think all my documents are still here, but most of my software has been uninstalled.  Don't know about the video driver yet (it works, but might not work with my games)  I'm reinstalling Steam right now.

I'm still not happy, but I can recover from this.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:57:07 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
I'm doing a "Reset this PC" from the advanced startup menu right now (reset to what?) and told it to keep my files.  It's at 2% done.  I have very little hope that this will work.  Next step will be calling MS's international phone support and hope I can understand the tech's accent (and they can understand mine)

"Reset" gets you to an out of the box state.

Got another computer that works?   Download Microsoft's Windows 10 media creation tool, and make a bootable USB stick.  Probably just as well to install off that.

Microsoft support doesn't want to hear your voice.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »
This thread reminded me I haven't made my secondary backup this month (bootable disk image on a portable drive). Better do that when I get back to the house.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 07:55:40 PM »
Yeah, any work you absolutely need really needs to be backed up right now.

Before the next "patch" arrives.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
My colleague at work suddenly couldn’t print after the update.  So, she had to forward documents to her iPad and AirPrint them.  After about a week, Dell pushed out an update that fixed the update.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
My colleague at work suddenly couldn’t print after the update.  So, she had to forward documents to her iPad and AirPrint them.  After about a week, Dell pushed out an update that fixed the update.

Me:
...you are forced to get their latest and greatest conglomeration of fixes which contain other bugs and destroy your settings.

Win 7, because I'm desperately trying to avoid Win 10.  I've already done enough of their unpaid and unending beta testing with Win 7, don't need to start all over with Win 10.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 11:18:53 PM »
Me:
Win 7, because I'm desperately trying to avoid Win 10.  I've already done enough of their unpaid and unending beta testing with Win 7, don't need to start all over with Win 10.

alas, end of support is in sight for win7*.  yes, I know.  we still get people clinging to XP.

*and server08, which is going to bother me more.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 12:16:58 AM »
alas, end of support is in sight for win7*.

January 14, 2020 is when support for Windows 7 ends. I'm one of those who will hold out 'til the bitter end -- and probably awhile after that. I have a tablet and one notebook that was Windows 8.1 that are running windows 10, and I hate it. The only thing that makes it even slightly tolerable is Windows Classic Shell.

I still have one notebook on Windows XP. It's the only computer I have that can print to and scan from my trusty old Sharp multi-function printer/scanner.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 07:08:27 AM »
"I'm one of those who will hold out 'til the bitter end"

Ditto.

I made the switch to 10 on my home computer, but the second I figured out that a Windows XP emulator wasn't included, I shitcanned it and went back to 7.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 07:19:45 AM »
I still have a Win7 laptop, but the majority of what I use has been Linux Mint for years.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
The only thing that makes it even slightly tolerable is Windows Classic Shell.

Classic Shell died recently. At some update point it will stop working in Win10.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »
Classic Shell died recently. At some update point it will stop working in Win10.

:Sigh:  I know. The developer of Classic Shell has abandoned it.

And Firefox has totally revised the underlying architecture, which means that once they end support for the ESR version (which is still on 52.x.x) the Classic Theme Restorer add-in will no longer function and I'll be unhappy yet again. And I believe official support for the 52-based ESR version will end next month.

Grrrrr ... It ain't easy being an analog Luddite in a digital universe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »
Great.

Have 2 machines - my primary is an Alienware that's just over 4 years old running Win 8.1, which really didn't like the "Free Win 10" upgrade when it was offered. So far, it's running fine under Win 8.1.

My old Windows XP machine has been getting hinky lately - an endless chkdsk/reboot/chkdsk/reboot loop being just the latest - so I've been thinking its time to get another machine. Everything on the market (other than that fruity competitor) seems to be Windows 10.

I'm not looking forward to this step.   =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »
Great.

Have 2 machines - my primary is an Alienware that's just over 4 years old running Win 8.1, which really didn't like the "Free Win 10" upgrade when it was offered. So far, it's running fine under Win 8.1.

My old Windows XP machine has been getting hinky lately - an endless chkdsk/reboot/chkdsk/reboot loop being just the latest - so I've been thinking its time to get another machine. Everything on the market (other than that fruity competitor) seems to be Windows 10.

I'm not looking forward to this step.   =(

When win10 is running, it's really not that bad. The updating could just use some improvement. Otherwise, sure, old peripherals and stuff might not work with it (but they might). However at some point you have to give up on old peripherals.  I recall having to give up stuff when going from win 3.1 to NT. Kinda like being out of luck these days if you have a dot matrix printer with a parallel port connector. :)

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
"I'm one of those who will hold out 'til the bitter end"

Ditto.

I made the switch to 10 on my home computer, but the second I figured out that a Windows XP emulator wasn't included, I shitcanned it and went back to 7.

I set up a Virtualbox virtual for XP.  Trivial.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »
January 14, 2020 is when support for Windows 7 ends. I'm one of those who will hold out 'til the bitter end -- and probably awhile after that. I have a tablet and one notebook that was Windows 8.1 that are running windows 10, and I hate it. The only thing that makes it even slightly tolerable is Windows Classic Shell.

I still have one notebook on Windows XP. It's the only computer I have that can print to and scan from my trusty old Sharp multi-function printer/scanner.

Ditch the Sharp.  It isn't worth it.

My 20-ish year old HP laser died a couple months back.  I spent a whopping $129 on a "HP LaserJet MFP M130fw".  Monchrome laser + scanner, plus a fax that will never be used.  It's been great. 

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 02:41:40 PM »
I still have a Win7 laptop, but the majority of what I use has been Linux Mint for years.

I keep Win7 or Win 10 around, because Gotoassist, which we use for remote support at work, wouldn't work no way no how, under Linux or Wine.  If it did, I could recover the space of that partition.

Mint, I've run into a couple of issues with.  Because of it tracking the Ubuntu LTS version, you sometimes don't get a new enough version. 

My new HP printer, I could not get to work under Mint, until I went to HP and got their current hplip software.  Mint's was too old. 

"Youtube-dl" (command line youtube video capture), the Mint version doesn't work, get the current version.

And, I ran into some problems using Mint's current virtualbox.