Author Topic: High school kids must smile or face detention.  (Read 1617 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
High school kids must smile or face detention.
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
This is so creepy.

And I've got to think that it's unconstitutional. How can the government mandate your visage?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: High school kids must smile or face detention.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
This is so creepy.

And I've got to think that it's unconstitutional. How can the government mandate your visage?

Unsurprisingly, the article makes it clear this isn't the biggest problem in that school.

I have to wonder if this principal is attempting her own version of the "PROMISE" program by ignoring attacks in her school. "If it's not written up, it didn't happen!"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
At best, this will make for more libertarians.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
Students who don’t have a smile on their face while in the hallways between classes are told to either smile or go see a guidance counselor to discuss their problems.

I would (honestly) tell the guidance counselor that my problem was unrealistic school administrators.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
I feel like I need to provide these students with the Federal Government Sexual harassment training slides.

Among other things, a male in a leadership role telling a subordinate female to "smile" has been held to be sexual harassment in the past.

>:D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »

I have to wonder if this principal is attempting her own version of the "PROMISE" program by ignoring attacks in her school. "If it's not written up, it didn't happen!"

Sounds like the high school in my town ... from which we had to withdraw my daughter because of bullying. The school says it never happened. A teacher I knew in the school said it definitely happened.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »
Every now and then in my high school, the admins tried to push the envelope of their authority far beyond its legitimate bounds. These attempts included things like ORDERING students not to call & talk to local radio shows about school policy, even from home. (It would have had to be from home or somewhere off campus, as this was before cell phones and the school had no public or pay phones.) Or ORDERING students to account for their time when away from school or any school sponsored event. Sometimes students (I was one) were ORDERED to show up on Saturday to try out for a sports team, whether we wanted to or not, even though many of us had weekend jobs.

When that happened, the student response was what I'd term "nonviolent noncompliance." We simply refused en masse to follow their dictates.

An order to "smile" like the one in the OP would have resulted in frowns and mass refusal to accept detention or any other punishment.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
I think the threat of detention is if they refuse to talk to the counselor.  It's still an overreach, but not as bad IMHO.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »

An order to "smile" like the one in the OP would have resulted in frowns and mass refusal to accept detention or any other punishment.

Or

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
Or

Now a whole bunch of kids wearing those in the hallways would be awesome.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
Hey, who are those Guys?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »
Hey, who are those Guys?

Fawkes if I know.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 06:17:09 PM »
Or

"The last man to enter Parliament with honest intentions, a clear plan and the means to carry it out."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
Way back in 1959 I was a sophomore in high school.  It was a public high school but there was a good deal of a very strict sect of Protestantism in the district.  The school board and the Superintendent went to one or the other of those several churches.  We were not allowed to have any dances after sporting events or even a prom or homecoming dance.  The local Catholic high school started charging tuition the year before and many parents couldn't afford it so a good deal of us went off to the public high school.  We organized our Protestant fellow class mates as they were upset about the no dance policy as well.  The entire high school student body 9-12 walked out of class one afternoon.  As a result the school board rescinded the no dance policy and we began to have a prom and a homecoming dance.  Apparently getting bad publicity was more important than enforcing draconian and religious rules in a public school.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
Way back in 1959 I was a sophomore in high school.  It was a public high school but there was a good deal of a very strict sect of Protestantism in the district.  The school board and the Superintendent went to one or the other of those several churches.  We were not allowed to have any dances after sporting events or even a prom or homecoming dance.  The local Catholic high school started charging tuition the year before and many parents couldn't afford it so a good deal of us went off to the public high school.  We organized our Protestant fellow class mates as they were upset about the no dance policy as well.  The entire high school student body 9-12 walked out of class one afternoon.  As a result the school board rescinded the no dance policy and we began to have a prom and a homecoming dance.  Apparently getting bad publicity was more important than enforcing draconian and religious rules in a public school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFWDGTVYqE8

=D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »

Didn't they make a movie about that?
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams