Author Topic: Windows 10 Update just ruined my PC  (Read 4732 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Windows 10 Update just ruined my PC
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »
Early 10 adapter on 5 notebooks. No real issues to date. The machines range from old 7 OS machines and up.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

JN01

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:55 PM »
Mine updated last night.  Now when I try to sign in to unlock the computer at start up, it won't allow me to type the PIN in the box, but will allow me to sign in using my Microsoft account password.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »
Great.
Everything on the market (other than that fruity competitor) seems to be Windows 10.

I'm not looking forward to this step.   =(

Start looking at amazon. I have a few clients that can't move to 10 but needed new PCs. You may pay a bit of a premium, and be stuck with one generation old CPUs; but there's not enough of a performance difference to matter to most people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 06:46:30 PM »
Mine updated last night.  Now when I try to sign in to unlock the computer at start up, it won't allow me to type the PIN in the box, but will allow me to sign in using my Microsoft account password.

That's disconcerting. I haven't had my travel laptop on the internet for almost a month. I also don't have (and don't want) a Microsoft account. I just use a local login. I should fire it up and let the update run. If it does that to me, I'm dumping 10 and either using my last emergency backup Win7 media and license or else just saying screw it and running Mint on it.

I think about all I would lose on that one if I went Linux on it is Netflix and maybe Google Earth. I run it pretty bare bones. Though I think I would also have to hotspot it to my phone. I think Linux still doesn't run the Verizon 4G modem drivers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
That's disconcerting. I haven't had my travel laptop on the internet for almost a month. I also don't have (and don't want) a Microsoft account. I just use a local login. I should fire it up and let the update run. If it does that to me, I'm dumping 10 and either using my last emergency backup Win7 media and license or else just saying screw it and running Mint on it.

I think about all I would lose on that one if I went Linux on it is Netflix and maybe Google Earth. I run it pretty bare bones. Though I think I would also have to hotspot it to my phone. I think Linux still doesn't run the Verizon 4G modem drivers.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/can-now-watch-netflix-linux-natively-heres-how/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
When win10 is running, it's really not that bad. The updating could just use some improvement. Otherwise, sure, old peripherals and stuff might not work with it (but they might). However at some point you have to give up on old peripherals.  I recall having to give up stuff when going from win 3.1 to NT. Kinda like being out of luck these days if you have a dot matrix printer with a parallel port connector. :)
What bugs me is how long it takes to download a couple of gigabytes of game files on my 28.8 dialup connection . . .

:O     :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/can-now-watch-netflix-linux-natively-heres-how/

I could swear I tried that and it didn't work for me. I'll have to give it another go. When I'm in hotels, I'd actually prefer to watch stuff off my Linux flash drive, vs the resident system.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »
28.8 you lucky guy. It has been raining here so I've been at 14.4.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
my old Toshiba lap top runs Windows 7 home premium.  The other day, it did an update.   I shut the machine off, and drove with it back to my other home in North Fl.   When I turned it on, it started doing the 'configuring' stuff thing.  It ran for hours, saying it was 100% finished.  I turned it off,  back on, and now it said 35% finished.  Another hour or so, and I turned it off again.  This time, when it started,  it said 'cleaning up'.  That ran for another hour, and then, voila, it returned to normal.
I really hate Bill Gates.  One of these days, it just won't restart.   
There are two external hard drives that I back up on.  All my doc files, pictures and things.  If it dies,  it dies.  I won't really lose anything but time and effort.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »
We’ll count be in as a statistic.

Did a Windows 10 update. Stuck at 98% for about 20 hours.

Turned off and back on.

Loads but will not load the shortcut tray at the bottom.

Message window says
 “sihost.exe - System warning”
! Unknown Hard Error

What the hell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 01:19:37 AM »
At this point, I'm afraid to turn on my Windows 10 notebook. I have two Windows 10 tablets that I don't use for anything Internet connected, so the latest security patches aren't a concern. I may set them so they won't automatically connect to WiFi at home, and freeze their status where it is now (which I think is release 1709). I don't need the latest update, but I DO need them to work when I turn them on.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
I just did the update. Everything running as normal so far, but this update did kill classic shell.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »
28.8 you lucky guy. It has been raining here so I've been at 14.4.

It's funny.  While cleaning out a cabinet I came across an old 1200 baud modem that went with an ancient Toshiba I had.

Gave it a proper burial-at-dumpster. Taps, 21 handclap salute, and everything.