Author Topic: Reality Check, D-Day show.  (Read 715 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Reality Check, D-Day show.
« on: May 25, 2018, 03:33:58 AM »
TV listing:

D-Day 360
Filmmakers use cutting edge technology to recreate the battle that turned the tide of the war. On D-Day 14,000 planes dropped 23,000 airborne troops behind German lines, and 5,000 ships delivered 160,000 soldiers onto the beaches.

(TVPG) Documentary
KRMA-HD (Ch:6-1) 1:00 am (60 Mins)

1.6 troops per plane?

32 troops per ship?

I think I know what they mean, but that sure looked funny to me.

:D

I started watching this show well after it started and it seemed pretty good, but the numbers in that listing kind of jumped out at me.

This Over-The-Air Channel (6.1 in Denver) is a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) outlet and they seem to be running a D-Day programming arc for Memorial Day.  (Today is 25 May 2018, D+27016 )

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:51:11 AM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Reality Check, D-Day show.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »
TV listing:

1.6 troops per plane?

32 troops per ship?

:D

I started watching this show well after it started and it seemed pretty good, but the numbers in that listing kind of jumped out at me.

This Over-The-Air Channel (6.1 in Denver) is a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) outlet and they seem to be running a D-Day programming arc for Memorial Day.  (Today is 25 May 2018, D+27016 )

Ok, that's hilarious.

LIKELY they have included all airplanes, not just the actual transport ones and the 5,000 ships likely include the landing craft. So, they are probably right if you step back enough and cut them enough slack, but that was incredibly bad phrasing.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »

I'm glad you do. I have no idea what they mean.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
I'm glad you do. I have no idea what they mean.

It means there were massive numbers of ships involved, and some of those ships delivered ground troops. Some ships were doing other things, that did not involve ground troop deployment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife