Author Topic: BBQ Rub  (Read 3832 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
BBQ Rub
« on: May 27, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
So I've been tweaking my BBQ rub of late. I use it for everything from ribs, to pulled pork, to chicken leg quarters. I also use it as the spice mix for my BBQ baste and BBQ sauce.

3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp + 1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ea onion and garlic powder (not salt!)
1 tsp old Bay seasoning (or 3/4tsp celery salt)
1 tsp sugar
½ to 1 tsp (to taste) Chipotle chili powder

Makes enough for several goes on the smoker, unless you're doing several large slabs of meat at once or something.

For the meat I use it in conjunction with a pre rub mix of yellow mustard and Worcestershire sauce. You can get some idea below, though I'll do a separate write of for ribs the idea is the same on all my BBQ'd meats. Pre rub liquids applied, as you can see a thin layer once rubbed into the meat, and then the rub applied liberally but not so much it's caked on there.

I'll get the grilled prepped and then do this and leave it sit on the counter while it preheats. A half hour, give or take.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: BBQ Rub
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:44:47 AM »
Sounds good but I must say I am more impressed that you measured everything. ;)

BTW, the mustard Worcestershire sauce trick works good on fried eggs also (post cooking/pre eating). :)

bob

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: BBQ Rub
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 06:33:35 AM »
Sounds good but I must say I am more impressed that you measured everything. ;)

BTW, the mustard Worcestershire sauce trick works good on fried eggs also (post cooking/pre eating). :)

bob
Lol.

Normally I'm not a measure sort of person. But for making a spice mix ahead it seemed reasonable.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 11:58:42 PM »
My rub = sorry I don't measure anything ???
Brown sugar
garlic powder
rock salt
cracked black pepper
celery seed
When it tastes right, you'll know it. :old:
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 11:59:40 AM »
My rub varies but always has:

Brown Sugar
Garlic Powder
Kosher Salt
Coarse Black Pepper
Instant Coffee
Ground Sage

Options include:

Chinese Five Spice (it doesn't take much)
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Onion Powder
Cocoa Powder
Whatever else strikes my fancy while looking in the spice cabinet.

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp + 1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ea onion and garlic powder (not salt!)
1 tsp old Bay seasoning (or 3/4tsp celery salt)
1 tsp sugar
½ to 1 tsp (to taste) Chipotle chili powder
I use roughly the same mix, substituting in hot hungarian paprika
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
My rubs are always a catch all throw together affair based largely on what I grab out of the spice cabinet at any given moment.

Always includes salt and garlic powder. Those are givens.

After that, it gets kind of sketchy, but may or may not include: black pepper, red pepper, thyme, sage, cumin, marjoram, nutmeg, dried citrus peel, onion powder, brown sugar, rosemary, bay leaf, mustard powder, adobo powder, paprika (I like smoked paprika for the extra boost), cinnamon, star anise (or chinese 5 spice powder), oregano, basil, chili powder, lemon grass, curry powder, or maybe a couple of others.

The most recent rub I built was: salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, sage, paprika, cinnamon, oregano, smoked paprika, basil, and dry mustard.

That was for a pork loin roast.

Turned out very nice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »
Mine usually used to be a toss together, and I'll vary it a bit or toss in something else as the mood strikes. More spicy,some oregano, etc.

I've found more important than the exact measurements is getting the ratio more or less right, and tweaked to taste of course, and I've found this to be a good base rub. Both that it works on just about everything I stick on the smoker and the measurements above get the ratios about perfect for my taste. And also the end product is just about perfect volume to mostly fill the shaker I use when applying the rub. So I can make a batch in a bowl big enough to combine the ingredients well, transfer it over to the shaker without any leftover and minimal room left in the shaker, and that means I've got enough for several goes on the smoker. So I don't need to make a fresh batch everytime.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
I have a shaker labeled SPOG that gets used on most meats, it's equal parts salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. I may also use paprika and brown sugar, and inject apple cider vinegar.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »
If I'm making the rub myself, I usually keep the salt out of it and just salt the meat the day before. Easier to control the salt content and frees me up to use however much rub that I want without making things too salty. This is what I've been using:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe