Author Topic: 'Summa --- Laude' Cake Censored by Store's Online Ordering System  (Read 803 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/the-pursuit-of-happiness/content/2018-05-22-summa-laude-cake-censored-by-stores-online-ordering-system/

For his graduation party, Koscinski decided to order a sheet cake from Publix's online ordering system - requesting that it include the message "summa cum laude," in recognition of the high grades Jacob had received.

However, Publix's system refused to recognize 'cum,' deeming it obscene, instead of using the Latin translation. The online ordering system automatically inserted three dashes in place of 'cum.'

Koscinski says she didn't get to see the cake until it was revealed at her son's graduation party where it was revealed to read "summa --- laude.'

=D :lol: :laugh:
I just don't know what to say on this one.  I am actually too busy laughing about it to have much of an opinion yet.  It does seem like someone could fix this when the cake was made if they cared to.  Of course, their workers may have never heard of it or have no idea what Summa Cum Laude means.

(I guess the APS word filter didn't censor it   =D )
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: 'Summa --- Laude' Cake Censored by Store's Online Ordering System
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »

Of course, their workers may have never heard of it or have no idea what Summa Cum Laude means.

Automated system and the above are the likely Occum's Razor. Though you would think that the system would have some type of programming that would allow "cum" when preceded and followed by "Summa" and "Laude". I'm guessing graduation cakes are a fairly brisk seasonal item. Actually hard to believe this hasn't come up before.

Though maybe the system does allow it, but the pastry worker, who never came close to Summa cum Laude, only saw the "cum". :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
It does seem like someone could fix this when the cake was made if they cared to.

Yeah, it'd be pretty easy to squirt "cum" onto the cake if needed.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
:facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »

That can happen if ya send it back to the kitchen, so I hear. I'd rather get a refund than send food back with a complaint! (Google "hotdog warming vagina")
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »

Yeah,  :facepalm:eleventy ! ! !  [barf]

But I'll take it "cum granis salis."

Funniest thread so far in 2018.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:06:42 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 10:52:17 PM »
Automated system and the above are the likely Occum's Razor.

Har-har.

And I already linked to this story in that Publix thread. Get off my turf, MechaG!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 11:35:33 PM »
Funniest thing, being tired and up too late, I read Publix as Pubic the first time through.   :rofl:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark