Author Topic: School shooting - Indiana  (Read 1897 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
School shooting - Indiana
« on: May 25, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
Drive by post

Suspect in custody after shooting at Indiana middle school; 2 victims reported

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/25/suspect-in-custody-after-shooting-at-indiana-middle-school-2-victims-reported.html

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: School shooting - Indiana
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Ok, after checking a few more articles, no new information.

Victims: adult and a 13 year old female
Suspect: in custody

Is it just me, or is it a bit fishy to release even that much information on the victims and not one damn thing on the suspect? 

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »
Wife's facebook noted this. School SO challenged & shot the 19 YO former student moments after he opened fire. Shooter not dead.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
Ok, after checking a few more articles, no new information.

Victims: adult and a 13 year old female
Suspect: in custody

Is it just me, or is it a bit fishy to release even that much information on the victims and not one damn thing on the suspect? 

Perhaps they* are finally listening to everyone about the whole "Don't make them famous" thing.

*"They" in this case being the media, Law Enforcement, or whomever is not releasing the info.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
Perhaps they* are finally listening to everyone about the whole "Don't make them famous" thing.

*"They" in this case being the media, Law Enforcement, or whomever is not releasing the info.

Not saying they should give a name, but there's a lot of other relevant information; age, student status, relation to either victim, etc.

I personally love the ideas floated by a couple of the "don't name them" groups, of simply assigning each criminal a number by which they're to be referred to at all times.  Make it possible, but difficult to link the number to a name if they survive; some may get out of prison someday, and people should know if a mass murderer is living in the neighborhood even if he is 95 when released.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:48:27 PM by KD5NRH »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
I saw somewhere that the shooter is 19 years old, and a former student of the school.

I don't know how to reconcile reports that the shooter was tackled by a teacher, who was seriously wounded, with other reports that the shooter was shot by an SRO. Does that mean there were two (at least) people involved in stopping the shooter, or was the SRO referred to as a "teacher"? We'll have to wait for details to filter out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
Not saying they should give a name, but there's a lot of other relevant information; age, student status, relation to either victim, etc.

I personally love the ideas floated by a couple of the "don't name them" groups, of simply assigning each criminal a number by which they're to be referred to at all times.  Make it possible, but difficult to link the number to a name if they survive; some may get out of prison someday, and people should know if a mass murderer is living in the neighborhood even if he is 95 when released.

When you watch the musical theater adaptation of Les Miserables, you're not meant to sympathize with Javert.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 04:54:26 PM »

I personally love the ideas floated by a couple of the "don't name them" groups, of simply assigning each criminal a number by which they're to be referred to at all times.  Make it possible, but difficult to link the number to a name if they survive; some may get out of prison someday, and people should know if a mass murderer is living in the neighborhood even if he is 95 when released.

Just refer to them by insulting terms like "loser" and "*expletive deleted*bag", and never show their faces.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »
Just refer to them by insulting terms like "loser" and "*expletive deleted*bag", and never show their faces.

I'd still like to be able to distinguish between 20180525-46062A and other douchebags in conversation, though, and that doesn't roll off the tongue sounding nearly as much like a cool criminal nickname as 24601.  (And if there are more than 26 attempted mass murderers in a single zip code in a single day, we should probably just nuke it.)

Still seeing weird inconsistencies; some stories say he was a 19 year old former student, others say he was a current student at the middle school, which would make him 13-14 tops.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »
As much as not giving their names would be good, it causes other problems. For one people aren't able to look up other information about them to find out who he is, as opposed to what the media would want you to know and not know about him.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 12:04:05 AM »
As much as not giving their names would be good, it causes other problems. For one people aren't able to look up other information about them to find out who he is, as opposed to what the media would want you to know and not know about him.

I don't think there's any question of a suspect's name actually being withheld from the public. It's the recitation of all known facts and speculation about the suspect that leads to problems. I would think, ideally, the news sites (or at least the local ones) would report any mass murderer suspect names they get from police. Report it once, and never mention it again. No photos, and let the courts ask why he did it. If police want to talk about him, or his motivation, in a press conference, so be it. And obviously, if the creep is still at large, none of this applies until he's caught.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 01:33:33 AM »

Still seeing weird inconsistencies; some stories say he was a 19 year old former student, others say he was a current student at the middle school, which would make him 13-14 tops.

I saw the same inconsistency. Report I just read said he excused himself from class, and came back with two handguns. This same report confirmed that the shooter was tackled by a male teacher, who was one of the wounded victims. Yet other reports indicated that the shooter was shot by a school resource officer. Did the SRO shoot him after the teacher had disarmed him?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »
It's like some of you have never followed the news coverage of a mass murder before. It's always confused. There's always conspiracy-mongering about multiple shooters that the trilateral jooish lizard people are hiding from us.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
Oh, heck. "They" haven't even decided yet if JFK was killed by the shooter in the book warehouse, a second shooter on the grassy knoll, or a third shooter somewhere else.

How do you expect coherent details on an event that only happened last week/month/year?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »
Oh, heck. "They" haven't even decided yet if JFK was killed by the shooter in the book warehouse, a second shooter on the grassy knoll, or a third shooter somewhere else.

JFK shot first.  Oswald was just defending himself.