Author Topic: Credit Freezes Soon to be Free  (Read 450 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Credit Freezes Soon to be Free
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »
Awaiting Trump's signature is legislation that would make freezing your credit free. I am pro and con on this.

The con is my basic desire to keep government out of the private sector. The pro is that because of Equifax's screw up, I have had to pay for credit freezes at the three agencies. Not just pay for freezes, but pay to unfreeze and refreeze. It wasn't even for a loan or anything. When I was taking gas service in and out of my name at my rentals, the stupid gas company forced a credit check, so I had to pay for the "off and back on again" at the credit agencies.

This could easily have been handled without govt interference if the companies just changed their business model to make this stuff free to begin with. Especially since  I don't "buy" their services. In reality, I have to use them whether I want to or not because businesses I chose to deal with, or that I have no choice but to deal with, use the credit services. Given that situation, I think forcing people to pay to protect their privacy, bank accounts, etc. is pretty crappy.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/pf/free-credit-freeze/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Re: Credit Freezes Soon to be Free
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »
I am 100% for this bill. Texas is already involved by mandating the fee. I was nabbed I the equifax bull *expletive deleted*it. I needed an Amex card and had to pay to do a temp unfreeze.

All because Equifax sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Credit Freezes Soon to be Free
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:31:32 PM »
I've always felt that consumers should be able to pick one (of the four) credit bureau and have them do all you credit ratings.  That way when applying for a card or loan you would simply tell the issuer/lender "Experian is my credit bureau."  Then instead of incomplete information at all four bureaus, you would have complete info at one.  It would also make it easier for issuers/lenders to truly see your credit history, rather then four partials.

Plus you would only have to have disputes with one bureau for when your ex- doesn't pay her *$^#(@!^%$ bills.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.