Author Topic: What does a $1million student debt look like?  (Read 3865 times)

brimic

• friends
What does a $1million student debt look like?
« on: May 25, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: What does a $1million student debt look like?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
... Orthodontist has $1M+ in debt that grows by $130 per day.

(since it's behind the paywall, I'm not paying for more than that.)

That was obviously a number of monumentally bad choices by Mr. sorry, DR. Meru (you paid enough for the title, I guess you deserve it.)

And, not dischargeable in bankruptcy court, either. He's now enslaved for the rest of his life.

Now, personally, I think the colleges themselves ought to be held at least partially accountable for this situation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
The guy doesn't really look like *expletive deleted*ing moron, I guess looks can be deceiving.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
Getting him to pay that off is going to be like pulling teeth!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:51:44 PM »
You would think they would put a cap on the loan amount for an individual.  But they still put up the veneer that college will pay for itself.  No current politician seems to want to get to the root of the problem.  I doubt he'll ever extract himself from this situation.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
Now, personally, I think the colleges themselves ought to be held at least partially accountable for this situation.

Colleges and lenders; no one in their right mind would expect an individual in any normal job (by which I mean pretty much anything people go to school to learn to do) to be able to pay off debt that's pulling >$100/day interest from the first day on the job.  Even wildly successful doctors and lawyers extremely rarely get that successful to start making that kind of cash before they have a decade or more of experience.

Setting realistic expectations and schedules would be helpful; I do know a dentist who managed to graduate with only 4 figures of student loan debt by working her ass off all the way through, but her biggest problem was finding anything better than minimum wage that would work with the class schedules.  (Of course, she immediately picked up another 6-7 figures of loans starting an office, but she did the research, found an underserved area with a dentist just nearing retirement, and found that the other local dentist was eyeing the soon-to-retire one's office in lieu of a complete rework of his own, so she was back in the black, employing two other full dentists and several dental assistants and hygienists inside 10 years...all in a town that most people wouldn't think needs two dentists, and owing largely to picking up more patients than she could handle from the retiring one and all the people who needed stuff done while the other was moving.)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:40 PM »
The student loan bubble is going to be disastrous when it bursts...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
I don't think so. 25% of loans now are in default and many more in forbearance. That's enough people to form a constituency for politicians to appeal to and promise to void the debts but they've got to be in office to do that!

So Big G will pick up the tab an just pile it into the debt we already have. And as long as G can pay the interest and pay off the maturing Treasuries it won't cause much of a problem.

Of course many of the people that faithfully paid off their school loans will be righteously angry that they didn't get such a break. We will have to wait to see whether this turns into something politically potent. 

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »

Nonsense.  There is no way he racked up $1m in just school debt.  I bet he put all of his expenses into student loans.  They guy is an idiot. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:39:43 PM »
“Mr. Meru then entered into a government-sponsored repayment plan based on income. He agreed to monthly payments at 10% of his discretionary income, defined as adjusted gross income minus 150% of the poverty level. Any balance remaining after 25 years is forgiven, effectively covered by taxpayers. The forgiven amount is then taxed as ordinary income.

Without the government help, Mr. Meru’s monthly payment would be $10,541.91, according to an email from his loan servicer. His current monthly income, after taxes, is roughly $13,333.”

Also:
“The government repayment plan affords the Meru family a comfortable life. Their home is on a mountain with panoramic views of the snow-capped peaks surrounding Salt Lake City. They take vacations, including a recent trip to Havana. He drives a used Tesla.”

Good for him that he’s allowed a ‘comfortable lifestyle” while people like me have busted their asses all their lives to get ahead and aren’t subsidized by welfare into ‘comfortable lifestyle’ that allows for Teslas and vacations in Cuba.

“The couple bought a home in Draper in 2012, using a $400,000 mortgage that Mrs. Meru took out in her name. She used an inheritance from her grandmother for the down payment. Her mother cosigned the loan.“

Holy *expletive deleted*ck.

“Since refinancing his debt with the federal government in 2015, lowering the rate to 7.25%, Mr. Meru’s balance has grown by $148,948. It will keep growing through the 25-year life of the repayment plan until it reaches $2 million. That sum will be forgiven and, at current tax rates, could cost Mr. Meru more than $700,000 in income tax payments.“

Sounds good, right?
Well if he puts away around $2000/month of that at a modest interest rate, he’ll easily be able to pay that off in 25 years, with money to spare.

I have zero sympathy for this *expletive deleted*bag.

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 01:54:10 AM »
IMHO, the student loan program is possibly the worst thing that has ever happened to higher education. First, it has led to a proliferation of for-profit, low grade "degree factory" institutions that may or may not even maintain accreditation, provide a marginal education at best, and accept just about any applicant who can qualify for the loan program.

Not-for-profit (supposedly) colleges are just as bad. With the student loan program out there, they have zero incentive to control costs ... so they don't. They pay tenured professors and administrators ridiculously high salaries because they know they can just jack up the tuition to pay for it. For example:

Yale University: Tuition and standard fees are $69,430 per year. Tack on "optional" fees such as student health coverage, and add another $2,457, for a total of $71,887. The U.S. median income per household for 2016 was $57,617. That's not per person, that's median household income, and a LOT of households today are two-income families. University should not cost more than a normal family's entire annual income.

