Author Topic: England slides even further into tyranny.  (Read 3578 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: England slides even further into tyranny.
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 07:54:12 PM »
...and it was illegal by British law.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-edl-leader-tommy-robinson-12616429

Tommy Robinson is not the hill I'd want to die on, and its not even his real name, its his 4th or 5th alias he's used...

'Count Dankula' OTOH, is a much better case of abuse of free speech. He was convicted of..... making a video of his girlfriend's dog making a 'nazi' salute.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/count-dankula-freedom-of-speech-comedy-joke-iran-offended-a8270631.html

I actually kinda agree with you that this *expletive deleted*che isn't really worth the effort of defending, but you aren't making a very good case for it. 

You said he wasn't jailed for filming a trial, but he was.  Just not the one he was outside this week.

Yes, what he did was illegal under British law, but we are LONG past the point in history where illegal=wrong.   It's not a case of "abuse of free speech", because British subjects don't HAVE freedom of speech.  Which was kinda the point of the OP.

DeSelby, Terry's point was a good one.  In the US a Judge can issue a blatantly unconstitutional order, or the legislature can pass an unconstitutional law, and it'll be happily enforced until some one rich enough comes along and risks standing to sue.  so the idea that "that couldn't happen here" is laughable.  At best it's " that would only last 5 years until the appeals were exhausted here".

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 03:16:50 AM »
I actually kinda agree with you that this *expletive deleted*che isn't really worth the effort of defending, but you aren't making a very good case for it. 

You said he wasn't jailed for filming a trial, but he was.  Just not the one he was outside this week.

Yes, what he did was illegal under British law, but we are LONG past the point in history where illegal=wrong.   It's not a case of "abuse of free speech", because British subjects don't HAVE freedom of speech.  Which was kinda the point of the OP.

DeSelby, Terry's point was a good one.  In the US a Judge can issue a blatantly unconstitutional order, or the legislature can pass an unconstitutional law, and it'll be happily enforced until some one rich enough comes along and risks standing to sue.  so the idea that "that couldn't happen here" is laughable.  At best it's " that would only last 5 years until the appeals were exhausted here".

That’s certainly possible for a range of rights. For a  whole host of reasons a publicly applicable gag order simply isn’t one of them.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »
Ever try cutting watermelon with  a paring knife?  Or a Turkey?   [popcorn]

More to the point, (pardon the pun) a big knife can do nearly everything a little one can, but not the other way around.  I'm pretty far from being a chef or even a short order cook, but I can see a huge advantage in not having to switch back and forth between a big blunt-tipped knife and a tiny pointy one multiple times on a single task like deboning a chicken or turning a large (cheap per-pound) bone-in roast into other cuts.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
I can honestly say I've never tried cutting a watermelon with a turkey.
  You just gotta be patient and watch out for the claws!   =D

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 08:33:45 PM »
  You just gotta be patient and watch out for the claws!   =D

Watermelons have claws??

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
In the UK you can be arrested for publicly quoting Winston Churchill's remarks about Islam:

https://uncertaintist.wordpress.com/tag/the-river-war/

:mad:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
In the UK you can be arrested for publicly quoting Winston Churchill's remarks about Islam:

https://uncertaintist.wordpress.com/tag/the-river-war/

The Turkish woman I know came here to study at M.I.T. She stayed and married my friend because she wouldn't have had any future if she had returned to Turkey. She said women were definitely second-class citizens there -- and this was a long time before Erdogan came to power and started moving Turkey back into the dark ages.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design