University of Michigan is more affordable -- if you live in Michigan. In-state total cost per year is $29,526, which doesn't seem unreasonable. But the cost for out-of-state students jumps to $62,176.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
Do those costs include room and board with meal plans?  ...or just the tuition and fees?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
Colleges and lenders; no one in their right mind would expect an individual in any normal job (by which I mean pretty much anything people go to school to learn to do) to be able to pay off debt that's pulling >$100/day interest from the first day on the job.  Even wildly successful doctors and lawyers extremely rarely get that successful to start making that kind of cash before they have a decade or more of experience.

Makes you think the people selling these loans have no expectation of them being paid off.  However, I am sure they got their commission and their boss didn't fire them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
The guy doesn't really look like *expletive deleted*ing moron, I guess looks can be deceiving.

I say this exact thing to myself while in traffic, every day . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
I say this exact thing to myself while in traffic, every day . . . .

Don't be so hard on yourself. 

;) =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
Zero sympathy from me. This smacks of the crap my ex-wife would pull, like coming home in a shiny new Toyota Solara even though she was unemployed at the time. They agreed to loan her the money so she must be able to afford it!  :facepalm:

My Google Fu shows dentists typically spend $200,000 - $300,000 on their education. $400k for some of the more advanced specializations. A million bucks? Not in this universe, or at least not unless you're a complete moron. I'd put a fair wager on more than half that amount being wasted on non-essentials (a nice way of saying he pissed it away on partying, trips, bloated "living expenses" and other stupid crap). He willingly signed on the dotted line. His choice, his problem.

[rant on]
I also don't lean towards the "student loans are too easy to get" mindset. Yes, they have very loose qualification guidelines but it still comes down to borrowing against a potential return. Adult enough to borrow the money equals adult enough to consider the risk and properly service the debt. Borrowing $60k against an engineering degree, likely a sound investment. Borrowing $100k against a Women's and Gender Studies degree, probably an idiot. Unable to exercise some personal restraint or use a calculator? That's not the lender being "easy", that's you being stupid.
[/rant off]

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
Makes you think the people selling these loans have no expectation of them being paid off.  However, I am sure they got their commission and their boss didn't fire them.

Some school loans are generally guaranteed by Uncle Sam (which is part of why they're not dischargeable in a bankruptcy), so they get paid one way or the other. It's just a matter of who picks up the tab...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 12:49:40 AM »
[rant on]
I also don't lean towards the "student loans are too easy to get" mindset. Yes, they have very loose qualification guidelines but it still comes down to borrowing against a potential return. Adult enough to borrow the money equals adult enough to consider the risk and properly service the debt. Borrowing $60k against an engineering degree, likely a sound investment. Borrowing $100k against a Women's and Gender Studies degree, probably an idiot. Unable to exercise some personal restraint or use a calculator? That's not the lender being "easy", that's you being stupid.
[/rant off]

I need to borrow however much you've got in savings and any other reasonably liquid assets.  Don't worry; you'll have the moral high ground of knowing it's in no way your fault for loaning me more than I have the means to repay.

(Actually, the problem there is that if it turned out to be enough, I'd use it to go back and finish a marketable degree, then I might well be able to repay it.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »
I think if Uncle Sam wasn't picking up the tab, the lenders might be a little more careful who they are loaning to and for what. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
I think if Uncle Sam wasn't picking up the tab, the lenders might be a little more careful who they are loaning to and for what. 
Yes. Plus college tuition levels would be kept in check if we did away with the nonsense of 'everyone deserves a college degree.'

Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
I need to borrow however much you've got in savings and any other reasonably liquid assets.  Don't worry; you'll have the moral high ground of knowing it's in no way your fault for loaning me more than I have the means to repay.

In which case you would still be an idiot for taking on more debt than you can reasonably service.

That's the crux of my argument. Everyone wants to pile on the lenders for "making it too easy". I don't tip to that mindset because it has an inherent disregard for the economic responsibility and accountability of borrowers. This general shifting of responsibility from the direct to the indirect which is at the root of many societal issues. Don't blame the person who drank so much they passed out and ran over a kid. Instead, blame the brewery. Don't blame the person who robbed a store and killed the clerk. Instead, blame the gun manufacturer and NRA. It's become a much larger issue of eliminating personal responsibility and trying to lay primary blame on a third-party simply because of association. I don't play that game.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
I don't mean to let the borrower off the hook.  I think both of them should reap what they sow.  I just assume some people are going to be idiots and think they are getting away with something.  The lenders should be more responsible, but they realize they will get paid eventually (by the govt if not the borrower) so why worry about how much it is. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 12:39:06 PM »
I'm going easy on the lenders because they are lending to the letter of the law they are federally mandated to follow. It's the same thing that happened during the mortgage mess of 2006-2009. Sure, some lenders are taking advantage of loose regulations but the majority are simply following the Student Loan Lending Guidelines set forth by the fed.gov. If things are going to change they will need to change at the guarantor (government) level, not the lender level.

Brad
-HankB

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »
13k per MONTH?

F*ck me...this is the kind of *expletive deleted*it that turns nice little taxpayers into sociopaths
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.